ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Which ones to build? 2-LABhorn, 4-Tuba36, or 4-Tuba30  (Read 8622 times)

Randy Smith

Which ones to build? 2-LABhorn, 4-Tuba36, or 4-Tuba30
« on: March 21, 2006, 11:35:52 AM »

I need more low end extension.

My main concern is sound QUALITY.
A very close second to that is DEEP bass. (synthesizer and large scale surround sound for movies.)

I have been thinking of going with Labs. (only one per side) The size and weight is my only concern but will grunt harder for perfection, also it should be in groups of 4+.

If I go with the Tubas I will put two per side and build the slim 24 inch wide version. I just don’t know which one would sound better. Even with the T36 I have the choice of vertical or horizontal baffle. (I guess that makes four to choose from)

Anyone with experience with these PLEASE I need some real world wisdom. I have not yet been able to hear either of these and without that hands-on type of knowledge it is very hard to make a good decision.

If the LABS are far superior even as a single I will definitely go that way.

Please tell me your impression of how they sound and which of the four would be the best choice.(I am also open to suggestions if you know of something better suited)

Mostly I do Contemporary Gospel to light rock and some 70s mostly for youth groups (youth rally’s and such) and young adults. Most are 500 to 1000 people while I have done some 5000 with the bigger ones usually outside.

Thanks
Randy Smith

bgavin (Bruce Gavin)

Re: Which ones to build? 2-LABhorn, 4-Tuba36, or 4-Tuba30
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2006, 05:20:36 PM »

The 24" slim Tuba36 is a pretty small mouth area for your stated needs.  This configuration does not have sufficient mouth area to go as far down as you require.

Splitting them (LABS or Tubas) on either side of stage defeats the advantage of clustering them together for a collective increase in mouth area.

You specify surround sound movies, and this tells me you need a horn with a long path and low Fc.  The LAB horn is significantly longer than the T36, and has a lower reach with sufficient mouth area.

Randy Smith

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2006, 11:14:52 PM »

If I recognize your name right I believe you have both.

If  so how do they compare one for one sound quality wise?

If you had to chose one – which would it be and why?

P.S. The movie part is a hardly ever event but I would like to make it as good as I possibly can. (either one will waaaayy out do what I have now!)

Thanks for your response

peter.golde

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2006, 09:06:26 PM »

"The LAB horn is significantly longer than the T36, and has a lower reach with sufficient mouth area."

?

I didnt think the Lab had a significantly longer path than the Tuba36.
I can probably build 4 Tuba 36's for the same price as 2 Labs, and I dont think the Labs will go any lower. What is your experience?
I know how the Labs sound, they don't kill down low unless corner loaded or used in groups of 2 or more. The Tuba's have a different sound because of the bandpass effect, but that makes them more useful with less than optimal mouth area, one or two per side. I know I would much rather have 2 24" wide Tuba30's than a single Lab, but I am curious how 4 Tuba36's in a group would sound. I know the Tuba36 with a Horizontal baffle would be easier and cheaper to build than a Lab. I am putting together an outdoor rig for Live or DJ use, and am leaning toward the T36's.
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer" - Frank Zappa

Dave Rickard

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2006, 12:15:11 AM »

Try contacting Gary Perrett.  Search for his name here and on Bill's forum.  He has experience with Labs and certain Tubas.

Dave
Dave
Yorkville dealer

"The wrong piece of gear, at the right price, is still the wrong piece of gear."

"If you don't have good stuff at each end of the signal chain, (mics and speakers) what you use in between is just turd polish."--Dave Dermont

Randy Smith

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2006, 06:51:46 AM »

I did PM him about a week ago, but no reply.

Randy Smith

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2006, 07:04:58 AM »

The way I priced them the Lab will cost about $12.00 more than the T36/24"

The drives for Lab are $146 each and need two = $292.00
The (recommended)driver for T36/24" wide is $282.00

best I can tell both take about 3 - 4 X 8 sheets although the t36 uses some of it 1/2". The best price I can find it is only one dollar different in price.

At first, I thought the same as you -- build two for the price of one. That made the decision easier. Now that they are the same price I don't know which to build.

PLEASE SOMEONE HELP

Thanks
Randy Smith

Chris Coleman 2

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2006, 07:23:23 PM »

My opinion:

If you can listen to them both side by side, that would be the best.

Second best, read the reviews of the sub shootout that was held within the last year. I don't recall if BOTH the LAB AND the tuba were there.. but at least you will get opinions of whichever DIY sub(s) were there.

Third best, I would go off the reputation and testing methods of the designers. LAB is designed by a very renowned name in the sub industry, was tested and verified with industry standard audio spectrum sweep software, and is a touring grade sub, as in Metallica or Rod Stewart or Britney Spears.  Tuba is meant for a 4-piece garage band that has to roadie their own PA so it is designed to be as light as possible while still providing performance, but the designer does not use industry standard tools to test frequency response etc, instead he prefers to manually gather data points on the frequency curve... so for this reason, it is not considered to be verified as a truly touring grade sub.

If the cost is equal, build two LABs and put them front and center of the stage.. coupling the mouths of the horn for increased bass extension.

peter.golde

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2006, 11:04:05 PM »

I would put my pair of Tuba30s up against any box on the planet of equal size, including a single Lab. The only ones that would give it any competetion would probably be someones DIY, I am not sure if Danley has a box that small, but if he does, it would be interesting.
The only standard in "the industry", is not being totally honest about specs, as Mr. Fitzmaurice is. If you have the time and some woodworking skills, they are well worth it, as a lot of people are finding out.
The Tuba36 can be built for less than a Lab, no aluminum plates required, most of the path length and bracing is 1/2"BB, and a wide variety of drivers work well in this design.
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer" - Frank Zappa

Antone Atmarama Bajor

• http://www.geocities.com/somesoundgreat
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2006, 11:33:56 PM »

I'd go with a pair of labs.  Or a Quartet.

I'm sure the tubas are reasonable but I don't think their linearity or extension are that great.

I find this claim questionable:

Quote:

a wide variety of drivers work well in this design.

I'm sure my feet would work and fit in many different sized shoes too but certainly not well.  I need a size 10D with arch support. A flat foot size 10D would be murder on my feet.

The shoe needs to be tailored to fit the foot for best, comfort fit and performance.  And the same goes for your speaker enclosure.  Build the enclosure around the speakers needs.  Though there certainly is a trend to build the box to some size needs then hope you can find a driver to suit it.

what ever

I've been bitten by the sawdust bug.  I say you should seek the best balance between cost efficiency, performance and practicality.  Unless you're like me and you just don't care and would give your first born for the most excesive impractical Sub woofer imaginable all in the name of more High spl LF extension.  

Antone-

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 21 queries.