ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: There is hope!! Good systems do exist.  (Read 2401 times)

George Blun

There is hope!! Good systems do exist.
« on: September 21, 2004, 11:48:34 AM »

I have been reading the posts here and find that many people are discouraged about bad systems, botched installs, and pastors who just don’t get it. Our church didn’t get it until we hired a company that specializes in churches. I wrote the following as a reply to another post, but it seems to me that it needed to be boldly stated. Too many of you are discouraged and need to know that there is hope.

We recently hired a company who specializes in church technology (ie. sound, lighting, video, multimedia, etc.). They installed the system and trained our volunteers on how to use it and make it sound good. The results were incredible.

People are now volunteering to be a part of our team because they are thrilled with how great everything is going. I would suggest to everyone to check out Sound Idea. (www.soundideaservices.com)

Travel is no problem for these guys. So don’t worry about your location, because they travel. These people have totally transformed our church, I know they can do the same for you.

Karl P(eterson)

Re: There is hope!! Good systems do exist.
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2004, 12:08:45 PM »

While this is kind, and I am sure is from the bottom of your heart, you have to be careful about such blatant advertising. I am not quite sure what will be thought of it. If they start allowing advertising for one company or firm in the forums, they will be pressed to allow it for others. I am on the other hand fairly certain the company in question is free to buy some ad space here if they wish.

Respectfully,

Karl P
Audio Team Leader - CCH

George Blun

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2004, 01:06:35 PM »

Karl,

I apologize. I did not mean to cross any boundaries or step on anyone.

It just seemed that so many people here are experiencing such problems and might appreciate knowing that it’s not always bad.

Tom Young

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2004, 07:56:56 PM »

I'm very glad that you had such a positive experience in what is often a miserable one.  I would agree with your implication that good professional guidance is few and far between.

For the record: there are other conscientious, knowledgeable and honorable professionals who provide consulting, contracting  and/or sales to the church community.  Most of **US** travel, as well.  Most of us also provide additional services including training.

I really am happy for you and glad you posted.
Tom Young, Church Sound section moderator
Electroacoustic Design Services
Oxford CT
Tel: 203.888.6217
Email: dbspl@earthlink.net
www.dbspl.com

Phil Ouellette

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2004, 08:25:39 AM »

One really important way a company can maintain high standards is by simply by not bidding on jobs that are above their capabilities.  I think a lot of the horror stories we hear about are due to people not knowing their own limitations and forging ahead anyways (some line about fools rushing in where angels fear to tread comes to mind).

It isn't that hard to make an uncomplicated system sound good in a decent acoustical space.  It can become much harder when the architecture gets in the way or the system becomes more complicated.  Plus even the best designed systems can end up underperforming when the contractor or customer doesn't implement it as designed.

This is the reason why it really is important to judge if someone is able to handle a job based on their previous work in similar spaces.  If you have a challenging space (low ceiling, wide fan shaped room, etc) then don't use somebody who's prior jobs have all been in traditional shoe-box shaped rooms with adequate ceiling height.

And take the time to really check out the references. Visit the sites on a Sunday morning and hear for yourself how well the systems are working.  Talk to the volunteers after the service to find out how smoothly the install went and to find out what problems they have had.  The biggest thing is how the company handled the inevitable problems that occur on any job.  Is the vendor responsive to service problems?

This reminds me of picking speakers.  A particular speaker may be a very good choice for one room, while still being a terrible choice for a different room.  The same can be true for companies.

Phil

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2004, 08:25:39 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 24 queries.