ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rack Mount LCD's as switcher monitors?  (Read 3867 times)

Ken Freeman

Rack Mount LCD's as switcher monitors?
« on: April 10, 2006, 11:58:27 PM »

I am putting together a small flypack for sub-switching SDI video while we wait for HD to come to us.  I often sub-switch a camera feed into one of our larger widescreen data switchers.  I am thinking seriously of blowing off the usual rack of Sony CRT's and trying the rack mount LCD units (Sony LMD 5320's or Marshall V-R53P).  

Anyone doing this and if so, how is it working?  

I am looking to build a total SDI signal path and wonder if I include the monitor wall in that or not.  Any thoughts?

Ken

Mac Kerr

• SR Forums
Re: Rack Mount LCD's as switcher monitors?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2006, 08:18:48 AM »

Ken Freeman wrote on Mon, 10 April 2006 23:58

I am thinking seriously of blowing off the usual rack of Sony CRT's and trying the rack mount LCD units (Sony LMD 5320's or Marshall V-R53P).  

Anyone doing this and if so, how is it working?  

I am looking to build a total SDI signal path and wonder if I include the monitor wall in that or not.  Any thoughts?
I do a meeting every month for Goldman Sachs, and that is pretty much what we have for video. It is all SDI, and all the rack mount monitors are LCD. There are still 4 SONY 25" CRTs for PGM, Preview, Transmission, and Mix Minus. There are 4 computer displays on top of that for graphics, all else is rack mount Marshalls. It works great.

Mac

Brian K Tennyson, CTS-D

• http://www.visitec.com
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2006, 04:32:23 PM »

We have been using the Marshal LCDs for about 4 years now, pricey but well worth it. I luv em.
You can't get enough, but enough ain't the test.

Brian Kent Tennyson, CTS-D
Visitec
www.visitec.com

Ken Freeman

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2006, 05:46:27 PM »

Just making sure I am not out of my head. I have a client and there tech's who seem to be really hung up on this. The next generation of CRT's is both heavy, expensive and really expensive if you want to drop SDI cards in them....

Thanks

Michael Prasuhn

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2006, 10:23:38 PM »

Ken, I took a look at a major flypack system at one company that I work for, and they are using all Marshall monitors for switcher inputs, looped out of the switcher inputs, and then the outputs of the monitors for the director are looped into router for engineering/screens.

As far as trying to sub switch the SDI signal, I have no idea. This was a large GV Kayak and Acapella system and at first I was very surprised at how they handled the monitor routing but after thinking about it, it makes quite a bit of sense.

-Mikey P
Michael D. Prasuhn
Freelance audio engineer and technical director/IT
http://mikeyp.net
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 20 queries.