ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Speaker Terms  (Read 2007 times)

Darin Bradfield

Speaker Terms
« on: March 27, 2006, 09:44:29 AM »

Can any one help me out here. seen a few things about loudspeakers i would actually like to read up on. but i have no idea what it's called, so doing a search is next to impossible... "triangle like thing with speakers" just doesn't cut it Smile

Whats it called when they put the speakers into a V playing pretty much into one another?

Whats it called when they put metal in front of the speaker... pretty much covers most of the speaker, has slits in it?

I am guessing it is the same as above when they have say a 10 inch speaker firing through a 5 inch hole?

sorry if the questions are stupid, but the only way i can actually learn about the above is if i know what to search for.

Regards
Darin Bradfield

[x]

Re: Speaker Terms
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2006, 01:06:26 PM »

In some subwoofers, when the woofers fire into each other, this is usually done for space savings but some other manufacturers specifically design the manifold to equalize the air loads in front  of and behind the large woofer to lessen nonlinearities in the cone motion. I don't know how this really works, I just know that's what manufacturers claim it does. And if it does what the manufacturers say, then it has the effect of lowering distortion. Void Acoustics loads its 18" driver to a "pressure plate" which I suppose has a similar effect. This also has the effect of forming an acoustic low-pass filter.
I've said and written things in the past that I wouldn't throw away in my own trash can for fear that you'd find them. My name is mud.

Darin Bradfield

Re: Speaker Terms
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2006, 01:29:56 PM »

lost of the line array systems do it... is that pretty much the same thing they are trying to do?
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 19 queries.