ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Looking for LOUD!!!! subs  (Read 19544 times)

Erik Osland

Re: Looking for LOUD!!!! subs
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2006, 04:06:12 PM »

Hey, by and chance was the company operating the sound at the dance party a DJ company?  If so, did you see any compressors in the rack?  I have worked with DJ's over the years that had such little idea of what was going on, they actually somehow made my KF940's sound tinny!!!  And I know that improper compression settings can make any speaker sound flabby.  How about delay?  Did they have the proper amount of delay to compinsate for the horn loading D-th115's?

Ivan Beaver

« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2006, 04:08:43 PM »

The measurement was doen with jsut a single cabinet-and at a distance of 10M so the effect of the size of the cabinet is greatly reduced.  Yes the "proper" way would be to bury the cabinet int he ground and face it up-but I know of only 1 manufacturer that has done this-and their numbers are so skewed by other means, they are wothless.

Regarding the MTV show, the only comment I heard was that they got all the right complaints from the volume-from stuff rattling off tables and disturbing the VIP booths-but this is 2nd hand responses.  The provider was happy with the results.  I was not there-so have no comment on SPL and do not know what top cabinets were being used or what amplifiers were being used.
For every complicated question-there is a simple- easy to understand WRONG answer.

Can I have some more talent in the monitors--PLEASE?

Ivan Beaver
dB Audio & Video Inc.
Danley Sound Labs

Tamas Tako

« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2006, 07:31:04 PM »

Walt de Jong wrote on Sun, 22 January 2006 21:56

Also Erik, I don't low how low you need to get but in the cabinet volume of 4x TH-115 you can fit 6x Punisher horn which will produce about 148dB at 1 meter with 1000W/cabinet (calculated back from an outdoor measurement at 40 metres)
Walt

Hi Walt,

I am just curious at which frequency 6x Punisher was measured to give 148dB 1m equvivalent SPL for a stack of 6? Was it a sine sweep? Or music and the SPL you mentioned was wideband using Peakhold?

Thanks,

Tamas

Pascal Pincosy

« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2006, 09:58:32 PM »

No compressors. As far as delaying the tops to the subs, I have no idea. And yes, it was a DJ company. Not that that means anything.
Know:Audio
--------------------------------
US Distributor: Trabes/MG Srl
Speaker Lifts-Truss-Roof Systems

Pascal Pincosy

« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2006, 10:09:25 PM »

Like I said it will take me a bit to dig them up. I'll be happy to post them when I can. BTW I didn't take sensitivity measurements as the purpose of doing the testing I did was to fine-tune my sound system, not to sell speakers.

Regarding the Z-5, it is a smaller cabinet than the B-Zero.
Know:Audio
--------------------------------
US Distributor: Trabes/MG Srl
Speaker Lifts-Truss-Roof Systems

Franz Francis

« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2006, 02:46:59 PM »

How would you recomend one to array 12 0r 16 of those TH-115s together to get maximum?

Franz Francis

Wayne Parham

Re: Looking for LOUD!!!! subs-Measurement issues and lies!
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2006, 04:38:52 PM »

Danley Sound Labs was invited to the Prosound Shootout in October, but they declined to participate.  However, Rhino Acoustics was there, and their subwoofer did very well.

I, for one, was surprised that Danley declined to participate.  With their insistence on saying others are guilty of marketing hype, I would have thought Danley would have welcomed actual measurements from a head-to-head showdown.  I expected they would bring their new stuff.  At least maybe bring one of those air horns from the government grant work days.  But instead, they chose not to be involved, and sat this one out.  Nothing from Danley Sound Labs.

Hopefully, Danley will participate in the next shootout.  I'm sure Danley makes every effort to produce good usable data for their products, but it would be nice to have an actual side-by-side with other equipment.  All this talk is nice, informative and interesting, but sometimes its just better to line 'em up at the track, so to speak.

Wayne Parham
π Speakers
PiSpeakers.com

John Roberts {JR}

« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2006, 05:24:42 PM »

Wayne Parham wrote on Mon, 30 January 2006 15:38

Danley Sound Labs was invited to the Prosound Shootout in October, but they declined to participate.  However, Rhino Acoustics was there, and their subwoofer did very well.

I, for one, was surprised that Danley declined to participate.  With their insistence on saying others are guilty of marketing hype, I would have thought Danley would have welcomed actual measurements from a head-to-head showdown.  I expected they would bring their new stuff.  At least maybe bring one of those air horns from the government grant work days.  But instead, they chose not to be involved, and sat this one out.  Nothing from Danley Sound Labs.

Hopefully, Danley will participate in the next shootout.  I'm sure Danley makes every effort to produce good usable data for their products, but it would be nice to have an actual side-by-side with other equipment.  All this talk is nice, informative and interesting, but sometimes its just better to line 'em up at the track, so to speak.

While I don't pretend to speak for anyone other than myself, there could be a long list of good reasons why a small company might not be in a position to participate in a given speaker shootout. I am surprised by the amount of mail I get asking for free drum tuners...  Rolling Eyes

I wouldn't jump to any conclusions about that one event, and I don't see where it's written that small companies have to provide gear and support gratis to someone just because they decide to have a shoot-out.

I for one am supportive of TD and wish him success in his new venture... new businesses don't just happen by themselves they take a lot of work which is what I suspect he was doing...

JR
 https://www.resotune.com/

Tune it, or don't play it...
-----

John Halliburton

« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2006, 06:12:58 PM »

Wayne,

If you're so darned antsy to have a side by side measurementfest, you could send one of yours to Tom, and let him measure both under the same conditions.  I'd trust the results in a microsecond.

John

Ivan Beaver

« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2006, 10:01:07 PM »

I thought that this was dead-but since you insist on bring it back up.  There were many reasons that Danley did not not show up at your event.  The origional intent was to, but given the information provided they did not.  It had nothing to do with "being afraid of being shown up".  And from what I can tell with the data collected, it would have fun to have a smaller-lighter-louder-deeper cabinet outperform the "BIG" boys.  Below are some of the reasons.

Danley Sound Labs is a for profit company-meaning that they want to sell products-not just have a good time-which they do.  There was only 1 commerical manufacturer there.  Had there been others besides "DIY" types, that would have been a better incentive.  Heck you couldn't even get a lab sub to show up! Laughing The current "king" of DIY subs.  And there are plenty of proud owners of those out there.

They wanted to go up against other commerical products.  ie: their competition.

They felt there was not enough time allowed to do the testing and listening you intended-And it turned out you didn't have enough time as it was-much less for more speakers.  Many people told you didn't have enough time-but you wouldn't listen, and STILL you want them to bring in a government project-FOR WHAT? because you are courious?  

The whole shipping and delivering of cabinets did not seem very convienent "there is loading dock a couple of miles away"  Belonging to WHO? and who is going to be responsible for packing up the products afterwards-remember there was a weekend there.  Did you expect them to stay the weekend?  How were the cabinets going to get from the dock to the test site?  That would involve a truck rental.  Apparently you wanted to stay for the races-maybe other people want to get out of there.  Would you allow them to use your truck, and then you come pick it up?

There were just too many unanswered questions.  It did not make business sense-and apparently to other manufacturers as well.

If you want to hear your products side by side, then you are free to come by the Danley shop and bring your cabinet. You can listen to the entire line and in multiples. There is a loading dock that belongs to them-fork lift and all. Twisted Evil -and they have all the stuff to pack it up and ship it back to you-without hassle.

They would love to come to a more organized event.
For every complicated question-there is a simple- easy to understand WRONG answer.

Can I have some more talent in the monitors--PLEASE?

Ivan Beaver
dB Audio & Video Inc.
Danley Sound Labs
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.414 seconds with 19 queries.