ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: servodrive basstech 7. and eaw kf 850  (Read 3381 times)

Miguel Castro Rios

servodrive basstech 7. and eaw kf 850
« on: March 13, 2006, 12:52:03 AM »

i was originally trying to buy 6 kf850 and 6 sb850. but i have found 6 basstech 7 in a good price. i think that the bassthech7 will outperform the sb850. but i'm not sure if it would be a good comanion for the kf850? if i buy 6 bass tech 7. how would you stak them?. so that i have no phase problems. any suggestions? what about the crossover? the kf850 you can buy the eaw mx8750 and problem solved. but what 'bout the servodrive?........... any suggestions?

Antone Atmarama Bajor

• http://www.geocities.com/somesoundgreat
Re: servodrive basstech 7. and eaw kf 850
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2006, 02:54:37 PM »

I would say 1 2X3 stack would be the optimal config.
If you have a solid wall on either side of the stage you could couple them to the walls 3 High.  

Or you can aim them into a corner with the mouths 28" away from the wall cab flush to sidewall or floor.  I think that Time Domain will become an issue for live music.

I don't know if there is much difference in stacking them 2X2 in a large horn or standing them vertically 4 side by side.

Doing this with 3 side by side may be ok but 2 or 1 is not very effective.

I think best case is to always have the subs in one location as opposed to two unless you are less than 1/3wave the high cut apart.  But that isn't often do able.

I think the BT7's are phase minimal except
1. the horn path is ~10.6' long so you will need time delay.  
2. Any Xover filter will cause phase shift at cross over.  Depending on where you are operating your top boxes down to they may or may not overlap nicely since phase gets funny in most reflex boxes close to resonance.

Antone-

Miguel Castro Rios

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2006, 04:06:12 PM »

thanks. one thing 'bout the bt7, i have heard that they give a lot of problems. in other words they arn't rliealble and are unpractical...is that true? .. .

Antone Atmarama Bajor

• http://www.geocities.com/somesoundgreat
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2006, 04:28:32 PM »

No they are very reliable, as long as you don't abuse them and opperate them with an appropriate lowpass filter/xover.

If you like to hard clip your amps a lot, you will kill them.  Better to run them off a 800WRMS amp and never clip than run them off a 400WRMS amp and clip frequently.

You should inspect the blue pads and belts when you get if you get them.  I just bought 3 used ones and the belts and pads were bad on one of them.  But all of my brushes were good.

FYI its the Servo Drive SD5 that had reliability issues.  That is the grand father of the BT7.

If you treat your BT7 with respect it will last as long as any other standard VC sub.  If you treat it like a newbie DJ it will die a horrible death.

Antone-

Miguel Castro Rios

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2006, 11:18:27 PM »

thanks.. i'll take it in consideration.

Chris Cowley

• http://www.humhead-digital.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2006, 05:08:10 PM »

miguel castro wrote on Mon, 13 March 2006 05:52

you can buy the eaw mx8750 and problem solved. but what 'bout the servodrive?........... any suggestions?

EAW publish all their processor setting for various manufacturers - Use an Omidrive instead and adjust the delay to suit the length of horn. It will be adding roughly the same amount to each band on the KF850s
GO YOU BIG RED FIRE ENGINE!!!!!!!!!

Miguel Castro Rios

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2006, 01:59:18 PM »

mmmmmmm..

THANKS!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 20 queries.