ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Yorkville LS......  (Read 19439 times)

Erik Osland

Yorkville LS......
« on: March 29, 2006, 08:03:32 PM »

Hi,

Is it even slightly possible that the specs on the yorkville ls series are accurate?  The ls808 for instace claims to be horn loaded, but it looks front loaded to me.

Erik

Scott Hibbard

Re: Yorkville LS......
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2006, 08:42:32 PM »

Erik,

It's accurate - the 18" driver is mounted on the face of the front baffle, so it will be time aligned already with any other "conventional" (front baffle loaded) top cabinet. There is the rear horn, but the first wave of energy out of the sub will be that off the front of the cabinet. This is what you hear first, the lower frequencies produced by the rear horn are close enough together with that of the front face that the human ear can't perceive any delay difference between them, merely that it sounds "fuller" than if the rear horn weren't there.  

BTW: it's a GREAT peice of equipment for the money.  I've got some and love them!!! I power them with bridged RMX1850's.

ScottH

Erik Osland

Better question--Best mid-grade horn loaded sub
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2006, 09:54:51 PM »

This has been bugging me for a while now.  There are a few mid grade horn loaded subwoofers I've been thinking about, but it really seems like manufacturers in general don't provide very accurate specs.  Even if you do the math yourself you can't really tell how a speaker is going to "hit."  It seems like all of these subs are in the 600-$800 range, and they all have uninflated max spls between 136 and 139.  Can anyone vouch for their actual performance?

EAW bh550
eaw bh800l
eaw la400
cerwin vega ab 36b
yorkville ls908 and 1208

According to specs, the winners for spl (uninflated) are the bh800l and bh550 at about 139.  The winner for freq resp low end is the CV sub at 30 hz.  The lightest weight most portable is the la 400 (120 lb 36x36x21).  The Yorkies are the least expensive.  And the CV's and Yorkies are probably the most readily available on the used market.  But who hits the hardest?
My guess by looking at things is the 800l or the CV (considering that dj's love them).
I'd like to get 12 subs (probably 8 if I go with the bh800l's they're pretty big) so that I can use them for a variety of applications in multiple concerts per night.  I really like the idea of the pole mounting cup on top as well.

Mike MacWillie

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2006, 09:58:08 PM »

The CV sucks.  Smile

The yorkies are both great.

Evan Kirkendall

• http://www.evankirkendall.com
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2006, 10:25:54 PM »

Mike MacWillie wrote on Wed, 29 March 2006 21:58

The CV sucks.  Smile

The yorkies are both great.

Agreed.

Evan
Not all change is good change.

Antone Atmarama Bajor

• http://www.geocities.com/somesoundgreat
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2006, 02:33:03 AM »

I would also add That CV probably doesn't have meaningful extension to 30Hz in any configuration.  Its probably the -10dB down from the -3dB down from the conveniently determined +/-3dB Tolerance band.  Of course the SPL measure probably is derived from some out of pass band frequency, which is 10dB louder than average SPL.

But they will probably deliver plenty of good DJ style Bass HIT.  So buy 12 of them and they will bump to the good ole 808 sound all night long.

Why stop at 12 why not spend money on 24 of them and order a couple of 10KW generators to power them.

Sweeet.

Antone-

Evan Kirkendall

• http://www.evankirkendall.com
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2006, 02:58:04 PM »

Antone Atmarama Bajor wrote on Thu, 30 March 2006 02:33

I would also add That CV probably doesn't have meaningful extension to 30Hz in any configuration.  Its probably the -10dB down from the -3dB down from the conveniently determined +/-3dB Tolerance band.  Of course the SPL measure probably is derived from some out of pass band frequency, which is 10dB louder than average SPL.

But they will probably deliver plenty of good DJ style Bass HIT.  So buy 12 of them and they will bump to the good ole 808 sound all night long.

Why stop at 12 why not spend money on 24 of them and order a couple of 10KW generators to power them.

Sweeet.

Antone-

I'd rather have 2 LAB's. Wink

Evan
Not all change is good change.

Erik Osland

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2006, 06:59:34 PM »

I first off would like to say I like the way you think. BOOM BOOM GOOD!!!  But, has anyone heard the eaws?  I know their old skool, but if their specs are accurate, 8 of them would destroy 12 yorkies.  So, I realize that aes or some organization probably imposed some sort of standards for output measurements after the creation of the bh-l series.  Does anyone know how 109 db sensitivity-old skool compairs to 106 new school?

Mac Kerr

• SR Forums
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2006, 07:23:33 PM »

Erik Osland wrote on Thu, 30 March 2006 18:59

I first off would like to say I like the way you think. BOOM BOOM GOOD!!!  But, has anyone heard the eaws?  I know their old skool, but if their specs are accurate, 8 of them would destroy 12 yorkies.  So, I realize that aes or some organization probably imposed some sort of standards for output measurements after the creation of the bh-l series.  Does anyone know how 109 db sensitivity-old skool compairs to 106 new school?
If you read the specs on the EAW site for the BH800L or BH550 you may notice that the word "subwoofer" is conspicuous in its absence. The BH series were the low frequency elements of multiway systems. The BH800 is rated up to 400Hz, the BH550 is rated up to 600Hz. You can be sure the high output sensitivity is due to this.

The CV SL36 series are famous one note wonders.

Mac

Adam Kane

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2006, 01:59:43 PM »

There's a post somewhere here (lounge??) where Evan talks about four of the Yorkvilles "blurring his vision" with less than 5000 watts.  Haven't heard it for myself, but I've use several other Yorkville subs and it wouldn't suprise me.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 20 queries.