ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: in theory  (Read 3264 times)

ivan

in theory
« on: October 04, 2004, 01:08:32 PM »

Hello,
I know that this is the stupidest question that someone can ask. I want to know in theory wich one will be the correct order on my chain?

1. mix-compressor-eq-crossover-amps

2. mix-compressor-eq-recorder

this are two different set ups. i want to know if this is correct or not?

yam4000vca Jim Gould

Re: in theory
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2004, 01:18:59 PM »

It is really not a stupid question and has come up many times.
Here is the way I always did it and if the last thing in the chain is a recorder or a cross over or amp it does not make any difference.
Mixer  EQ  compressor and either cross over, amp, or recorder.
The reason is if you have the compressor before the EQ it is possible to make EQ changes on the main house EQ that can drastically affect what the sound system or recorder is seeing.
Take about any mixer with the EQ set flat. Use PFL and zero out a channel. Now take and boost the low end on that channel. You will see that you are no longer at 0db. I hope you can see the comparison.

ivan

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2004, 02:15:29 PM »

can you give a more detailed steps of your reply?

Mike Galica

• http://www.maskilstudios.com
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2004, 07:22:54 PM »

IMO, this really depends on what you are using the compressor for.  If it is serving as a limiter for speaker protection it should most definitely be after the EQ in your chain.  Same if you are using it for volume control on the recorder.  That makes sure some joker who doesn't know what he is doing doesn't accidentally boost everything below 100Hz and thus fry your voice coils.  However, if you are using it to compress for taste I would put it before the EQ for the reasons stated by yam4000vca.  Hope this helps
Mike Galica

ivan

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2004, 07:58:34 PM »

[quote title=However, if you are using it to compress for taste I would put it before the EQ for the reasons stated by yam4000vca.  Hope this helps[/quote]

yes is for taste, sometimes when the pastor is using a shure lava-lier (i think sm91 or something) he gets really into his message and starts screaming or he reads and speaks really loud, consequently clipping. i want to eliminate this problem w/compressor. what are the basic # (threshold, attack, etc.) for a voice? thanks

Mac Kerr

• SR Forums
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2004, 07:56:43 AM »

If you are using the compressor because the Pastor has a lot of dynamics, why are you compressing the mixer output? If the issue is with one input, put the compressor on that one input. The insert point on the input channel will be before everything except the mic pre. By using the compressor on the mix output you leave the whole signal chain from mic pre to mixer output open to clipping from the mic.

Mac

Kevin Maxwell AKA TheMAXX

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2004, 09:08:18 PM »

An SM91 is a flat plate type of mic it isn’t a lav. If the lav is a wireless it’s very likely that the pastor (when he is very loud) is actually distorting the wireless transmitters input. Some wireless will distort very easily.  
Kevin Maxwell
Freelance Audio Eng. QBE

Tim Padrick

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2004, 10:01:25 PM »

I find that many wireless need to have the transmitter gain turned all the way down in order to cleanly handle anything other than hefty speach.  There should be a trim pot in the transmitter for that adjustment.

Rob Warren

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2004, 06:05:51 PM »

As said before compressor should be inserted on the only the Lav channel.  Should be an insert 1/4" jack on that channel on the back of your console. Some consoles say send/return  Send is going out to the input of the compressor and return is coming out of the compressor back into the console.  
If it is a single 1/4" jack labelled insert then, send is normally the tip and return is normally the ring and sleeve is ground.  Although you need to verify this on the back of your console.  If it's just 1 jack then you will need an insert cable which is 2 mono 1/4" jacks on one end (compressor end) going into one 1/4" Tip/Ring/Sleeve jack (also called Stereo phone plug) which is the mixer end.  

You should search topics about compressor settings on this forum.  You will need to understand how a compressor works in order to set it correctly.  Also your user manual for the compressor you have should help out alot.  This should explain how every knob works and what it does.  

To quickly answer your question,  My Pastor is one of those extreme dynamic speakers so my compressor is really set to squash the signal.
Threshold is around -10dB or lower and ratio is about 10:1
Attack time is as quick as possible Release time is about 50 msec.
You have to watch your meter of gain reduction to see if your threshold is low enough to where the comp is actually kicking in or not.  

Rob
Rob

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2004, 06:05:51 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 24 queries.