ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Different Sub Designs and their applications  (Read 6397 times)

Duane Massey

• http://www.ozknozz.com
Re: Different Sub Designs and their applications-generalizations
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2006, 04:18:09 pm »

The other issue that definitely affects live use would be the pattern control. It is not necessarily true that all subwoofers are omni-directional. A well-designed straight horn is very directional, a folded horn is more directional than a vented box, and a band-pass box sprays everywhere.
If low-freq feedback is a problem, start with the horns.
Duane Massey
Houston, Texas, USA

Mac Kerr

• SR Forums
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2006, 05:37:21 pm »

Duane Massey wrote on Wed, 04 January 2006 16:18

The other issue that definitely affects live use would be the pattern control. It is not necessarily true that all subwoofers are omni-directional. A well-designed straight horn is very directional, a folded horn is more directional than a vented box, and a band-pass box sprays everywhere.
Where do you get this information? Would you care to give an example of one of these well designed very directional sub horns?

Mac

John Chiara

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2006, 08:35:42 pm »

Mac Kerr wrote on Wed, 04 January 2006 17:37

Duane Massey wrote on Wed, 04 January 2006 16:18

Where do you get this information? Would you care to give an example of one of these well designed very directional sub horns?

Mac

The SPL BDeap 32's..in a group..were VERY directional..I witnessed it personally in NYC. I am ordering 4 Danley TH 115's and I am counting on them being more directional than the boxes they will replace.
"mix is a verb, not a noun" Sooo, as Aunt Bea would say.."Get to it!!!"

John A. Chiara aka. Blind Johnny
Albany Audio Associates Inc.
Troy, NY
518-961-0069 - cell

Duane Massey

• http://www.ozknozz.com
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2006, 10:51:34 am »

The older Community Leviathans were the earliest that I know of. If you added the extensions they were excellent live bass horns.
I've been building slight variations on a design we developed at my formar company in the late 70's that is a low-flare-rate front-loaded horn. Although it doesn't have flat response down to 28hz unless used in multiples or with extensions, it is definitely directional thru it's operational range. Community may still make a similar horn in their CS series (haven't looked in a while). You don't see this type of horn very often; they are difficult to build, weigh quite bit, and are bigger than conventional vented boxes, but they do their job very nicely.
I'm sure there are several other manufacturers who build something else along these lines as well.
Duane Massey
Houston, Texas, USA

RYAN LOUDMUSIC JENKINS

Re: Different Sub Designs and their applications
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2006, 07:01:58 pm »

One type of sub that hasn't been mention here is the Dual Planar type sub, i.e. SB1000 or TCS2800.  These are a good compromise in my opinion for easy of set-up, and output charateristics.  They are fairly small and light, go low and get loud.  They may not be for everyone but my TCS2800s sure take care of my needs.  Their size makes them easy to stack, and also load into trucks/trailers.  Since they are short they can fit under some stages for those that like to do center clusters.
Ryan Jenkins
"Two days until the end of when I don't know what to think.  Three days until I start the cycle all over again!"

Please visit my website at http://www.murphygirl.com

Antone Atmarama Bajor

• http://www.geocities.com/somesoundgreat
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2006, 07:09:07 am »

What exactly is a "dual planer" subwoofer  Is that sort of like what I've heard called a compound subwoofer?  The two Drivers aimed at eachother with a slot in the front?

Antone-

RYAN LOUDMUSIC JENKINS

« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2006, 07:07:34 pm »

That may be another name for it.

Here is a pic of SB1000 from EAW's website

index.php/fa/3806/0/
Ryan Jenkins
"Two days until the end of when I don't know what to think.  Three days until I start the cycle all over again!"

Please visit my website at http://www.murphygirl.com

Dave Rickard

« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2006, 07:52:34 pm »

My understanding is that it is just a direct radiator design, but with a smaller frontal area.

Of course I could be wrong.

Dave
Dave
Yorkville dealer

"The wrong piece of gear, at the right price, is still the wrong piece of gear."

"If you don't have good stuff at each end of the signal chain, (mics and speakers) what you use in between is just turd polish."--Dave Dermont

Antone Atmarama Bajor

• http://www.geocities.com/somesoundgreat
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2006, 02:14:40 am »

Yah I'm pretty sure the only benefit to that particular configuration is keeping the front dimensions small.  I think the Dual Planar is just a buzz term they coined.  There may be some gain at Higher frequencies but I doubt it gives any LF extension.

I did see some photos of those being used in the AES Subwoofer Array shootouts.  Along with Bassmaxx and Basstech 7's.

Unfortunately I didn't see any meaningful data tested as to the performance of any of the subwoofers.

Antone-
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 19 queries.