ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: best way to position the tweeters in installation  (Read 1938 times)

Rodney Connelly

best way to position the tweeters in installation
« on: December 06, 2005, 06:22:04 pm »

I know other variables exist, but let's just speak generally.  In a large room, that is shaped like a rectangle.  Shorter sides, but deep from front to rear.  When putting speakers such as ev sx 300's in the ceiling.  Is it better to have the tweeters both facing inward as in the top example of my drawing, or should the speakers be positioned as the lower example in my attached drawing?  What do you think?index.php/fa/3384/0/

Mac Kerr

• SR Forums
Re: best way to position the tweeters in installation
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2005, 06:44:03 pm »

Neither. Unless you have a very narrow tall room, they should be oriented vertically, either horn up or down. Except in rare cases the coverage patten of the horn section of the speaker is not the same in the horizontal and vertical dimensions. The speaker should be oriented so the horn's coverage pattern works the best for the room.

Mac

Rob Timmerman

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2005, 07:17:19 pm »

Ah, but the Sx300 has a symmetrical horn.  

I would position the speakers as a mirror image pair (horns in or out) so that the lobes in the crossover region are symmetrical in the room.  

Rodney Connelly

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2005, 11:16:46 pm »

Yes the dispersion pattern is 65 x 65 in this cabinet so are you saying that the drawing at the top of the diagram would be a better way to go?

Tom Young

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2005, 06:58:56 am »

Yes. However, if the ldspkrs you show are as close to one another as they appear to be you should try the ldspkrs with the horns (both) out and then with the horns both in. You need to do this because if the ldspkrs are this close, the LF drivers will interact with one another and one position may yield better response.

You keep the HF's from interacting with one another by splaying the ldspkrs.
Tom Young
Electroacoustic Design Services
Oxford CT
Tel: 203.888.6217
Email: dbspl@earthlink.net
www.dbspl.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 20 queries.