Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > Lighting Forum

Moving Head Mounting Question

(1/2) > >>

Chris Hunt:
We have 4 10 ft' vertical truss that we line up behind the band and then put poles from truss to truss to hang our movers on.  I saw at a church service I recently went to where they suspended a mover from what appeared to be a pole attached to ceiling truss hanging straight down.  Anyone know what I'm describing?  I want to do this on the 2 inside movers to break up the vertical placement and provide some different scene possibilities.  Asside from making them myself, anyone know who might sell these?  Thanks! 

Thomas Bishop:
That would be Light Source drop downs:
http://www.thelightsource.com/products/45/view

I just bought a few of them myself.  You'll need a clamp at the top and a clamp and pipe at the bottom in order to hang a moving light.  I don't have any closeups of the rigging, but here's a picture of the outcome:
http://www.nomadicpro.net/photos/circasurvive04.jpg

Craig Leerman:

--- Quote from: Chris Hunt on February 17, 2011, 02:54:05 PM ---We have 4 10 ft' vertical truss that we line up behind the band and then put poles from truss to truss to hang our movers on.  I saw at a church service I recently went to where they suspended a mover from what appeared to be a pole attached to ceiling truss hanging straight down.  Anyone know what I'm describing?  I want to do this on the 2 inside movers to break up the vertical placement and provide some different scene possibilities.  Asside from making them myself, anyone know who might sell these?  Thanks!

--- End quote ---

What you are referring to is called a "side arm". They are used to mount a fixture on a vertical or horizontal pipe.  Here is a link with a few examples from City Theatrical.

http://www.citytheatrical.com/act-ssidearms.htm

The picture on the left of that linked page shows a hanging arm that would be perfect for your application. It has 2 half couplers at the top to secure the drop down arm to  a truss.

The "standard" style side arm in the biz is basically a C clamp with a short length of pipe mounted to it, and a sliding "T" that slides over the pipe and allows you to position the fixture any where along the pipe's length.

Altman, and others all make them.

Here is a pic of the "standard" style

Royce Covington:
i believe both responses are missing the "moving light" portion of the question.  as none of the suggestions would be suitable for such an application.

if i understand correctly, you are wanting to suspend the movers below the truss, perhaps, several feet?

if so, i have seen this done in larger productions where a "pipe" apparatus was used to suspend movers from the end, side or below a truss.  often in a "T-bar" configuration, attached to the truss with swivel-clamps, or similar.

i know of no direct source for such a product, as the device was often custom-fabricated by the provider.

R~

Thomas Bishop:
No, I'm not missing anything.  I hung MAC250's off the Light Source drop downs using the method I described.  I also posted a picture of the rig.  I'll try to get a closeup of the entire rigging later today, but it's a clamp to the truss, the drop down, a clamp at the bottom, then an 18" horizontal pipe.  The light clamps to the pipe.  It makes an upside down T.  Originally I had considered using a pair of these with custom length pipe.  I would say that if going more than a couple of feet this will be much more stable.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version