ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Consultant Directory?  (Read 2207 times)

Mike Galica

• http://www.maskilstudios.com
Consultant Directory?
« on: September 30, 2004, 02:48:34 PM »

I'm looking for quality consultants for a fairly large church in Salt Lake City, UT.  As is typical for a church, we can't afford to spend a lot and thus we're looking for someone local.  Does anyone know of some kind of directory to look at where quality is fairly assured?  Thanks a lot
Mike Galica

Brad Duryea

Re: Consultant Directory?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2004, 12:25:45 AM »

Mike,

The travel expenses for a consultant are typically a fraction of the total budget for a sound system. You might figure on about six trips, most of which won't involve a hotel. Keep your focus national if you want to pick the consultant who best meets your needs.

Unfortunately, there is no way to tell if a consultant is qualified unless you research them individually. The NSCA has a searchable member directory available at www.nsca.org which may give you a starting point.

Best regards,
Brad
Brad Duryea (brad@dmgsystems.net)
Principal Consultant
DMG Systems
Houston, Texas
Tel: (281) 531-7350
Fax: (713) 893-6066
Web: www.dmgsystems.net

Tom Young

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2004, 06:52:22 AM »

I know of no qualified church sound system design  and acoustics consultants in the Salt Lake City area.

This is a very specialized field.

It is possible in these times to conduct distance consulting wherein after an initial site visit all of the information exchange is accomplished via the internet, email and FedEx and it may be possible to need to conduct only one additional trip - to commission and optimize the finished system and/or treatments.  Therefore, the cost to hire a consultant from either coast is not terribly high as far as travel is concerned. I have projects in California, Texas, Kansas City and British Columbia, as well as in my "back yard".

Membership in several organizations help to establish a consultant's qualifications. For example; I belong to NSCA  (Nat'l Systems Contractors Association), AES (Audio Engineering Society), ASA (Acoustical Society of America) and SynAudCon (Synergetic Audio Concepts). Most of my peers and competitors do as well.

I encourage you to consider looking for the right consultant by going as far away as it takes.  Then negotiate a fee with expenses and see if you can afford it.
Tom Young, Church Sound section moderator
Electroacoustic Design Services
Oxford CT
Tel: 203.888.6217
Email: dbspl@earthlink.net
www.dbspl.com

Mike Galica

• http://www.maskilstudios.com
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2004, 07:24:44 PM »

Thanks to both of you.  Maybe now the powers-that-be will listen when I tell them the exact same thing.
Mike Galica

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2004, 07:24:44 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 22 queries.