Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > LAB Lounge

Presonus 24ch mixer

(1/1)

Oakie Pitakskul:
looking to add to my rental stock of small tier digital consoles, anyone have any issues for it being a part of rental stock/ road worthy?  will it take the heat? the logistics of being thrown around on a truck or by the local house? We are in Bangkok, with weather  in Winter Around 20C (aka 75F) and summer 35 to 40C (90 to 100+F) and almost 100% humid..

Justice C. Bigler:
Man, I just had a hands on demo of this yesterday.

I can't say that I would recommend it for your intended purpose. It just feels too much like prosumer home studio equipment. It's not by any means a pro level console. With the lack of moving automated faders and the console muting itself in between each scene recall (even for just a split second). In my book, it just isn't up to the task of any thing other than the home studio with occasional low level club or church live work.

It's going to cost more, but the LS9-32 will be the console that you want for this level of work, or you can get the LS9-16 or 01V96, or DM1000 and add an ADAT capable 8 channel mic pre or two for a minimal cost to expand the number of inputs.

There is currently a whole thread about the Studio Live mixers on the Theatre Sound Listerv. The unanimous consensus is that it's not appropriate for pro level work of any kind.

Dalton Brand:
Disclaimer: I own both a SL16 & SL24.

Definitely not a theatre board for the scene change issue. Probably not a good general rental board because it hasn't reach critical mass for market acceptance...at least in the US yet. In a few years, mark my word, they will be ubiquitous.

I previously had an LS9-32 and while I really enjoyed using it, in my market it took too long to turn a profit, even with cross-rentals. Plus it was overkill about 75% of the time. I originally shyed away from going the LS-9-16/01v + outboard preamp route because it just didn't strike me as very elegant. I was in the black with the SL24 in about four months.

That said- I love using these boards, have no issues with ruggedness if quality road cases are used and by definition it is a professional board because I keep getting paid. Have used it for a few national touring acts with nary a problem. Dialing in a ten wedge stage, on stage, by myself with the iPad remote is beyond easy.

I can't really comment on the durability in your climate but they are designed and tested in Louisiana.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version