Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > LAB Lounge

Rack DSP or Crown amp DSP?

(1/2) > >>

Mario Roman:
Good day All,

For those who haven't been following my recent posts. I've finally received and put together my new system consisting of 2 Danley SM96 tops & 2 TH118 subs, 1 ITech8000 for subs, and 1 DSI4000 for mains for my "weekend warrior" classic rock gig. Based on the reviews from many on this forum I purchased a DCX2496 processor (over the driverack) a couple years ago. It's performed flawlessly and sounded good with my previous rig. (U15PB's over LS800PB's).

Currenty I've setup the new rig using the DCX unit but I'm wondering if I would notice a sound quality difference using the DSP in the Crown amps instead.   Will it be a "six of one, half dozen the other" kind of thing or "definately use the Crown DSP, it blows the DCX processing away".    Opinions please???    I'm new to using a passive system and while setting up crossovers etc is easy enough, I'm not quite sure where I sould be setting the protection and gain structure in the Crown units. In particular the ITech running the subs. When A/B ing the new subs to the old LS800p's, they blew away the Danley in level until I turned up the "band pass gain" setting in the Crown to+15db. Then the output on the db meter (and my ears) was equal. I went through the sensativity settings a little but that didn't seem to have much effect. Since I work for an A/V integrator I've dabbled with System Architect before but have never used it to actually set up a customer system. If anyone has used these amps and can shed a little light on what I should be using for limiter/gain/sensativity settings it would be greatly appreciated. I've done a lot of web research and have some good ideas but knowing what people are using "real world" is always helpful. Thanks again.

Mario

alfredo cannon:
I have a similar rig to yours. A pair of TH-115 (4 ohm boxes) and a pair of EV Qrx 212/75 (bi-amped). I run my subs aux fed. You should run aux fed subs. It's so much better that way. I have a driverack PA for back up but my main dsp is a Ashly Protea 3.6
  Aux fed, dude. you're missin out!

Mario Roman:
I've always run my rig with subs on aux. One of the reasons I chose the DCX2496 over the Driverack was that it had 3 inputs and 6 out. Thus my input 1 & 2 are left and right out of my 01v96 and input 3 is the aux out for my subs.

Mario

George Dougherty:
Used to use a DCX2496.  DSP was okay, outputs seemed noisy.  If you've got the amp DSP to use at the very least it lightens up the rack a little.  I'd expect the built-in DSP is also quieter.

Tim McCulloch:

--- Quote from: Mario Roman on February 17, 2011, 01:29:06 pm ---Good day All,

For those who haven't been following my recent posts. I've finally received and put together my new system consisting of 2 Danley SM96 tops & 2 TH118 subs, 1 ITech8000 for subs, and 1 DSI4000 for mains for my "weekend warrior" classic rock gig. Based on the reviews from many on this forum I purchased a DCX2496 processor (over the driverack) a couple years ago. It's performed flawlessly and sounded good with my previous rig. (U15PB's over LS800PB's).

Currenty I've setup the new rig using the DCX unit but I'm wondering if I would notice a sound quality difference using the DSP in the Crown amps instead.   Will it be a "six of one, half dozen the other" kind of thing or "definately use the Crown DSP, it blows the DCX processing away".    Opinions please???    I'm new to using a passive system and while setting up crossovers etc is easy enough, I'm not quite sure where I sould be setting the protection and gain structure in the Crown units. In particular the ITech running the subs. When A/B ing the new subs to the old LS800p's, they blew away the Danley in level until I turned up the "band pass gain" setting in the Crown to+15db. Then the output on the db meter (and my ears) was equal. I went through the sensativity settings a little but that didn't seem to have much effect. Since I work for an A/V integrator I've dabbled with System Architect before but have never used it to actually set up a customer system. If anyone has used these amps and can shed a little light on what I should be using for limiter/gain/sensativity settings it would be greatly appreciated. I've done a lot of web research and have some good ideas but knowing what people are using "real world" is always helpful. Thanks again.

Mario

--- End quote ---
Hi Mario-

Actually, your issue is that you need three filters across 2 amps.  You can't do that with the I-Tech.  The loop through signal output is unprocessed.  You need a high pass filter on the subs, a low pass filter on the subs, and a high pass filter for your SM96s.  Of those, I'd do the sub woofer HPF in the I-Tech, along with whatever input or output EQ you decide it needs.  For the sub LPF and top box HPF, I'd use the DCX... IOW, use the DCX to cross over between subs and tops, and use the in-amp processing to HPF and limit the sub woofers.

Haystacking the sub output is not unheard of.  In the VerTec 4889/4880 crossover, the sub woofer pass band output is set for +10dB.

Have fun, good luck.

Tim Mc

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version