ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Moving Head Mounting Question  (Read 12996 times)

Chris Hunt

Moving Head Mounting Question
« on: February 17, 2011, 02:54:05 PM »

We have 4 10 ft' vertical truss that we line up behind the band and then put poles from truss to truss to hang our movers on.  I saw at a church service I recently went to where they suspended a mover from what appeared to be a pole attached to ceiling truss hanging straight down.  Anyone know what I'm describing?  I want to do this on the 2 inside movers to break up the vertical placement and provide some different scene possibilities.  Asside from making them myself, anyone know who might sell these?  Thanks! 
Chris Hunt
Limelight - FOH
-----------------------------

Thomas Bishop

Re: Moving Head Mounting Question
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2011, 02:13:53 PM »

That would be Light Source drop downs:
http://www.thelightsource.com/products/45/view

I just bought a few of them myself.  You'll need a clamp at the top and a clamp and pipe at the bottom in order to hang a moving light.  I don't have any closeups of the rigging, but here's a picture of the outcome:
http://www.nomadicpro.net/photos/circasurvive04.jpg

Craig Leerman

• Global Moderator
  • Do Not Read This!
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2011, 01:14:44 AM »

We have 4 10 ft' vertical truss that we line up behind the band and then put poles from truss to truss to hang our movers on.  I saw at a church service I recently went to where they suspended a mover from what appeared to be a pole attached to ceiling truss hanging straight down.  Anyone know what I'm describing?  I want to do this on the 2 inside movers to break up the vertical placement and provide some different scene possibilities.  Asside from making them myself, anyone know who might sell these?  Thanks!

What you are referring to is called a "side arm". They are used to mount a fixture on a vertical or horizontal pipe.  Here is a link with a few examples from City Theatrical.

http://www.citytheatrical.com/act-ssidearms.htm

The picture on the left of that linked page shows a hanging arm that would be perfect for your application. It has 2 half couplers at the top to secure the drop down arm to  a truss.

The "standard" style side arm in the biz is basically a C clamp with a short length of pipe mounted to it, and a sliding "T" that slides over the pipe and allows you to position the fixture any where along the pipe's length.

Altman, and others all make them.

Here is a pic of the "standard" style
I'm so old, when I was doing FOH for Tommy Dorsey, to balance out the horn section I would slide their chairs downstage and upstage to mix!

TechWorksReno.com
Facebook.com/TechWorksReno
Pinterest.com/TechWorks0492

Royce Covington

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2011, 08:37:00 PM »

i believe both responses are missing the "moving light" portion of the question.  as none of the suggestions would be suitable for such an application.

if i understand correctly, you are wanting to suspend the movers below the truss, perhaps, several feet?

if so, i have seen this done in larger productions where a "pipe" apparatus was used to suspend movers from the end, side or below a truss.  often in a "T-bar" configuration, attached to the truss with swivel-clamps, or similar.

i know of no direct source for such a product, as the device was often custom-fabricated by the provider.

R~
"If you love what you do, you'll never work another day in your life..."

- Confucius

Thomas Bishop

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2011, 09:40:39 AM »

No, I'm not missing anything.  I hung MAC250's off the Light Source drop downs using the method I described.  I also posted a picture of the rig.  I'll try to get a closeup of the entire rigging later today, but it's a clamp to the truss, the drop down, a clamp at the bottom, then an 18" horizontal pipe.  The light clamps to the pipe.  It makes an upside down T.  Originally I had considered using a pair of these with custom length pipe.  I would say that if going more than a couple of feet this will be much more stable.

Chris Hunt

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2011, 12:26:35 PM »

Perfect, thanks guys!  Exactly what I needed to see.
Chris Hunt
Limelight - FOH
-----------------------------

Royce Covington

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2011, 04:15:31 PM »

No, I'm not missing anything.  I hung MAC250's off the Light Source drop downs using the method I described.  I also posted a picture of the rig.  I'll try to get a closeup of the entire rigging later today, but it's a clamp to the truss, the drop down, a clamp at the bottom, then an 18" horizontal pipe.  The light clamps to the pipe.  It makes an upside down T.  Originally I had considered using a pair of these with custom length pipe.  I would say that if going more than a couple of feet this will be much more stable.

at closer look of the 'drop-down' it appears as though they rate it at 600#, so, i suppose if/when used as you describe, it would be sufficient.

initially, that device reminded me of having seen someone use 1/2" threaded-rod in a similar clamp to clamp arrangement...

R~
"If you love what you do, you'll never work another day in your life..."

- Confucius

Thomas Bishop

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2011, 06:19:33 PM »

Yes, threaded rod would be scary.  600 lbs should be fine for small movers, even at a dynamic load.  I wouldn't hang VL2500's from them, but MAC250's are no problem.  Speaking of threaded rod, though, I did have to use 1/2"-13 rod to attach the bottom clamp to the drop down.  Just an FYI for those looking at doing this same setup.

James Feenstra

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2011, 12:33:23 AM »

1.5" pipe t bar + 2 fixed 90 degree cheesboroughs + aircraft safety through a drilled hole in the pipe will be fine for any small to mid sized movers

Wouldn't hang anything more than say, 80lbs off it though...for a big mover (ie. Showgun, syncrolite, etc) you'll need something a little more complicated.
Elevation Audiovisual
www.elevationav.com
Taking your events to the next level

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2011, 12:33:23 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 24 queries.