ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Digital Scaler/Switcher for Projector  (Read 2467 times)

Gareth Marsh

Digital Scaler/Switcher for Projector
« on: March 11, 2006, 07:23:36 pm »

Hi guys.

I'm mostly a soundie but my school is installing a projector and motorized screen and I have been able to get things sorted so far, but I need a bit of info.

The projector is mounted on the ceiling and we need to get a signal to it somehow. At the moment we have a single run of 75ohm with an RCA on each end that is about 20m long, but when we need to hook up a laptop to it, that is useless.

The supplier of the projector, etc recommended something like the Kramer VP-724xl scaler ( http://www.kramerelectronics.com/indexes/item.asp?desc=462 )

The trouble is that this outputs VGA, and I am wondering whether this is the best signal to run for about 20m?

Is there a better option available? What do you guys use for this? I assume this is a common problem with installed projectors.

The projector needs a switcher of sorts, its only convenient to have one signal cable running to the projector, but I am unsure as to whether VGA is the best solution.

The price would have to be similar to the Kramer unit, which is about $2000NZ.

Thanks in Advance.

Gareth

Sheldon Gooi

Re: Digital Scaler/Switcher for Projector
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2006, 08:44:25 pm »

Hi Gareth,

I've had ok results running VGA for 20m. You might also want to try RGB cable, and have the ends converted back to VGA. Of course, fibre optic would give you the best signal, but probably burn a hole in your pocket.

Since you're looking at the VP724, you might want to consider the VP-719. Got only 1 VGA input, and no PIP, BUT cheaper. Also check out EXTRON's IN1508. it's a new product, priced quite low and very similar to the Kramers.

If you only have composite cable, and resolution is not an issue, you could scan convert the VGA signal. I've had good results with Communications Specialties scan converters.

Good luck,

Sheldon
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 21 queries.