ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Carvin TRX Series....  (Read 59874 times)

Leo Rowe

Carvin TRX Series....
« on: November 30, 2005, 06:36:20 PM »

I would like to say hello to everyone and thanks for having me on the site. I noticed that a few people had questions about The Carvin TRX series. I would like to say that having 8 of the 153s', i have no complaints whatsoever. The lows are tight and punchy, mids are clear, and the highs are precise to say the least. Once the Box is powered right you should have no problems. I know many people are skeptical to using a brand such as Carvin because thay are not as big a company as the other names such as JBL or EAW, but i have to say that they provide awesome customer service, and stand buy the product 100%. If you are looking for something a little more beefier or more on the high end large venue type of gear then check out there other stuff at TCSAUDIO.com. Trust me, YOU WILL NOT BE DISSAPPOINTED. For the price ($599) you will not get an acoustically better (B and C drivers and eminence speakers used throughout), extremely well built box (13 ply baltic birch)for the money.index.php/fa/3317/0/

Tom Manchester

• http://www.electrosoundsystems.com
Re: Carvin TRX Series....
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2005, 07:44:41 PM »

Hi,
First off. be sure to change your nickname from soundwboy to your first and last name, now that that's out of the way...

I'd like to hear more info about your work with these boxes. I was looking into them some time ago but I guess I sort of forgot about them. Can you give us more info about the gig you used them at (audience size, music type, etc.). Are there any other boxes you have worked with you can compare these to?
-Tom
Electro Sound Systems

Evan Kirkendall

• http://www.evankirkendall.com
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2005, 07:51:29 PM »

I hate you.  Very Happy

Just when I thought I was over those boxes you bring up a good review of them...

Hm.. Now its down to TRX vs. QW.

Like Tom said:
1. What style music?
2. How big of crowd?
3. Anything else?

Evan
Not all change is good change.

Christopher Myers

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2005, 08:04:12 PM »

I too seriously considered getting some of these a while ago, but something struck me as this being one of those 'too good to be true' products.  It's a shame there aren't more of these out there where we could get some good test results and such.  
Chris Myers
Tangent Productions, LLC

Leo Rowe

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2005, 08:05:21 PM »

I use these boxes for 500 - 1500 people triamped most times. Most times in events of about 800- 1500 people I will hang the boxes off of a genie lift four on each side supplemented by 2 Eaw sb850s or 1000s perside. For smaller shows i do 2 a side and they perform well enough. I do all types of music but I mainly do heavy reggae music and progressive or contemporary gospel music.

The way i run them Tri-amp goes as follows....

Subs- Macrotech 5002
Lows- Macrotech 3602----15 inch 600 watt
Mids- Macrotech 2402----8 inch  200 watt on a radial phase plug
Highs- Macrotech 1202---- 1 inch on a 60 x 40

SErious system....Comparable to JBL SRX series if not better. I havent used the EAW 650 series but according to specs they might be able to run with them. I thought they would of opted to use B and C woofers instead of the eminence but the eminence are tight and defined. The B and C driver in the horn is a great addition too. You have choice of NL8 for triamp mode or NL4 for biamp or full range.

any more questions write back....  index.php/fa/3321/0/

Leo Rowe

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2005, 08:15:37 PM »

In my secondindex.php/fa/3322/0/ reply i laid out some of the specs. The only problem i had with the box or with the comp is that they dont set out any processor settings (as i use a behringer DCX and ocassionally BSS stuff on this system) So therefore its up to u and how u want to set the processor settings depending on your music and your taste. its really a plug and play box if u want it to be but if your triamping u got to play around with your settings and delays in your processor. I dont know y they havent done any tunings for it yet cause hey have tunings for there TCS lines.

Evan Kirkendall

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2005, 08:53:50 PM »

Ive always liked Carvin boxes.

The price is right...

Ill have to think about this one..

Evan

Leo Rowe

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2005, 09:04:25 PM »

Most definetly....even call up the carvin guys they are real helpful with everything and if your on a bugdet they even have good amps for u to choose from that are incredibly reliable and good. Trust me i think Carvin is the best kept secret in the buisness.

Anymore ?'s feel free to ask. Just make sure u have good power going to them even though the box has a good X-over in it.

Evan Kirkendall

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2005, 09:13:41 PM »

Well, Ive got enough power to triamp them...

Horns: QSC series 1 model 1200 brigded. 100w
Mids:QSC RMX850 bridged 200w
Lows: RMX1450 bridged 700w
Subs: RMX2450 (Yorkville LS608)

That seems like a good setup.

Ill have to think about this and talk to Tom.

Evan

Leo Rowe

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2005, 09:33:50 PM »

Dependin on how much boxes you are running....that amplifier setup looks like its way on the low side of the power curve for those boxes.....

Lets say u have a 4 box stereo setup; and we'll use the QSC RMX series for the amplifier units...

TRX-153 comprimises of:

LOW-600 watts at 8 ohms
Mids-200 watts at 16 ohms
High- 80 watts 16 ohms

The proper amplifiers goes as follows:
LOWS- QSC RMX2450 ran in stereo, giving 750 watts into 4 ohms each channel which is still underpowering; so what i would do is run two RMX 1450s in brige mono which then give 1400 watts into 4 ohms which gives me 200 watts of extra headroom to play with. The speakers are still rated up to 1200 watts a peice so your barely scratching the surface.
MIDS- QSC RMX 1450 ran in stereo 8 ohms each channel.
HIGHS- QSC RMX 850 ran in stereo 8 ohms each channel.

I used RMX based on what i though u might want to use, which was also based on your list. You can better power these boxes with Carvin amps which are rated for them or more powerful amps such as the ones i use (macrotechs)or QSC PLX series.

index.php/fa/3323/0/
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 21 queries.