ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: I've heard it all now!  (Read 5394 times)

Rick Johnston

Re: I've heard it all now!
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2006, 05:41:01 PM »

Ivan Beaver wrote on Thu, 11 May 2006 00:57

I am sure they will dodge the problem and the customer will be stuck in the middle of the "blame game".  This particular salesman needs the sale, so we will probably do it-much against my wishes.

I feel your pain. Fortunately the salesman and the consultant aren't on the site every day like you are (or will be).

Customers may be ignorant when it comes to system design, integration, and operation, but they aren't stupid: They know who made it work.

By refraining from the politics of finger pointing between the consultant and your company's Honchos, you quietly build a trust with the customer.

When they need something in the future, they'll call you, not the consultant.

I'm feel like preaching to the choir here, Ivan. Just trying to make you feel better.

Regards,
Rick Johnston

Ivan Beaver

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2006, 06:03:19 PM »

We are going to be going through with it, I'll let you know how it goes.  

There was one job that was done by a competitor and there were constant complaints about the bad sound, there was VERY uneven coverage.  This was $500K system-not exactly cheap.  At a meeting about this issue they told the church (we have witnesses) that they have to understand that the budget was cut and the provider could not supply everything that was origionally proposed.  Most of the people understood and jsut said "Well-that is true".  

The real problem with that however was that the PA system itself had not been touched.  What was cut was the playback/record systems and the wireless mics.  I guess I missed the part in which the wireless mics affect the sound system coverage.  But they (the competitor) was just trying to make excusses.  We ended up rehanging and retuning the system and now the customer is happy.

Of course this is the same company (on the same job) that had the main FOH snake with a tail hanging out something like 50' (pulled during prewire).  They were going to chop off something like 30' or more during the final install.  The sheetrock guys building the booth nicked the cable about 10' from the end.  They made the customer buy a whole new snake at a cost of something like $3000, or else they would guarantee anything regarding performance in the system.  The nicked part was going to be cut off anyway!!!!

People make excusses for stuff all the time.  Yes we will be there long after all the "problem" people are gone, and at some time in the future we will be blamed-or at least accussed about the poor design.  There was a good article about "Who's fault is it anyway" a few years ago, that targeted these type things.  You really have to be there at the time to fully understand it.
For every complicated question-there is a simple- easy to understand WRONG answer.

Can I have some more talent in the monitors--PLEASE?

Ivan Beaver
dB Audio & Video Inc.
Danley Sound Labs

Josh Millward

• Meridian, MS
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2006, 09:04:41 AM »

Rick Johnston wrote on Mon, 08 May 2006 18:29

Look at the good side of bad installations, Ivan: It feels really good to walk out of a "fix" knowing we've not only solved the problem, we've gained a new customer.

Regards,
Rick Johnston

While that is true, it just frustrates the all living hell out of me that someone got paid really good money to execute an extraordinarily poor job, basically ripping off the customer. Now that customer looks at everyone in our industry as charlitans and thieves. People doing work like that, no matter WHAT size the company, make our industry look like a bunch of cheats.

I wonder no longer at why people insist on buying the bottom dollar solution. If they are going to get ripped off ANYWAY, why give away more money than they have to.

The whole situation just pisses me off.

Josh Millward
Josh Millward
Danley Sound Labs
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 21 queries.