ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HELP: outgrown MW3 16:2  (Read 912 times)

Thomas R. Pullen

HELP: outgrown MW3 16:2
« on: March 21, 2006, 10:10:44 PM »

We are currently a mobile church.  We start at 7:45am by loading the trailer.  We setup and soundcheck by 9:30, 10AM service and by 12:15, we are unloaded and finished.  All that to say, we need portable.  We are looking for the right location and will likely be mobile for the next year or so.  All that said, we want to spend out money wisely and get something that we will not outgrow anytime soon.

I can see a need for 20+ channels in the near future.  We are running vDrums but may go to real drums in the new building necessitating several more than just the 20.

I am looking at 3 different paths.  
- The first, a submixer for some thing but frankly...I don't like that idea.  
- Second, a full size 32 channel board like the Allen&Heath GL series.  We would need to get a new rack as the MW is in the top of the current one.  Also, space in the trailer is very limited.  
- Lastly, I am looking at something like the 01V96v2.  What all do I need to get with the 01v to run 24-40 channels of analog ins, at least 4 monitor auxes, and 2 auxes for verbs and delays?

OK, so you can see I am leaning toward the 01v96. Smile  Any other ideas or insight as the the 01's usability by volunteers would be great.

Thanks,
Thomas R. Pullen

Chuck Safrit

• http://sites.google.com/site/mrsafrit
Re: HELP: outgrown MW3 16:2
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2006, 11:13:16 AM »

Ok first comment would be to stay on the V-drums even in the new building. It is easier to get a good mix from with out having to deal with the loudness that is acoustic drums muddying up the mix.

Next on the 01V96. I just got mine a while back it has been on a couple of gigs with me so here is an idea of what you might want to look into for it.

Channel inputs, it says 40 but in reality it is 32 channels the other 8 are the 4 stereo returns that you can use if you need to. 8 aux sends and 8 buses. now for the reality part of it. the input built in is 12 mic/line inputs and 4 line/stereo inputs. the line/stereo inputs are trs so you can get a simple adaptor from xlr-trs for them and be good to go. It does have a full 16 faders plus master on each layer. There are also stereo main outs and 4 "omni" outs. The omni outs are trs. What I would suggest is using the on board effects (there are up to 4 processors) so as your not eating up any outputs. Get you at least one of the ADA8000 or another 8in/8out AD/DA converters. This will boost you to 24 inputs and give you the 8 outs for aux sends and such. The 01v96 comes with 8in/8out optical connectors built in so if you only need 24 inputs you wont need an extra card. For your situation if you didn't need the extra inputs you could do with just the board and be good to go with no externally preamps.

Like I said I have used mine for just a couple of gigs now and I have found that in the heat of the battle I actually mix more on the actual surface than from the computer interface that I have connected. The one thing I am working on getting setup and would actually use the computer interface for would be getting it set up for wireless with a tablet PC for setting up monitors, or walking around and fine tuning things. With the wireless tablet you can turn things on and up from stage and fine tune your monitors as if your sitting behind the board. There is a bit of a learning curve but no more than using an analog board for the first time. All in all I would highly suggest this board. Feel free to pm me if you have any specific questions.
Chuck
Safrit Sound
Now located in Asheboro, NC. Freelance mixing and event planing. Convenient to Greensboro and triad area.
------
Why do they call what medical doctors do a practice?

Thomas R. Pullen

Re: HELP: outgrown MW3 16:2
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2006, 11:54:04 AM »

Is the 01V96 my best bet for long term expansion?  Does chaining 2 of them together really make for a useful work surface or is that just marketing?
Thomas R. Pullen
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 20 queries.