ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Linking an input to an output on a BSS Soundweb problem  (Read 2087 times)

Ted Beets

Linking an input to an output on a BSS Soundweb problem
« on: February 20, 2006, 10:11:07 am »

Hi,

I'm new to posting here, have been lurking around for quite some time and the time has come for me to ask for your expertise.

We just did an install in a club/restaurant. The place has changing DJ setups, video art things and some live sound gigs. To prevent endless manual patching of signal cables from source to the sound in the club and/or restaurant, we figured a soundweb with jellyfish remote control would be the ideal solution for this place.

The sound in the club is processed by xta's, the delays in the restaurant r processed by the soundweb. Between the SW and the xta's are two long signal cables which span the length of the building. Sometimes the signal going thru these cables goes from the soundweb to the xta's, and sometimes from the xta's to the soundweb.

Now adding another 2 cables that span the length of the building is due to the fact that the place is open everyday quite difficult. So we figured that if we connect the long cables to and input AND an output of the soundweb, we could make them bidirectional. This however, does not work. If both input and output of the SW are connected, I lose about 6db of signal and its sounds bad. When i unplug the output, leaving the input in place, the sound is good.

Can someone explain why this is and how i can solve this problem?
Someone suggested a sort of diode circuit between the in and output of the SW to prevent them 'seeing' each other.
This is higher electronics and above my scope of understanding I'm afraid.

Any idea's? Thanks.

Ted

Duane Massey

• http://www.ozknozz.com
Re: Linking an input to an output on a BSS Soundweb problem
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2006, 11:03:58 pm »

If I understand what you are doing, you are trying to run an input and an output thru the same shielded pair? I don't think it will work, period. No diode, no resistor, nothing else will help.
Are you running a stereo i/o? Do you really need stereo?
Duane Massey
Houston, Texas, USA

Ted Beets

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2006, 07:58:49 am »

Yes i need to run an in and an out thru the shielded pair, in the soundweb i can enable/disable the in- and outputs in the presets. So when i need it to be an output, i just deselect the input in the soundweb software, thats why i was hoping it would work, but apparently deselecting the in- or output in the software does not completely shut it down.

Im afraid i really need stereo.

I was thinking it could be a ground problem, because when both are connected, the drop in db's is as if the ground wire in the signal cable is loose.

Ted

Rick Johnston

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2006, 06:44:23 pm »

Why not use the opto output to drive a relay? Use the relay to swap the cable between I/O.

Duane Massey

• http://www.ozknozz.com
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2006, 06:59:40 pm »

Yeah, a relay is the only solution. The BSS doesn't disconnect the input or output physically, it just turns it off in the software. The physical connections are still there, so the input and the output analog electronics are still tied together, which is a very bad thing.
Rick's idea is a good one, just have to figure out the mechanics.
Duane Massey
Houston, Texas, USA

Ted Beets

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2006, 02:56:26 pm »

Yeah I think thats the only way to go too,
I found this 1, ordered 2 of them, and I'll use the control ports on the soundweb to switch them.

http://www.rdlnet.com/product.php?page=153&language=1

That should sort it.
I hope they wont influence the sound too much tho.

Cheers,
Ted
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 21 queries.