ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Source 4 maintenance  (Read 1738 times)

Adam Feldstain

• http://www.pro-opticlighting.com
Source 4 maintenance
« on: March 04, 2006, 06:46:34 pm »

We have a stock of about 30 or so Source 4 Lekos that we use regularly. I need to give all the snoots and reflectors a very good cleaning the dust and dirt that has been caked on over the years is starting to effect the focus by forming a blue cloud around any gobo image we try to project.  

Does anyone have any suggestions for both solvents and applicators to efficiently clean them without scratching the lenses, or removing any UV coating that may be on there?

I have tried camera lens cleaners but they are too small to do the job on a lens that big. And if I need to buy two per lens and I have 30 to clean it will get very expensive.

Thanks in advance.
Adam Feldstain
Pro-Optic Lighting
djallf AT djallf DOT com

Kurt Hansen

Re: Source 4 maintenance
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2006, 10:30:53 am »

The Source 4 manuals are available as PDFs on www.etcconnect.com.  The cleaning instructions are:

Cleaning
ETC offers the following recommendations when cleaning and inspecting lenses
and reflectors:
Do not
use glass or window type cleaners on lenses (glass or polymer) or
reflectors.
Do not
use abrasive materials such as steel wool.
Replace lenses if they contain visible damage (cracks or deep scratches) that may
impair their effectiveness.
Cleaning 19

Brian Ship

Re: Source 4 maintenance
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2006, 04:21:21 am »

denatured alcohol as a vehicle and a lint free towel works well.  So do the towels that come with moving light lamps.

Otherwise since these lenses are not dichric coated, a good washing in your house's dish washer while using a good jet dry type anti-spotter should work well.  Wash the lenses by themselves and not with the pots and pans, but otherwise on other forums, others note this tactic works well with lenses.

On the 5 to 10 degree lenses given they are plasic, this might be the only method that works well beyond a soft brush that wisks off dirt.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 18 queries.