ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Church Sound in Movie Theater  (Read 2250 times)

stevenvparisi

Church Sound in Movie Theater
« on: September 21, 2004, 07:16:19 pm »

Soundman here that needs some help!

The church i'm running sound for is opening a new location in an United Artist Theater.  Been informed by the theater that when they have other shows there that the soundmen for those particular venues use 4 FOH speakers.  2 Spkrs at about head level and another set of spkrs bout 10' above that to reach the back of the theater.  They said to increase the raised spkrs volume at the amp to balance the sound due to the seatings are on an angle.  The church is tight on budget and we are going to be using 4 JBL Eons.  Does this kind of setup seem deemable for a House of worship that will probably be there for a good amount of time.  All equipment will be rolled in.  No fixed installs, all portable.  Any ideas???  let me know if i left any info out that anyone may need.

Dan Costello

Re: Church Sound in Movie Theater
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2004, 07:22:29 pm »

Ok, maybe I'm too much of a noob, but w/o some sort of rigging on the ceiling, what do you use to get a speaker 16' in the air?

-Dan.
Dan Costello

"Well, I've been to one world fair, a picnic, and a rodeo, and that's the stupidest thing I ever heard come over a set of earphones.."

Tom Young

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2004, 07:39:10 pm »

"let me know if i left any info out that anyone may need."

Yeah.

How about seat count ?

How is the stage shaped and what is its physical proximity to the ldspkr hang points ?

May we assume you do contemporary or blended worship ?

What are your normal SPL's, during worship and also the word ?

How well behaved is the band/worship team ?

That's a start.
Tom Young, Church Sound section moderator
Electroacoustic Design Services
Oxford CT
Tel: 203.888.6217
Email: dbspl@earthlink.net
www.dbspl.com

stevenvparisi

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2004, 09:18:08 pm »

1.)  Ok, maybe I'm too much of a noob, but w/o some sort of rigging on the ceiling, what do you use to get a speaker 16' in the air?  Well, word has it that they will be purchasing 4 spkr stands, 2 at a 6' level and the other 2 stands will be raised to about 10'.

2.) How about seat count? I'm estimating about 400 divided into 3 sections.

3.) How is the stage shaped and what is its physical proximity to the ldspkr hang points?  The staging is still being built, but from speaking with the pastor the layout has it being built for a 10' x 20' platform

4.) May we assume you do contemporary or blended worship?  Well some Sundays we'll have a full band and other services is 4 singers and CD Trk.  The church is modeling themselves similar to the worship at Willow Creek in ILL.

5.) What are your normal SPL's, during worship and also the word?  SPL level at our current location have not been obtained yet, being just started on and i still haven't EQ'd the room yet do to lack of funding to purchase/rent equipment to do so.  SPL levels i'd say are at nominal levels or less.

6.) How well behaved is the band/worship team? Band is very well behaved.  Singers on the worship team need to learn not to be timid and sing more strongly into the mics.

rccsoundtech

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2004, 05:26:27 pm »

My church met for two years in a "Stadium Seating" movie theater.
You will notice that a movie theater is a very acoustically "dead" environment....Minimal reflections, and high sound absorption.

If you are like most new churches, the budget is tight, and new equipment purchases may not be an option.  That being said, I don't think you will have coverage problems with 4 Eons throughout the mid/high frequency range.  Those eon drivers should do OK as long as your not asking them to part your hair at 100ft away.  You will just have to try different placement heights, angles, etc... to see what works best. But you will be lacking in the bass range (<120hz).  You will probably have to invest in a sub or two (along with a strong amp) if you want to have bottom end to match your tops.

Bryan Roberts

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2004, 02:49:38 am »

I recently did a show at a stadium style movie theater. They solved the raked seating problem with Genie stands at 20 feet trim height. It worked well but I don't think your budget includes a weekly rental of these units  Very Happy. Just give it a shot experimenting with your Eons and see what works.

Get in there way early on the first day. Try a configuration. Listen to a CD. Walk the room. Make adjustments. Rinse and repeat  Very Happy .  If you can't get happy, come back and report. Let us know how it goes.

Happy mixing (do they serve popcorn during the service ??!! Shocked )
if so, i am in.

bryan
Bryan Roberts
Nashville, TN
tallboyproductions
Audio Engineer, Prod Manager

Bob Currier

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2004, 05:41:14 pm »

I echo the comment that the 4 Eons should be okay unless you're handing out ear plugs.  They could easily drive the spl into the low 100's if you chose to do so.

Good comment about the lows, as well.  We have one setup where we use 4 Eons and a large Mackie active (self-powered) sub.  Off the top of my head I believe it is the SW1801, but I may be off on the model number.  At any rate, it's already on wheels so transporting is a snap.  We stack gear on it during the load in and out.  It shakes the concrete walls in a room holding about 150 people.

By the way, our church started in a roller rink, so a movie theater really isn't too bad!

--bc
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 20 queries.