ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: too many mics?  (Read 7618 times)

Alan Hamilton

Re: too many mics?
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2004, 05:20:04 PM »

Andy Peters wrote on Sun, 10 October 2004 19:59

AlanH wrote on Sun, 10 October 2004 09:37

Triple-J wrote on Sun, 10 October 2004 06:53

Excellent post Brad.

One could point to a certain canadian power trio who were up to 100+ inputs a couple of years ago...we all know where that road went too. Rolling Eyes

Should I mark that channel "high heat" or "fluff dry"?

I wonder how many mics are used in that one church... the Temple of Syrinx?

Obviously, 112 channels are well beyond the reach of The Working Man...

-a

Ahhhhh true... But all bets are off if you have The Big Money...!!

Me? I'm still Finding My Way...

Very Happy

-AlanH

When I think of a witty saying I will put it here. Please note that my sig space is for rent Smile
http://www.HamiltonSystems.us

havard

• http://soundman.gnteknikk.org
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2004, 08:41:35 PM »

JR wrote on Sun, 10 October 2004 17:51

I recall one church that gave every member of the choir individual hand held mics. They had to stack up two 36 input consoles, but they were very pleased with the sound they got. Can you say proximity effect? There may be a hybrid approach where hand-helds are selectively given to the baritone singers.

JR  

I've tried that "hybrid approach" a few times, never got it sounding all right. The ones with handhelds don't get that "airy" sound, so they really stand out. So i prefere using only handhelds, or only overheads.

John Roberts {JR}

« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2004, 08:48:29 PM »

Thanks... I was just thinking out loud and not speaking from experience.

JR

Charles Johnson

« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2004, 12:55:51 AM »

Scott Fahy wrote on Sat, 09 October 2004 16:56

One of the things I tell people is to stand in front of the choir and see how they sound acoustically then place the mics accordingly

Scott,

The only problem with that approach is that you might end up not mic'ing the choir at all Wink Very Happy

Charles Johnson

Dave Mallon

Re: too many mics? - My Question / Situation
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2004, 08:02:47 AM »

My situation is this:

New choir of 12-15 members.  They do not / cannot project at all.  We have tried 1 & 2 condenser mics, virtually no sound coming through from choir.

Last sunday, tried 7 sm58s (that's all we had left) choir mic'd in pairs or individually.  This was slightly better but still could not be heard over the band clearly at all...

Do I try micing them with cheap (but reasonable quality) condensor mics for each pair (say c1000 or equivalent)??  I would mic them really quite closely to try and avoid any interference.

Could this work or is the experiment doomed to fail before I even get the mic out of the box...?

Your thoughts would be appreciated - I'm fed up with the "I couldn't hear the choir" comments...

Cheers.

Dave Mallon
Formally Scouse Dave.

George Blun

Re: too many mics? - My Question / Situation
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2004, 08:23:55 AM »

I would say that your experiment is doomed to failure. Trying to mic two people with one mic never works. You generally only get one of the two people if you get either one of them at all. To pick up multiple people with one mic you need to use the area mic approach.

Remember, you are fighting a lame duck. You cannot amplify what isn’t there. If the choir isn’t projecting you cannot acquire their sound. Would you try to light your entire sanctuary with a mini mag flashlight? No you need an ample amount of light to light the sanctuary. Same goes for the choir. You need an ample amount of projection from them in order for you to get a usable sound into the microphones.

You may want to have a gentle discussion about this problem with the choir director. Hopefully the choir director can encourage the choir to project.

Rob Warren

« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2004, 05:40:12 PM »

Monty,
Yes, you are using way too many mics.  2 great quality condensers should be maximun number of mics.  Anyway, here is something to try.  
  When I first came on staff at my church a year ago they had 3 booms with one mic on each boom.  I knew that was at least 1 mic too much.  Well instead of fighting this politically and all that junk, I just scooted the 2 outside booms slightly closer to the center boom and I muted the center boom on my console.  This way all 3 mics are still up there (at least visible) but only the outer 2 mics are actually on.  Nobody is the wiser and I was able to put the console EQ practically flat instead of cutting out bass and mids.  (which you can imagine cutting bass and mids not real good for the baritones)
  By the way,  25 people I would think it would be better to make each row longer and only have 2 or 3 rows of people NOT 4.  
  Anyway, try and just mute some mics on the console and see if you can boost just a couple and EQ accordingly.  This just may work out fine.  The 3035 should be an adequate mic I've heard these before.  

Rob
Rob

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2004, 05:40:12 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.015 seconds with 20 queries.