ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Your next computer will be a Mac.  (Read 9758 times)

Stuart Pendleton

Re: Your next computer will be a Mac.
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2006, 11:59:35 AM »

John, I put the smilie for a reason....I love my Mac but fully understand the issues of both platforms as you do.

The graphics are superior on the Mac generally.  Engineering is not a strong point but is possible.  When I started in 1988 as mentioned above, it was at NASA as a Mac power user.  I still work at NASA although in a different capacity now. We have a very strong Mac contingent, probably equal to Windows and sometimes larger.  

Some of our most advanced work (ie computational fluid dynamics) is Mac specific.  More generic engineering work is done on either platform depending on the capability of the researcher more than the specifics of the platform.  Let a genius think where it is comfortable and we can port it later ...... genius is the important issue here.

We are finding it a much better scientific platform since the advent of OSX, and a significant amout of our work is being done there.
I am the luckiest man in the world because I'm married to the most wonderful woman in the world!!

This should have been my company's slogan:
"More bars in more places."  AT&T

Scott Helmke (Scodiddly)

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2006, 01:06:39 PM »

dbx Driveware, Yamaha Studio Manager, XTA processor control software, Shure wireless, etc.  I was resigned to eventually buying a Windows laptop this year, but now I've got the Apple option back!  Extremely cool.

But really I run Linux most of the time anyway.  I can do that on either hardware.  Cool

John Roberts {JR}

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2006, 01:37:31 PM »

Stuart Pendleton wrote on Thu, 06 April 2006 10:59

John, I put the smilie for a reason....I love my Mac but fully understand the issues of both platforms as you do.

The graphics are superior on the Mac generally.  Engineering is not a strong point but is possible.  When I started in 1988 as mentioned above, it was at NASA as a Mac power user.  I still work at NASA although in a different capacity now. We have a very strong Mac contingent, probably equal to Windows and sometimes larger.  

Some of our most advanced work (ie computational fluid dynamics) is Mac specific.  More generic engineering work is done on either platform depending on the capability of the researcher more than the specifics of the platform.  Let a genius think where it is comfortable and we can port it later ...... genius is the important issue here.

We are finding it a much better scientific platform since the advent of OSX, and a significant amout of our work is being done there.

I started out having to write all my own applications in the '70s on a heathkit version of the DEC LSI-11... Fun was plotting out  filter frequency response curves using the tab function on a printer.

These days I'm willing to hard code my little microchips to do their sundry tricks, but I rather plug and play anything I can get away with.

JR
 https://www.resotune.com/

Tune it, or don't play it...
-----

Bennett Prescott

• http://www.adraudio.com
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2006, 05:28:47 PM »

You forgot to talk about walking to school in 10' of snow, uphill both ways, JR. Laughing
-- Bennett Prescott
Director of North American Sales
ADRaudio d.o.o.
Cell: (518) 488-7190

"Give me 6dB and I shall move the world." -Archimedes

Ryan Lantzy

• http://www.lhsoundandlight.com
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2006, 05:38:18 PM »

Andy Peters wrote on Wed, 05 April 2006 13:20

No more excuses: See here.

IMO windows is the worst part of the Intel/x86 package.  I think the hardware has almost always been faster.  

I like Open architecture.  I'll switch to MacOS when they sell it beside windows at CompUSA for ANY computer I want to run it on... PC/Mac/Alpha/etc.

Here's the problem...  Steve Jobs considers Apple a hardware company and always will.  For that reason alone, they have had very little market share for so long.  Mac software is only there to sell mac hardware.

You can pry my Intel/Athlon64/x86/ie32/EMT64 PCI/ISA/AGP/USB/every open standard known to man out of my cold, dead, hands.

The only business apple gets from me is the iPod/iTunes deal.

Ryan Lantzy
"In the beginner's mind the possibilities are many, in the expert's mind they are few."

Andy Peters

• http://www.latke.net/
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2006, 05:59:50 PM »

Ryan Lantzy wrote on Thu, 06 April 2006 14:38

You can pry my Intel/Athlon64/x86/ie32/EMT64 PCI/ISA/AGP/USB/every open standard known to man out of my cold, dead, hands.

Ummm, let's see ... Apple was the first kid on the block to have USB ports on their machines.  (FireWire, too.)

Macs have had PCI slots since the PowerPC.  It took a bit longer for AGP video to show up, but it's there.

ISA?  Who gives a fuck?

Let's see, now:

Name a non-server PC that has:

a) gigabit ethernet standard.
b) 64-bit/66 MHz PCI slots standard.

Apple's had both since the silver G4 machines a few years ago.

Oh, yeah, that's right, gigabit ethernet suffers when on a 32-bit 33 MHz PCI bus and with Windows you really don't get much of a speed boost with it.

-a
"This isn't some upside down inverted Socratic method where you throw out your best guess answers and I correct your work." -- JR

"On the Internet, nobody can hear you mix a band."

Bennett Prescott

« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2006, 06:15:48 PM »

Ryan Lantzy wrote on Thu, 06 April 2006 17:38

Here's the problem...  Steve Jobs considers Apple a hardware company and always will.  For that reason alone, they have had very little market share for so long.  Mac software is only there to sell mac hardware.

Apple is a hardware company for a very good reason. If they didn't keep control of the hardware, everyone would try to run the MacOS on a $300 Gateway laptop and then complain about how much it sucks. Instead, we have the Apple Laptops, which may be the fastest laptops on the planet, and the Apple Desktops, which have a similarly excellent reputation. I'll pay my extra 30% to get the kind of features that Apple just takes for granted.

I'm not a hardcore Mac zealot, but if you want to imply that they're not an industry leader, I suggest you check your numbers. I've spend significant amounts of time on every major platform, and even switched away from the Mac for years at a time, but I know of no other platform that lets me be as productive as I am on the MacOS.
-- Bennett Prescott
ADRaudio d.o.o.

Mac Kerr

• SR Forums
FWIW
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2006, 08:33:03 PM »

For what it's worth, SMAART 6 seems slightly slower running in emulation on my Mac Book Pro, than 5.4 on my Toshiba. Granted it is running in emulation as it is not yet a universal binary, but it is also a dual core 2GHz Mac Book Pro vs a 1.6MHz P4 Toshiba Tecra. It is certainly faster than my last Windows machine, and very usable. The new controls will need some adjustment. The method for saving traces is very different.

Mac

Bennett Prescott

Re: FWIW
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2006, 08:39:50 PM »

Mac Kerr wrote on Thu, 06 April 2006 20:33

For what it's worth, SMAART 6 seems slightly slower running in emulation on my Mac Book Pro, than 5.4 on my Toshiba.

I think the fact that it is only slightly slower is extremely impressive when you consider the kind of work the processor has to do.
-- Bennett Prescott
ADRaudio d.o.o.

Mac Kerr

• SR Forums
Re: FWIW
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2006, 08:53:02 PM »

The Rosetta emulation is supposed to be pretty fast. I have read stories about how sluggish Photoshop is under it although I don't use Photoshop. Vectorworks is supposed to be sluggish, but compared to the 500MHz G4 PowerBook I replaced it is blazingly fast. I am looking forward to the day SMAART, Vectorworks, MS Office, and Filemaker all go native. Those, Safari, and iTunes are the big apps for me. I run Studio Manager on the Toshiba, the PM1D is Windows only, and the PM5D uses a PCMCIA card which the Mac Book Pro doesn't have. I'm always going to want 2 laptops with me anyway so I can surf while I am running show music on iTunes.

Mac
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 21 queries.