ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What mains with Tuba 24's?  (Read 4418 times)

kevinjames

What mains with Tuba 24's?
« on: February 12, 2006, 01:03:47 PM »

Hi newbie here with a few questions about matching mains to my new subs. This will probably be a long one so sorry for that in advance, but any help / oppinions would be appreciated.

I'm the very very happy new owner of 4 HL10a loaded Tuba 24 subs. I had them built for me, I did not build them myself because I have no skill at that type of thing and I'm NOT a diy'er at all. I'm so happy with the Tuba 24's that I am thinking of having 4 more built for a total of 8. I have 2 mains now (a pair of old JBL SR4735a's) but I need to buy 2 more mains if I add 4 more Tuba 24's. I am thinking of selling off my 2 SR4735a's in favor of 4 new dual 15 style tops.

My questions are:

1. What mains would you guys recomend as the best match for the Tuba 24's?

2. Are dual 15's my best option or is there something better?

I cross my subs over anywhere from 70hz to 100hz (usually right at 80hz probably about 9 out of 10 times depending on the room). I was thinking dual 15's because I want more punch just above the subs between the range of 80hz - 300hz. With only 1 15 each I don't feel like the SR4735a's are delivering enough punch in that frequency range.

This rig is for continouse dj use only in small to medium size rooms (if I add the 4 more subs and use 4 tops I'd say maybee 800 person events at the absolute most but usually about half that), no live musicians ever, and specifically the program content is very bass heavy House Music ( I really don't even venture into other electronic dance music genres very often at all, just House ) so I really want some major punch to the kick.  

I don't want to ask the question at Bill's forum because I allready know the answer they will give is to build some DR series tops like the 250 or 280. This is NOT an option. I can't build them and the person that built the Tubas doesn't want to build them because they are way to complex for them. Also I'm not really interested in any other build it yourself designs. So my only option is commercialy available products.

I am looking for something between $600 on the low side - $1200 on the high side per box.

So, any recomendations?
Download my latest mixes here:
www.musicv2.com/artist/dj_kevin_james
New Mix added 4/12/08

Watch me spin live Saturday's 3-5 PM Pacific here:
[url]http://www.stickam.com/profile/faderwaveradio

Baba Booey!

kevinjames

Re: What mains with Tuba 24's?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2006, 12:58:52 PM »

testing testing .... is this thing on?

Anyone?

Opinions, recomendations,....... anything
New Mix added 4/12/08

Baba Booey!

Gary Perrett

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2006, 01:10:14 PM »

Hi
I have LABsubs,Tuba 18 ,24, and Auto Tuba, as well as Table Tuba, which I really like. I think that would be a good way to go...... I use and love the yorkville elite 2204's which are discontinued, but they have a new model with a 1.4" exit I believe using a B&C driver. 12 lo mids seem to need a cross of about 120 hz as they generally fall off  below that.

I get really solid clean performance from the 15's which are RCF. They don't break up @ high spl levels, and sound clean a detailed, even when kickin ass... Shocked

I have heard the new SRX's and they are nice ..but no real experience with them. I have heard the PEAVEY QW's are pretty nice...but no real experience again.

I have heard lots of things about lots of speakers but again ...no real experience other than with the Yorkies, which are a very good value. I have also heard that the unity series are nice but a bit weak in the lo bass region.

Be well
Gary
We the few who have done so much, for so long, with so little, now feel we can do everything with nothing...

Mark Coward

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2006, 02:58:27 PM »

I just finished my first set of DR250's, which is Bill's full range cab design using a 10" driver and piezo line arrays. They sound fantastic, will play louder and sound better than most 15/1 reflex boxes and use 1/2 the power amp wattage or less. The Tuba subs are very nice, I think that the T24 is the best sub for a small but scalable system, I'm finishing my first 4 now and like you I'm thinking about doing 4 more.

I'd really recommend that you give the DR250 a try, you won't be disappointed. Two per side with four T24's per side would be a great match for a DJ system. These are very difficult cabinets to build though. If your builder isn't up to tackling them, Bill has an Omni10 design that is a more traditional horn loaded box using two 10's and the piezo line arrays. It will get a similar response to the DR250, but requiring two 10's instead of one.

People turn their nose up at piezo tweeters, but if you haven't heard them in a line array you don't know how good they can sound. You can use ribbon or other high-end tweeters, but in these cabs the piezos work just as well and need no crossover network.

One thing you should experiment with, the Tubas have a very smooth response up to 200hz. Try crossing them over at 150hz - 160hz, letting them carry more of the low end punch. Are you using any kind of DSP or RTA? You do need to EQ the subs a bit, 60hz +3db and 100hz -3db will get you in the ballpark.

Antone Atmarama Bajor

• http://www.geocities.com/somesoundgreat
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2006, 03:17:13 PM »

The delicious aroma of burnt out piezo.

Dont forget to make yours a motorola! Rolling Eyes

Antone-

kevinjames

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2006, 03:26:31 PM »

Yes I would have to totally agree with you about the Tuba 24 being the best sub out there for a small scalable system. They blow everything in their size and weight class out of the water.

Yeah 4 DR250's would be ideal. Unfortunatley the whole point of this thread is that the DR's are not a possibility for me, and I'm not sure I'm interested in the Omni's. But either way I can't build anything myself, and as i stated in another thread I'm having great difficulty in finding a local builder at all right now.Thats why I'm looking for suggestions for a good commercially available top to match the Tubas.
New Mix added 4/12/08

Baba Booey!

peter.golde

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2006, 11:14:00 PM »

Actually, Pyle, two for $2.50, and twelve of them in a single box sounds better than a good quality compression driver/horn, and can handle more power.  Very Happy
correctly deployed of course

"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer" - Frank Zappa

David Trotter

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2006, 05:17:10 AM »

Have a look at these cabs, they are called the X12

http://www.speakerplans.com/index.php?id=x12

Very easy to build as they are front loaded. The magic part is the drivers. They are neodymium and VERY efficient and sound amazing. Find out if you can get them over in the us. Other driver will work too.

Will be the perfect height on top of 2 tubas.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 21 queries.