ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Kilomax 15" or Omega-Pro-15A  (Read 4812 times)

Primo Desiderio

Re: Primo Desiderio was:Re: Kilomax 15" or Omega-Pro-15A
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2006, 04:22:51 AM »

Thanks for replying to to this post.

Here is the only review I found on the 15" Kilomax.

"WAY OVERRATED KILOMAX"
Feature:
Solid structure with ciol heat sink .

Quality:
Ran a pair with a crest ca9 , after 15 shows at moderate volume it fried both of them! never bothered the celestions that were rated alot less, it appears that because of the big heat sink they feel they can rate it much higher, but if you are pumping a live kick at 400 or 500 watts your gona blow them eventually, I was really disapionted

Value:
they are very overrated

Sound:
Sound is full and tight with good ultra low response.

Support:
oh well too bad must of been dc distortion.

Overall:
they have severly overrated this speaker. If you think your gona get a speaker that will handle 1000 watts you are in for a big suprise, they were ok at 300-400 but thats it.

Has anyone seen a good review?

With the last post and this combined

I'm starting to lean towards the Omega Pro

Play this song and everybody will dance, I guarantee it!

RYAN LOUDMUSIC JENKINS

Re: Kilomax 15" or Omega-Pro-15A
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2006, 09:57:17 AM »

I have kilomax drivers in my tops and the cover from ~80 to ~1200 hz.  They are loud and clean.  They handle way more power then the bogus review you found.  I have never had an issue with a 15" kilomax.  I can not say the same for the Kilomax 18"

I have had numerous times with the 18" where the silicone that attaches the spider to the frame/magnet comes off.  I have re-siliconed them several times and found that if you follow the idiom "The bigger the glob, the better the job" then they will not come off again.  I also have had two of them where the spider broke right next to the cone.  Those two were covered under warranty.  The replacements were a little different than the originals and I have not experienced any problems with them.  The replacements are also rated at 1250 watts each.

My understading from reading the eminence website is that they do not recommend using the kilomax in a folded horn type box.  You may want to read the info on the website about them.
Ryan Jenkins
"Two days until the end of when I don't know what to think.  Three days until I start the cycle all over again!"

Please visit my website at http://www.murphygirl.com

Too Tall (Curtis H. List)

Re: Primo Desiderio was:Re: Kilomax 15" or Omega-Pro-15A
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2006, 10:23:19 AM »

Primo Desiderio wrote on Fri, 03 March 2006 04:22

Thanks for replying to to this post.

Here is the only review I found on the 15" Kilomax.

"WAY OVERRATED KILOMAX"
Feature:
Solid structure with ciol heat sink .

Quality:
Ran a pair with a crest ca9 , after 15 shows at moderate volume it fried both of them! never bothered the celestions that were rated alot less, it appears that because of the big heat sink they feel they can rate it much higher, but if you are pumping a live kick at 400 or 500 watts your gona blow them eventually, I was really disapionted

Value:
they are very overrated

Sound:
Sound is full and tight with good ultra low response.

Support:
oh well too bad must of been dc distortion.

Overall:
they have severly overrated this speaker. If you think your gona get a speaker that will handle 1000 watts you are in for a big suprise, they were ok at 300-400 but thats it.

Has anyone seen a good review?

With the last post and this combined

I'm starting to lean towards the Omega Pro

Tell me if I have this correct.

You have a folded horn sub similar in design to the LAB SUB, only it is bigger and takes two 15” instead of 12”.
Is this correct?

You have 15” drivers in it now and you like the sound of the bass, but you want to put in more expensive 15” for better power handling so you can shove more watts into it.
Is this correct?

Each driver will work best with a specific box design. In your case you have a folded horn box already so you must match the driver to the box. This is determined by the driver T/S parameters (Qms, Qts, Qe, Fs, VAS, etc). These are listed for the drivers you are interested in at the Eminence site.

Things get much more complicated because you are using a horn loaded design. For simple ported or sealed designs there are many modeling programs that are simple to use. There are also modeling programs for horn loaded subs, BUT they are much more complex and have a very steep learning curve.

You have a driver you like in there now. You could try and find another driver that has close to the same T/S parameters except it has higher power handling without losing sensitivity. The odds on doing this are not good.

Beyond that your positive subjective evaluation of the sub with the current driver could turn out to be in error. It would help if you could measure this beast outdoors to make sure you are not in love with a box with the main features being a peak at 50Hz and lots of  harmonic distortion. It is easy to fool your ears if you don’t have something to compare it to be it another sub woofer or an honest measurement.

Too Tall
        Curtis H. List    
             Bridgeport, Mich.   
        I.A.T.S.E. Local # 274 (Gold Card)
        Lansing, Mich
Independent Live Sound Engineer (and I'm Tall Too!)

Primo Desiderio

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2006, 02:46:58 PM »

Ok that it, I'm going with the Omega 15".  Kilomax seems to stress full I don't want to be replacing spiders and have my receptacles hanging out.  I also don't want be worrying if I turn them up that the thing in the middle will blow thru my speaker.

Omega seems to be the answer, cheaper and I have not heard anything bad about them.

I am going to run two of those fat Behringers amps in bridge mode, 2500 watts, one on each speaker.  I think they might higher me for the Superbowl!

Ivan Beaver

« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2006, 07:50:05 PM »

Folded horns are VERY picky about the particular speakers that are used in them.  It is not simply a guessing game.  Unless you  supply some more information, you are not likely to get any useful answers.
For every complicated question-there is a simple- easy to understand WRONG answer.

Can I have some more talent in the monitors--PLEASE?

Ivan Beaver
dB Audio & Video Inc.
Danley Sound Labs

Bud Bolf

« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2006, 09:02:01 PM »

Hi Primo,
I saw this Post and I do use the Omega Pro 15's.
However I use them in a Dual Driver, vented and divided, front
reflex Sub Cab.
I love these speakers they really sound great!
I also, like you, had the cabs but needed Speakers.
I went to various speaker design websites such as WinISD
and checked out Speakers to cabs.
Link to WinISD: http://www.linearteam.dk/
I loaded in the T/S parameters and checked out JBL, EV
Peavey LowRiders and various Eminence speakers.

It just turned out that when all the simulations were complete, it was the Omega Pro's that best fit my cabs.
I must have done a good job though because my cabs sound great!

Maybe your best question (rather than which speaker is best)
should be help in locating Software that will let you do the Speaker Simulations that you need to do for your cab's specs.

It took me quite awhile to search out the Speakers for my cabs!
Even quite a few posts here as well, there is no easy way!
I got lucky but I think next time I'll buy my Cabs already designed!
Good Luck in your Quest!
     Bud

Primo Desiderio

« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2006, 02:41:12 AM »

Yes the measurements, sounds interesting, thanks.

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 19 queries.