Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > LAB Lounge

Rack DSP or Crown amp DSP?

<< < (2/2)

Mario Roman:
Thanks for the reply Tim. Actually what I had in mind was to use the DSI4000 processing for the SM96's. 1 per side 1200w rms ea. and use the ITech processing for the aux fed subs. 1 per side 4000w rms ea. My set up is this way currently except all the processing is being done in the DCX before it goes to the amps. I'm just curious if there is any noticible sonic quality benefit to repatching everything around the DCX and doing everything in the amps. Logic would suggest that the expensive Crown amps processing "must" be better than the Behringer, but we all know that sometimes that's not always the case. :o

After reading a lot of Bennett's articles as well as others on this forum, I've learned a great deal about what destroys drivers. Thus I'm very glad the ITech has average power limiting. I which all amps did instead of just clip limiters. Currently I have the APL in the ITech set to -3db of the rms power of the TH118's driver. If I calculated correctly this should be 900w. I set the attack and release time to 10 seconds. What do you think? I'm not sure about the clip limiter. How do I determine at what level I will start clipping the input of the amp? This the area that I'm not exactly sure about. Will changing the input sensativity make a difference in when the amp input will clip? Any enlightenment is always appreciated. Thanks.

Mario

Tim McCulloch:

--- Quote from: Mario Roman on February 18, 2011, 03:48:20 pm ---Thanks for the reply Tim. Actually what I had in mind was to use the DSI4000 processing for the SM96's. 1 per side 1200w rms ea. and use the ITech processing for the aux fed subs. 1 per side 4000w rms ea. My set up is this way currently except all the processing is being done in the DCX before it goes to the amps. I'm just curious if there is any noticible sonic quality benefit to repatching everything around the DCX and doing everything in the amps. Logic would suggest that the expensive Crown amps processing "must" be better than the Behringer, but we all know that sometimes that's not always the case. :o
--- End quote ---

My reasoning for using the DCX as the crossover between subs/tops is that you can be certain the filters are computed the same way.  You have no certainty between manufacturers.  There's a good post about system DSP filters (with pictures!) in the FUDforums Classic LAB.

--- Quote ---After reading a lot of Bennett's articles as well as others on this forum, I've learned a great deal about what destroys drivers. Thus I'm very glad the ITech has average power limiting. I which all amps did instead of just clip limiters. Currently I have the APL in the ITech set to -3db of the rms power of the TH118's driver. If I calculated correctly this should be 900w. I set the attack and release time to 10 seconds. What do you think? I'm not sure about the clip limiter. How do I determine at what level I will start clipping the input of the amp? This the area that I'm not exactly sure about. Will changing the input sensativity make a difference in when the amp input will clip? Any enlightenment is always appreciated. Thanks.

Mario
--- End quote ---

The 'clip eliminator' only affects OUTPUT clipping.  It is still possible to clip the inputs.  The "Maximum Analog Input Level" adjustment on the I-Tech determines the clip point, either analog or digital (at the A/D converter).  You can also adjust the input sensitivity of the amp, the range of which is governed by the max analog input setting.

If you're doing live rock, contemporary country, praise & worship - music with dynamics - you'll never see the RMS limiter come on at 900w.  Contact Ivan for suggestions about peak voltage limiting and possible RMS limiter settings.

Have fun, good luck.

Tim Mc

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version