ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Carvin TRX Series....  (Read 59984 times)

Phil LaDue

Re: Carvin TRX Series....
« Reply #70 on: January 16, 2006, 05:28:39 PM »

Any updates?

Evan Kirkendall

• http://www.evankirkendall.com
« Reply #71 on: January 16, 2006, 05:34:26 PM »

Phil LaDue wrote on Mon, 16 January 2006 17:28

Any updates?

Not yet.

First show with Tom's TRX's is in 2 weeks. The 27th.

We'll be posting a review after the gig.

Evan
Not all change is good change.

Phil LaDue

« Reply #72 on: January 16, 2006, 11:30:48 PM »

I might come down there and have listen for myself(if it's ok you of course?)as I will be in Wilmington DE and most likely Elkton MD(cousin is the pastor at the methodist church there) for a few days in February.

Aaron McQueen

« Reply #73 on: February 01, 2006, 01:10:07 PM »

How did the TRX's work out?

Evan Kirkendall

• http://www.evankirkendall.com
« Reply #74 on: February 01, 2006, 03:13:34 PM »

Aaron McQueen wrote on Wed, 01 February 2006 13:10

How did the TRX's work out?

Gig got cancelled... again...

So I have no idea when the first gig with em will be.

WE still played with em though:
http://srforums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/t/11967/6178/?SQ=f 193b5697e6efaa655af890f67a774ee

Evan
Not all change is good change.

Erik Osland

My 2 cents (and that may be all its worth)
« Reply #75 on: February 12, 2006, 11:36:21 PM »

Hi,

I own a set of 152's that I use for monitors.  I believe they are identical exept for design and the mid.  First let me start off with the good news about them.  They are rediculously durable.  I work with nothing but punk bands and drunkards, so my monitors have been dropped, kicked, beered, and a truck ramp was dropped on one once.  So far the accumulated damage is one small scrape and one very slightly dented grill.  I also use them for my own band where I sing.  And I have never heard myself better.  Even with the hypercardioid condenser mics I use, I can place one monitor in front of me (which you shouldn't do with those mics) and I can still hear myself very accurately above my rediculously loud band (if you are familiar with The Boyzz, I currently play with, Mike, the guitarist LOUD!!!!).  Vocals and guitars sound great through them, snare and toms sound pretty good.  They start to have a problem with the lower frequencies.  They project the "pop" of the kick drum pretty well, but the guts aren't there as much as I would like.  But, then again I might just be to picky.  After all they are designed to be monitors and they were $329.

For what it is worth, I got comments from some of my clients after their band performed with the set of four and I could not even solicit a bad comment.  These acts ranged from heavey metal bands to adult contemporary lounge acts, to blues bands and aside from the occasional request for an alteration in the mix there were NO BAD COMMENTS!

For monitors, I believe they beat out mpro's and sr-x's.  Unequalized, running my own sound from stage, I've gotten these to sound better than sr4722x's run by a dedicated monitor mixer at a big gig.  By the by, I run them passive and the 4722's were run biamp for those curious.  They are beaten in clarity and volume by community sls920's though.  

So basically

a run down of qualitative specs
Durable--Hell yeah
Loud--yep
clear--enough
bassy--leaves some to the immagination

For the price they are unbeatable!!!  But I'm still debating about using them as an foh system.  

SEACREST--OUT

Micheal Martinez

Re: My 2 cents (and that may be all its worth)
« Reply #76 on: March 24, 2006, 09:31:15 AM »

A quick question for those of you who have TRX speakers. In your opinion would the finish on those be easily paintable for an install application?(I need white speakers) I am specifically talking about the 153'S.

Thanks
Mike

Jon Dees

« Reply #77 on: April 01, 2006, 01:39:25 AM »

So correct me if I'm wrong, but here's a little math:

4 TRX 153's :$2400
1 Driverack 260: $1000
1 each of 3 Macrotechs from earlier post: $5700 (from AudioEast)
1 14U EWI rack: $190
Don't even care to add up how much cables, rack panels, etc. would be for this setup

Total for this would then be $9300 plus shipping and other stuff.

4 Yorkville U15P's: $5550 (from AudioEast)
1 dbx 2231: $500
4 Audiopile speaker stands: $160 plus shipping

So somewhat more than $6200 for this setup.

To both systems you would want to add subs for many events, but if you believe published specs the Unity's would be significantly louder than the Carvins and would definitely offer better pattern control down to the mid/low xover frequency.  Anyways, just a thought I had...

Jon Dees

Tom Manchester

• http://www.electrosoundsystems.com
« Reply #78 on: April 01, 2006, 02:37:36 AM »

Well I will go into more detail about it later, but just to let you all know. Evan and I did our first gig with the TRX's. the rig was 4 yorkville ls608's with a little under 5 kw going into them all, and 2 Carvin TRX-153's powered (in passive mode) by a plx1602 bridged (800 watts / box). The rig really kicked ass. Plenty of bass, so much that when we played the customary "techno" music before hand when you would walk within 4' of the subs your vision would become slightly blurry and you could feel it shaking you. The TRX's kept up with this just fine. They sounded pretty damn good and we had almost no problems keeping up with loud rock bands. We were doing i think at some points over 100dba at foh 60' from stage. About halfway through the gig evan turned to me and said "alright, i'm buying some TRX's."

I was a bit concerned from preliminary tests that they would not "throw" vocals well, but they did very well, no problems there. It also sounded less "strained" to me then your typical 15+ horn. The mid made it sound more natural in the vocal range along the lines of a 12+ horn box.

So basically they are some pretty good bang for the buck boxes. I mean the boxes alone are worth that as "pro" feeling as they are.  They sound pretty great too.

And in regards to the post regarding painting them, it's basically covered in a hard truck bed liner covering, like thick rubber. You could probably paint them with latex paint if you were gonna install them but i would guess you would need several coats if you were going to do a light color so the black wouldn't show through. You'd probably be best off if you tried several kinds of paint on them in test spots.
-Tom
Electro Sound Systems

RYAN LOUDMUSIC JENKINS

Re: My 2 cents (and that may be all its worth)
« Reply #79 on: April 01, 2006, 05:11:48 PM »

Micheal Martinez wrote on Fri, 24 March 2006 07:31

A quick question for those of you who have TRX speakers. In your opinion would the finish on those be easily paintable for an install application?(I need white speakers) I am specifically talking about the 153'S.

Thanks
Mike

Hey Mike,

TCS Audio (owned by carvin) offers a couple speakers in white.  You could call up carvin and see if they would special make some of the TRX speakers in white for you.  I don't know if they will or not but the answer is always "NO" if you don't ask.

Later, Ryan
Ryan Jenkins
"Two days until the end of when I don't know what to think.  Three days until I start the cycle all over again!"

Please visit my website at http://www.murphygirl.com
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 20 queries.