ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: The O so impossible 20hz!  (Read 16939 times)

Michael Fraioli

• http://www.geocities.com/projectst34lth
Re: The O so impossible 20hz!
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2006, 10:14:49 AM »

haha yes i realize you can lay it on its side who wants something 7 ft long laying across there room Laughing

Michael Fraioli

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2006, 10:34:33 AM »

well thanyou for everyones help im getting alot of different suggestions and i am liking antone's. but yes i will be using this for soley music but the type of music i listen does reach the 20hz level and thats what is getting me into this whole mess. The danley sub sounds great and i would purchase it if it wasnt so tall is there anythign else maybe around 5'-6'that would accomplish at least close to the same stats? and yes the listening position will be 1 meter but id like be options to be able to have it in a bigger area maybe 4 meters at one point in time so just somethign to keep in mind. Did anyone look at that website i gave adireaudio.com and look at there home audio subs and amps....the stats seem impressive in the low end but i dono if these stats are realistic any input? again cost if i build the enclosure im looking to spend around $1,200 with the amp to power it and maybe $1,400 if i buy it pre-assembled with the amp again. thanks again for everyones help.

Michael Fraioli

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2006, 01:23:35 PM »

Yes well you must have missed one of the replies where i said the bedroom its going in is about 14'x 16' haha yes i knwo its over kill but i wanna be able to use in different applications so i think the danley would be great but not in my 8' high celings and i cant lay it down cause of furniture and such. my object witht his whole thing once again is to get a sub down to 20 hz hopefully around 115db give or take budget wise and space required so im tryin to get ideas but thanks for the comment

Antone Atmarama Bajor

• http://www.geocities.com/somesoundgreat
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2006, 03:07:11 PM »

I wouldn't bother with the ADIRE 12" its extra power handling and XMAX doesn't make up for how much less sensitivity it has than the LAB 12  And its more than 2X the price.

1 Adire 18" on the other hand should be able to produce 20Hz at 110 dB in a 5cu' sealed Sub.  Again you would need a linkwitz transform or some type of specialized EQ to flatten the response.  Of course room gain and boundary loading can change things to an extent.

The output would be about the same as making two of dual 12" Lab subs in a sealed cab.  1 Adire 18" costs about the Same as 4 Labs.

You would want the labs clustered together not separated by any distance greater than 1/3 a wavelength of its operating bandwidth.

The Adires are nice subs though.  Just pricey.

Antone-

peter.golde

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2006, 03:07:30 PM »

"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer" - Frank Zappa

Antone Atmarama Bajor

• http://www.geocities.com/somesoundgreat
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2006, 03:18:33 PM »

I wish someone would take some measures of those systems at listening position.

Dont forget to Dampen your Rafters. Razz

Antone-

Dave Rickard

« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2006, 02:13:33 PM »

Michael Fraioli wrote on Tue, 31 January 2006 08:14

haha yes i realize you can lay it on its side who wants something 7 ft long laying across there room Laughing

Buy a pair and use them for your bedframe!  Or a single and adapt your current frame.  

A massaging bed!!!
Dave
Yorkville dealer

"The wrong piece of gear, at the right price, is still the wrong piece of gear."

"If you don't have good stuff at each end of the signal chain, (mics and speakers) what you use in between is just turd polish."--Dave Dermont

Michael Fraioli

« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2006, 02:50:07 PM »

well that dont sound half bad these lab subs are sounding better and better so 20 hz at a 2 meter listening position at around 115db round about with an enclosure no bigger then 36" wide 60" tall and 36" deep how many subs what size and what series would i need? and what kind of amp and eq do you recommend with it? do u have specs or links to any of this? and any idea how to build the box maybe a cad drawing or some thing hand drawn and scanned in so i know how to build this beast? thanks antone big help!

Michael Fraioli

« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2006, 02:55:02 PM »

o and by the way i have access to smartlive and a microphone for it im pretty sure i can get a db meter and i have an oscope so i can tune it if i knew how lol.....i know how to use smart live and the db meter but i dono if would help u in coming up with a design for me if ud be so kind...or maybe there is a design already out there?

Mark Seaton

« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2006, 05:58:14 PM »

Antone Atmarama Bajor wrote on Tue, 31 January 2006 14:07

I wouldn't bother with the ADIRE 12" its extra power handling and XMAX doesn't make up for how much less sensitivity it has than the LAB 12  And its more than 2X the price.

1 Adire 18" on the other hand should be able to produce 20Hz at 110 dB in a 5cu' sealed Sub.  Again you would need a linkwitz transform or some type of specialized EQ to flatten the response.  Of course room gain and boundary loading can change things to an extent.

The output would be about the same as making two of dual 12" Lab subs in a sealed cab.  1 Adire 18" costs about the Same as 4 Labs.

This isn't quite right.  The Tumult 18" will have more than 2x the volume displacement of a pair of LAB12s.  In other words, for displacement you're looking at 1 Tumult = 4 LAB12s.

The high power density and relative cost of the LAB12 make it a very potent performer in most any "loaded" design like a reflex, including passive radiator, and of course a proper horn.  For a sealed design, there are many other options out there. Parts Express seems to have some of the best deals right now, with a few others offering some good value at higher performance levels.

If really interested in playing around in the 20Hz range, check out some of the home theater related sites and forums.  20Hz in the home is more of an expectation than a novelty of high performance systems.  Other than a few of Danley's offerings or a truckload of Bag End subs, the pro market is pretty weak below 35Hz, let alone 25Hz.

I'll post a separate reply to Michael directly.
Mark Seaton
Seaton Sound, Inc.
"Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood..." - Daniel H. Burnham
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 19 queries.