ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Which amp for a TH-118?  (Read 4355 times)

Mario Roman

Which amp for a TH-118?
« on: January 30, 2011, 11:40:53 PM »

Hi All

In a recent topic I ask for help deciding between the Danley TH212 and TH118. With everyones help, I've decided to go with a pair of the TH-118's. Since I'm coming from a powered speaker background, I'd like to get some ideas on what amp I should use to drive them. I've done some extensive research on PSW and the web in general and have learned alot. I was originally looking at using a PLX3602 in bridged mode per cab but some have said that the PL series is much better for sub use. Unfortunately they didn't elaborate as to why. So if anyone can enlighten me as to why the PL series is better that the PLX series I'd love to know. I've also learned that many suggest using amps in a per channel configuration instead of bridging due to better noise and damping. Any opinions on this? I'm trying to keep the brands to something I know I can get good pricing on. These would be Crown, QSC, Yamaha, EV, and Crest/Peavey. As for the top boxes, I'm going with Danley's new SM69F. It has the same 1600w program power spec as the SM60F with a 90x60 pattern. For these I was planning on trying Peaveys new IPR6000. It's affordable and will put out 2000w per channel @4ohms. I've seen some good reviews on these amps here on PSW but does anyone have any "cons" about them? If so, what amp would you suggest. Thanks again to everyone for their help. Much appreciated.

Mario
« Last Edit: January 31, 2011, 07:19:17 AM by Mario Roman »

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
Re: Which amp for a TH-118?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2011, 07:43:56 AM »

I generally like to NOT bridge an amp for sub use-if possible.  It keeps the damping of the system higher.

I would look at a single amp (PL380) and run 1 sub per side.  Later if you want to get more output you could add another pair of subs and not have to buy another amp.  You can't do that if you bridge the amps as the loudspeakers are 4 ohms each.

There is no model SM69F.  The product was going to be called that, but it was determined that most people would use it in the horizontal position, and the main coverage would be 90x60, so the name was changed to the SM96.  No change in product-only name.

I have no opinion on the IPR6000 Peavey amp.  I have played around with the IPR1600 and it seemed to work well.

The only possible downside to using an amp that large is being careful not to drive it into clipping.  But I would rather have an amp that is to large than to small.

A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Fernando Lopez

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2011, 03:56:02 PM »

I recently purchased a Crown Macro-tech 9000i for my TH-118s.

http://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/topic,408.0.html

but I am thinking of selling it and going with the Danley internal amps, I hope someone does a review of them and Danley puts up the specs of the amp on their webpage

BTW I have not used my new amp yet

Reggie Kendrick

• Channel Live Productions - raising the bar...
    • Channel Live Productions
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2011, 05:47:40 PM »

I'd choose a Crown MA9000i or MA12000i.  The advantage with them would be you are able to do PEAK and RMS limiting + they're stable down to a 2ohm load per side if you choose to add additional subs later.
Raising the bar...

Atlanta Wedding DJs
Atlanta DJs / Wedding DJs / Prom DJs ...and more

Reggie Kendrick

• Channel Live Productions - raising the bar...
    • Channel Live Productions
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2011, 06:03:15 PM »

...For these I was planning on trying Peaveys new IPR6000. It's affordable and will put out 2000w per channel @4ohms. I've seen some good reviews on these amps here on PSW but does anyone have any "cons" about them? If so, what amp would you suggest. Thanks again to everyone for their help. Much appreciated.

Mario

Here's another high-wattage lightweight amp:  http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/NU6000.aspx  I have a hard time believing you're getting quality power from such inexpensive and light weight amplifiers.

Raising the bar...

Atlanta Wedding DJs
Atlanta DJs / Wedding DJs / Prom DJs ...and more

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2011, 06:03:15 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 26 queries.