ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Who runs LAB subs on their side?  (Read 4724 times)

tristan ferguson

Who runs LAB subs on their side?
« on: February 13, 2006, 09:39:57 AM »

Who here runs their lab subs on their side? I want to know because I'm building a ported box for a LAB12 and I want to know if it is suitable for down-fireing without any sagging issues.

Thanks!

Gary Perrett

Re: Who runs LAB subs on their side?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2006, 12:45:20 PM »

Hi
I have a pair on stage right, I have had on their side for a few years. They are supporting a Yorkville Elite 2204. I kick the livin hell out of them 5 nites a week... I would have included a pic but its 212kb and I don't know how to shrink it...I had failures of the first drivers I used but it was a warranty issue with some glue problems they had earlier on.

I built a couple of the table tubas also, using the HL10A they spec it on its side though.

Be well,
Gary
let us know how the boxes turn out.
We the few who have done so much, for so long, with so little, now feel we can do everything with nothing...

Antone Atmarama Bajor

• http://www.geocities.com/somesoundgreat
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2006, 02:25:44 PM »

What are you tuning your lab 12 reflex cabs to?  And how many drivers are you using???

I built a pair of dual lab 12 Reflex Cabs they are fun.  Not too loud but fun.

I think there is some formula for figuring if a driver is acceptable for down firing.  Its has something to do with its mechanical compliance.  I think the lab should be Ok.  I'm going to build a sealed box with 2 lab 12's one firing forward and one firing down.

Antone-

Phil Pope

• http://www.apacheacoustics.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2006, 04:07:23 PM »

with a high compliance driver gravity on the moving mass could cuase displacement of the order of 0.5mm. Seems like this could cause significant distortion. Might be an idea to mount two drivers push pull if they are going to be firing up/down.

Phil

tristan ferguson

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2006, 07:11:24 PM »

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid= 373696&stamp=1082215537

The 115l tuned to 20hz is what was reccomended to me (that pic is somebody elses simulation), single driver. The sub will be for a small production center in a small room.

Antone Atmarama Bajor

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2006, 09:02:25 PM »

They Will be push pull so hopefully any sag irregularitys will be a non issue.

Antone-

Dave Rickard

Dave
Yorkville dealer

"The wrong piece of gear, at the right price, is still the wrong piece of gear."

"If you don't have good stuff at each end of the signal chain, (mics and speakers) what you use in between is just turd polish."--Dave Dermont

Antone Atmarama Bajor

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2006, 11:26:01 PM »

I've done modeling of the Lab 12 in ~the same volume enclosure.  Going too much above 3.5 cu' will do you no favors when it comes to XMAX.  With 1 Lab sub in a vented box about what you are proposing you should be able to get 107dB @ 20Hz Max.  When tuning to the low 20's It is very easy to overexcurd the driver in the Low 30's if overpowered.

Why not just make the thing forward firing.  I don't think down firing will give you too much advantage as far as gain.  It should do about the same 1/4 or 1/8th space loaded.

I haven't experimented with any down firing designs yet.  Maybe someone here knows if there is a specific benefit to doing so (Maybe less apparent Harmonic Distortion since its not being directed towards the listener).

Again I am doing a push pull sealed lab 12 sub with the opposing driver aiming at the floor or up into the cab.  I get the drivers on Wednesday so until then.

Antone-

tristan ferguson

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2006, 11:48:59 AM »

I didn't think there would be any difference in having it fire towards the floor, so I played with the idea mostly just to protect the driver. I'll avoid any possible complications and have it forward fireing.

The 115l internal volume is ~4 cubic feet, but you seem to think I should go with 3.5. What tuning frequency?

Antone Atmarama Bajor

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2006, 02:36:58 PM »

I did my box design with Harris Tech Bass Box Pro.

The Specific number I don't have in front of me but I can get it for you easy enough.

I tuned to around 21.5Hz or so with no damping material.  (This was the software suggested "High Fidelity" Tuning).  The software trys to optimize for Drivers usable range and Xmax.

It ended up being ~3.5cu' internal volume with driver displacement accounted for I think the port adds almost another cu' of volume it has to be rather long to minimize turbulence.

I can get the info in a couple of hours.

I can show you the Xmax and response Charts for the Box you have proposed.

Antone
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 20 queries.