ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Envoice II for live mic pre.  (Read 893 times)

Pat Trofin

Envoice II for live mic pre.
« on: January 29, 2006, 03:20:08 PM »

Hey All,

I recently purchased an Envoice II Mic pre. My question is, where do you feel it would be best suited in the signal path for a singer. would it be best to use it in line before the line in on a console channel, or used as an insert? I will be using it for the first time this weekend, but would like a head start.

Cheers,
Pat Trofin
Live Audio Mixer

Charles Johnson

Re: Envoice II for live mic pre.
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2006, 04:20:04 PM »

Pat Trofin wrote on Sun, 29 January 2006 15:20

I recently purchased an Envoice II Mic pre. My question is, where do you feel it would be best suited in the signal path for a singer. would it be best to use it in line before the line in on a console channel, or used as an insert? I will be using it for the first time this weekend, but would like a head start.

Pat,

If the goal is a more consistent sound, from night to night - particularly if you're already carrying your lead vocal mic with you - then, by all means, skip the console mic pre altogether and come in through the insert return (the line input often is just padded down - though not always - and then run through the mic pre stage, so you'd still be going through the console's mic pre...)

As for coming back into the desk, for the dual-send/return desk, then a regular XLR-to-TRS adapter is all you need. For single-point insert desks, you'll need to make up some special adapters - one for Ring-Return inserts, another for Tip-Return inserts. Be sure to mark accordingly Wink

Regarding tying Pin 3 and Ground together, there's a post somewhere on the board where this is discussed and while I've yet to blow up my Midas XL42 / dbx 1046 signal path, one poster said that he liked to put an isolation transformer inline, just to be on the safe side. Personally, I'm using Rapco IsoBlox (mainly because they're what I already had in my "gig tool kit"). Should I be using one of the $80 (US) Jensen transformers? Answer: Almost certainly. Have I gotten off my lazy hind quarters and ordered a pair of them? Answer: ... Rolling Eyes

The main downside to coming back into the insert return is that the channel's gain knob is now useless - if you need to adjust the gain, then you're going to have to reach for your rack, which means that doing the "turn down the gain while turning up the monitor mix send" trick isn't an option unless the rack is really close and you can easily reach both knobs at once Confused Other than that though... Smile

Hope this helps! Cheers!

Charles Johnson

ProSoundWeb Community

Re: Envoice II for live mic pre.
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2006, 04:20:04 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 18 queries.