ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Yorkville VS Yorkville...U15/EF500P  (Read 18474 times)

Jason Ellis

Yorkville VS Yorkville...U15/EF500P
« on: December 06, 2005, 01:39:21 PM »

I know some of you have used both...which do you like better? (forget about the powered/unpowered stuff...(I really wish they had a powered U15 for apples to apples).

Program material from Vox with tracks, to full rock band, full kit, etc...I'm already decided on ls800p's for subs...the tops...well thats where I need some help, the local's don't stock the higher-end Yorkville products for demos...Sad

Also if you think the TX4 is worth the upgrade let me know, but it seems to me that 100lbs to lift is enough, and the U15 should be just as loud...

Scott Hibbard

Re: Yorkville VS Yorkville...U15/EF500P
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2005, 03:16:25 PM »

Hi Jason,

First, I agree - it's near impossible to find a Yorkville dealer with any higher end boxes  in stock for demonstration(i.e. Elites, Unity's and TX's).  It' a shame actually, because they'd sell a lot more of 'em.  I digressed however.

The EF500P is, in my opinion, one of the better self-powered 2-way 15's available, especially when you consider it's price point of under $ 1k (shop around and you'll find it for less than $ 950).  It's an in your face, no excuses speaker that never fails to impress. A perfect mate to the LS800P or LS808.  

The U15 on the other hand is slightly more refined in it's approach/sound - providing more mid-range warmth and slighty more high frequency extension.  Think of it as a studio monitor on steroids (ok lots of steriods).  Depending on material & venue however, you might opt for 2 subs per U15.  Don't forget it's got (3) midrange drivers and one HF CD - that's a lot for one 15" to keep up with.

You didn't mention enough information however for me (or anyone else) to make an informed recommendation.  Will you be playing indoors? outdoors?  crowd size???  Do you plan for one per side or more than one per side?  Do you have any other requirements that might help dictate product selection? I.E. if you already have an investment in amps, the U15 might seems more desireable, but if you have no amps and starting from scratch with a new system, do self-powered speakers appeal to you?

Best wishes,
ScottH

Jason Ellis

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2005, 05:35:37 PM »

Figure 300-500 people outdoors, mainly acoustic outdoors, indoors rock (different groups etc...) I'm looking to save space and my back on the pack, so I'm leaning towards powered speakers and a power distro (I will most likely replace any IEC's on the back of the powered speakers with powercons or twistlocks if there is avaliable room in the box...forget the warranty (of course Yorkville's is a no-fault...probably doesn't cover speaker modifications...)

I really like the ways the U15 is laid out...the U215's are too heavy (heck the EF500P and U15 are heavy enough) so the double 15" U215 is out. Are you implying that the U15 gets loader than the EF500P? Would that be only when biamped?

I will be running two tops a side...both for coverage and output, which sould help the 15"'s out some...and starting with 2 LS800P's.

Scott Hibbard

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2005, 07:22:34 PM »

Jason,

No I'm not saying the U15 is louder, I am saying the U15's frequency response is slightly higher than that of the EF500P (nothing to do with volume).  I've used the EF500P's many times but only heard the U15's in demo.  The EF500P sounds "thicker/heavier" in bass department but the U15 sounded slightly "crisper".

If you're looking to save space, clearly powered speakers are the way to go.  As you know, the EF500P is already bi-amped. Biamping the U15's would require at least 2 amps and a UP15 processor, if you're so inclined to buying/carrying the extra gear.  

Since you're already set on the active LS800P subs, the EF500P's make perfect sense and they "play" very nicely together (no pun intended).  You're not, but if you were considering the UCS1 sub instead of the LS800P, I'd lean more towards the U15's.  I'd consider the whole package when making the decision.  

In terms of saving your back on weight, the LS800P weighs 30 pounds more than it's passive counterpart (LS808) but would require less trips to the truck. However, with a passive speaker and power amp, you get to spread the weight out into 2 lighter trips to the truck as opposed to the active speaker where amp/speaker are one. Decisions, decisions!

Does budget play into the equation?

ScottH

P.S. Either way you won't go wrong - both speakers provide incredible value for the money.  I just took delivery of some LS808's last month and they outpace speakers twice their price.  (Powered with bridged RMX1850HD's).

Scott Hibbard

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2005, 09:25:41 PM »

Jason you might have a read over this:
http://srforums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/t/10940/0

recent forum member posting on the EF500P.

ScottH

Jason Ellis

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2005, 01:51:02 AM »

Thnaks Scott, I also found harmony-central for some more (actually more real opinions on the yorkie stuff than here) that was help ful, so processing suggestions an the like...so far I've heard about some adjustments around 250, 630, and 4k or so...and some useful insights on the TX4 and the U15...

As to the earlier post about budgeting...I'm looking at the $1000 cab range stuff...if all I can rustle is $6K then my options are the powered line only...I'd like $9K to grab up some nx55p for monitors as well...

Scott Hibbard

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2005, 08:29:20 AM »

Jason...just curious if you're leaning towards the EF500P, U15 or TX-4's?

ScottH

P.S. NX cabs are great - I've got some NX250P's - much less power than the NX55's - but still do they job!

Jason Ellis

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2005, 12:43:22 PM »

I'm leaning towards the EF500P for the packing space and price so far, but if the money was there I would have a hard time deciding between the U15 and TX4 even though I would have to pack another couple racks...

I have to set and strike alone fairly often and the weight of the EF500P's makes me somewhat nervous, but any step up from my EV SX-series speakers are going to be heavier. My amp rack right now is around 150-170lbs and THAT is a bear right now. Thankfully, it has wheels, but ocasionally I do have to lift it. I know the LS800p's are around the same weight, but they have wheels, and anytime those would need to be lifted I will have a ramp...so that covers me there.

I'd love to give any of these three a listen first, I'm going to try and track down users in the TN area...

Mike Pyle

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2005, 01:25:31 PM »

Are you considering painted or carpet finishes? Unfortunately, Yorkville adds a premium for the paint.
Mike Pyle
Audiopyle Sound
707-315-6204
Dealer: Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, KV2, FBT, EAW, Danley, SLS, Turbosound, dBTech
 APB,A&H,Audix,Shure,Powersoft,RoadReady,K&M,Ultimate ,Global Truss,DENON,Chauvet,Elation...

Jason Ellis

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2005, 02:25:43 PM »

No question on that, painted only please! Smile

Jeff Knorr - Cobra Sound

• http://cobrasound.com
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2005, 10:04:06 AM »

I definitely third going with the painted versions.  The Yorkville painted cabs with custom padded covers makes a very "pro" setup.

We (and our customers) have been very happy with both the U15/EF500P's and the LS800P subs.  I don't think you'd go wrong either way.  Just an FYI, I believe a self-powered U15 is in the works but it's probably still at least a few months off...

Jeff
Cobra Sound
An authorized Allen&Heath, Ashly Audio, Audio-Technica, Audix, Da-Lite, Danley Sound Labs, FBT, Mackie, QSC Audio, RCF, Sabine, Sennheiser, Whirlwind, and Yorkville Sound dealer.

Mike McNany

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2005, 04:37:34 PM »

Scott Hibbard wrote on Sat, 10 December 2005 15:16

Depending on material & venue however, you might opt for 2 subs per U15.  Don't forget it's got (3) midrange drivers and one HF CD - that's a lot for one 15" to keep up with.

Scott,
While the 2nd sentance above appears to be logical from generic PA experience, you're not taking into account the crossover points (& the mids are 5" speakers). The mid to low is crossed at 315hz so the woofer doesn't have to cover a lot of range. Add in that the 15" can handle the full 800 watts program by itself. Bi-amping the U15 means hi/mid to low, no other options. The 15" can handle it's own, especially if you use the factory processor (or mimic it's settings) crossing to the LS808/800P at 120Hz.

Jason,
I'm using a basic single U15 over a LS808 per side bar stack poled, each fed 900 and 1200 watts respectively, mimicing the factory processor with a DRPA I cannot give the comparisions you desire but am quite happy with what I have. The LS808 at 117# are a bit of a PITA for one person (early version, no wheels) but I have a dolly for that, better through single doors anyway. The U15s are just a little bit too much for one person to remove from stands/poles when they stick  Crying or Very Sad  but are relatively easy to carry due to their shape  Razz

And I 4th the painted versions. Beer wipes off easier  Mad
Got covers for the subs & a set of E210Bs I have. U15Bs are owned by a band mate, trying to talk him into the same covers.  

Mike McNany

Tim Padrick

« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2005, 12:43:44 PM »

There's a powered version of the U15 (with DSP) in the works, according to an email I received from them.

Note that the U15 sounds better with some stuffing, to fix the upper bass bump acoustically instead of with processing.  Same goes for the E12, and likely others as well.

Scott Hibbard

« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2005, 10:46:33 AM »

I wouldn't be surprised to see the powered U15 (U15P) introduced on the floor at Winter NAMM this year  Smile.  It is expected to be tri-amp'ed system with internal DSP for Eq/delay etc.  It is also going to be slightly larger (wider) than the passive U15 for greater low end response.  Heck they might even take the wraps off a self-powered version of the UCS1 sub (UCS1P) at the same time.  

Christmas in January anyone?!
ScottH

Jeff Knorr - Cobra Sound

• http://cobrasound.com
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2005, 06:37:57 PM »

Scott Hibbard wrote on Tue, 27 December 2005 10:46

I wouldn't be surprised to see the powered U15 (U15P) introduced on the floor at Winter NAMM this year  Smile.  It is expected to be tri-amp'ed system with internal DSP for Eq/delay etc.  It is also going to be slightly larger (wider) than the passive U15 for greater low end response.  Heck they might even take the wraps off a self-powered version of the UCS1 sub (UCS1P) at the same time.  

Christmas in January anyone?!
ScottH

Here's the pre-release info, http://www.yorkville.com/products.asp?id=346&cat=38& type=29

I'm thinking we'll be ordering at least a pair to try 'em out. Smile

Jeff
Cobra Sound
An authorized Allen&Heath, Ashly Audio, Audio-Technica, Audix, Da-Lite, Danley Sound Labs, FBT, Mackie, QSC Audio, RCF, Sabine, Sennheiser, Whirlwind, and Yorkville Sound dealer.
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 20 queries.