ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Yorkville LS......  (Read 19463 times)

Erik Osland

Re: Yorkville LS......
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2006, 04:47:45 PM »

Alright, this should be a stupid question (I hope).  But how would an ls908 compair with a bassmaxx b-3.  According to their specs, their max spls are about 1.2 db apart, and it looks like they go equally low.

Erik

Erik Osland

Power ratings on Yorkville LS......
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2006, 02:46:58 PM »

Hi,

One more question about the yorkvilles.  They list the "program" rating for each speaker on the website, but it seems more like the continuous rating.  For instace, the ls1004 is a dual 18 sub rated at 1200 watts "program" which would make it 600 watts continuous-300 per driver.  I have never even heard of a 300 watt 18.  Does anyone know for sure?

And would 8 ls808's in a continuous array produce enough bass for 1000+ people outside?  Do they throw far?  I really like the idea of a 114lb horn loaded sub that doesn't require you to delay your tops.  And you can't beat the price on them either.

Evan Kirkendall

• http://www.evankirkendall.com
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2006, 10:44:49 PM »

Rory Buszka wrote on Tue, 11 April 2006 21:03

The Community MVP(40) uses a 300 watt 18" driver.

Yeah, but that box sucks. Wink

Evan
Not all change is good change.

Tom Manchester

• http://www.electrosoundsystems.com
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2006, 12:55:30 AM »

yes, the MVP 40's pretty much suck: Heavy, Weak. But on a good note in Community's favor, I have heard the VLF218 and it's variants (I think the TLF 218 is the same design w/ some improvements) and they kick ass! A DJ had 2 of them powered by PLX3002's I think In our gym when I was in high school and I think he was on the verge of blowing the room up. Everything was quaking!

I would expect similar results from the Yorkville's. +1 vote for them.
-Tom
Electro Sound Systems

Evan Kirkendall

« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2006, 10:59:44 AM »

Rory Buszka wrote on Wed, 12 April 2006 08:36

Then again, you must consider what the MVP speakers are, and who they're for. They are an ultra-budget line, for people who just plain can't afford anything better, and in their particular niche, they still provide a good value. Like anything, I agree there's room for improvement.

Yeah... But 1 LS608 will kill 2 MVP40's, and 1 ls608 costs $550 vs. $703 for a pair of MVP's. The MVP's are very weak, with a max spl of 123db, while the Yorkies will do 123 cont, 131db peak.

And they just suck... DJ's would blow em up, bands wouldnt wanna move em for the power to weight ratio... They are just all around bad subs.

My .02

Evan

Ivan Beaver

Re: Yorkville LS......Getting facts straight and specs
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2006, 07:31:42 PM »

[quote title=Evan Kirkendall wrote on Wed, 12 April 2006 10:59. The MVP's are very weak, with a max spl of 123db, while the Yorkies will do 123 cont, 131db peak.

Evan[/quote]
I have no comment about the particular community in question, but if you are going to spout off specs you need to get them right.  If you look at communities website you will find this  
http://www.loudspeakers.net/files/specs/new/mvp40.pdf  and they publish the max output as 130 NOT the 123dB you state.  Where did you get that figure?

Now in the case of the community, they actually publish the freq response, MEASURED, so you can figure out if the product is right for you.  I cannot find any such measurements on Yorkvilles site.  We have no idea of where the Yorkville sensitivity is actually measured, or the actual freq response-NOT just some numbers that have no reference.

If you really want to play some games with specs look at the Community specs.  At 200Hz the sensitivity is 108dB.  If you take the 300W rating and go up 6 dB (as seems to be the popular way of doing things, you have 1200watts "peak" power. This is a 30.8dB raise over the 108dB sensitivity.  Add it up and you have a "max output" of 138.8dB!!  WOW.  However community does not rate it this way, but they could, if they wanted to use the spec of a bass cabinet of less than 200Hz.  Other manufacturers like to use a bass cabinet much higher-in order to get a higher max output.

Again I know nothing about either the "sound" of the  yorkville or the community, but you can't just throw out incorrect partial specs as fact.
For every complicated question-there is a simple- easy to understand WRONG answer.

Can I have some more talent in the monitors--PLEASE?

Ivan Beaver
dB Audio & Video Inc.
Danley Sound Labs

Tom Manchester

• http://www.electrosoundsystems.com
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2006, 07:44:11 PM »

Well not based upon the specs, but having used both the MVP40 and Yorkville LS608 the 608 does have remarkably higher performance, both measured, observed, and felt.

Some comparisons:

Yorkville:
-Magnet roughly 1.5-2 times the size of the Community's
-Cast frame vs. Community's stamped steel
-Plywood box vs. Community's MDF
-And much much more Smile
-Tom
Electro Sound Systems

Evan Kirkendall

Re: Yorkville LS......Getting facts straight and specs
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2006, 08:02:22 PM »

Ivan Beaver wrote on Wed, 12 April 2006 19:31

Evan Kirkendall wrote on Wed, 12 April 2006 10:59.

The MVP's are very weak, with a max spl of 123db, while the Yorkies will do 123 cont, 131db peak.

Evan

I have no comment about the particular community in question, but if you are going to spout off specs you need to get them right.  If you look at communities website you will find this  
http://www.loudspeakers.net/files/specs/new/mvp40.pdf  and they publish the max output as 130 NOT the 123dB you state.  Where did you get that figure?

Now in the case of the community, they actually publish the freq response, MEASURED, so you can figure out if the product is right for you.  I cannot find any such measurements on Yorkvilles site.  We have no idea of where the Yorkville sensitivity is actually measured, or the actual freq response-NOT just some numbers that have no reference.

If you really want to play some games with specs look at the Community specs.  At 200Hz the sensitivity is 108dB.  If you take the 300W rating and go up 6 dB (as seems to be the popular way of doing things, you have 1200watts "peak" power. This is a 30.8dB raise over the 108dB sensitivity.  Add it up and you have a "max output" of 138.8dB!!  WOW.  However community does not rate it this way, but they could, if they wanted to use the spec of a bass cabinet of less than 200Hz.  Other manufacturers like to use a bass cabinet much higher-in order to get a higher max output.

Again I know nothing about either the "sound" of the  yorkville or the community, but you can't just throw out incorrect partial specs as fact.

I pulled my specs for the max numbers off another site(   http://www.jacksmusicstore.com/catalog/pro-audio/speakers/pr o-skr-a~mvp40). I couldnt get into the community site from my school, so I used that website. They said 123db max. But, as you point out they were wrong...

I pulled my numbers for the yorkies from real life useage. I was running a pair of them around 123dbC cont.(peaks as high as 126dbC whil I was standing there) at an event. The amp(Plx2402 bridged) was only averaging -20, with peaks of -10 on the meters.

BUt, oh well. They still suck. Smile

Evan

Dave Rickard

« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2006, 01:28:34 AM »

Rory Buszka wrote on Wed, 12 April 2006 21:20

I have confirmed that both Community and Yorkville determine their peak output (Yorkville calls it "program") from the published program power figure. Now, some other manufacturers use their peak power (+6dB) and get their "peak" output from that. It's really different for each manufacturer but that's how Community and Yorkville do it.

I'm not spoiling for a fight here, but--

con
Dave
Yorkville dealer

"The wrong piece of gear, at the right price, is still the wrong piece of gear."

"If you don't have good stuff at each end of the signal chain, (mics and speakers) what you use in between is just turd polish."--Dave Dermont

Dave Rickard

« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2006, 01:49:42 PM »

Yes, I understand what you're saying, and it looks like you put a lot of thought into it.

I'm sure you are aware of Ivan's posts about published marketing specs, and how easily the sensitivity rating can be "massaged" by picking and choosing frequency but omitting that data from the spec sheet.

I have a few more questions, since your work all depends on the veracity of those sensitivity ratings.

Where did you get the sensitivity ratings?  Were they measured 1/2 space or anechoic?  Which frequency was used to determine that figure?

Suppose one company uses 100 Hz as it's sensitivity number, and another uses that nasty 1.5kHz peak for it's sensitivity number, what will happen to your calculations?

How have you verified that?

Dave
Dave
Yorkville dealer

"The wrong piece of gear, at the right price, is still the wrong piece of gear."

"If you don't have good stuff at each end of the signal chain, (mics and speakers) what you use in between is just turd polish."--Dave Dermont
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up