ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Carvin TRX Series....  (Read 59981 times)

Jerry Nuckolls

• http://www.acousticsinfo.com
Re: Carvin TRX Series....
« Reply #60 on: December 08, 2005, 06:05:09 PM »

John and Evan,
  For clarification, I am refering to moving around the box in a circle, essentially building a polar pattern in your head, not moving away from the speaker while on axis with the horn and driver.

Jerry Nuckolls
Acoustics Engineer
Image Media Solutions

Tom Manchester

• http://www.electrosoundsystems.com
« Reply #61 on: December 12, 2005, 05:56:21 PM »

Update: I got word from the shipping company and set up a delivery date, so I will have it <Carvin trx-153> for a "living room" test in a couple days.

On another note let me say that I'm not to pleased with the particular company it was shipped through. Slow, poor tracking and communication, and you have to set up a delivery time with them. Even though the box is an hour away from me at the moment I have to wait 2 days for it to get here. Which means if I want to get another one in time for my jan 6th gig w/ Evan I am going to be in a time crunch to get my order in and shipped here in time, and I still need to set up a trial in a big room.
-Tom
Electro Sound Systems

Michael 'Bink' Knowles

• http://www.binkster.net/index.shtml
« Reply #62 on: December 13, 2005, 10:46:37 AM »

Quote:

Even though the box is an hour away from me at the moment I have to wait 2 days for it to get here.

Too bad you can't go get it. Or can you? Ask.

-Bink
Michael 'Bink' Knowles
www.binkster.net

Tom Manchester

« Reply #63 on: December 13, 2005, 03:16:55 PM »

I could possibly go pick it up, but I decided against it because I did pay $50 for them to deliver it to my doorstep and I don't want to waste my own gas or time going to get it. It's also finals week for me so I'm a bit pressed for time. I am aiming for Saturday as a Test date at my church if anyone is still interested. I will post the results in a new thread since this one is getting a bit long and off topic.  
-Tom
Electro Sound Systems

Mark Forsyth

« Reply #64 on: January 08, 2006, 06:43:09 PM »

As Bennett said, cabinet design as a science/art.  The TRX 153
was designed by an actual speaker engineer as a prototype for the TCS series, and not by the regular Carvin guys. It is a better design than the regular Carvin boxes. I also agree that the TRX cannot compete with the EAW KF line but the TCS 1500 and 2500 do. Still a lot less $$ the an EAW and awesome power and sound. If you're making thousands a night get EAW or Meyer, if you're making hundreds a night consider Carvin or TCS.  Busines is business.
 I am also not a Carvin endorser or employee.  

RYAN LOUDMUSIC JENKINS

« Reply #65 on: January 08, 2006, 07:05:08 PM »

I don't think they ever invisioned the TRX line to compete with the KF type boxes but rather to compete with the boxes that you would buy at the local Banjo Center, etc.  

I can tell you that my TCS boxes can and do compete with the KF boxes and make me a lot of money! Very Happy  

The 2800s are slammin' subs.  The 2500s are huge and a bit heavy but they absolutely rock.  I also own some of the original TCS215 and TCS218 boxes that were branded as Carvin.  They rock too.  I am slightly biased being a dealer but when you get the feedback about how the clients like the boxes it makes it quite rewarding.  Of course I am only slightly biased and not completely biased because I do use other brands too, I just don't sell any other brands.

I wouldn't have any problems using the TRX line for many types of gigs.  
Ryan Jenkins
"Two days until the end of when I don't know what to think.  Three days until I start the cycle all over again!"

Please visit my website at http://www.murphygirl.com

Tom Manchester

« Reply #66 on: January 09, 2006, 12:13:16 AM »

marfkf wrote on Sun, 08 January 2006 18:43

The TRX 153
was designed by an actual speaker engineer as a prototype for the TCS series, and not by the regular Carvin guys. It is a better design than the regular Carvin boxes.

Wow, I never knew that. Kind of makes me feel a little better about getting these. I like the sound of it but I still have yet to use the box in a real live application. They are really professional feeling boxes. I think they will carry me a good way especially if Evan gets 2 of them we should have a pretty sweet trap system able to cover crowds of several hundred people and do some outdoor shows too. Now if only we could get some real AC power at these venues then we could open up the amps a little Twisted Evil.
-Tom
Electro Sound Systems

RYAN LOUDMUSIC JENKINS

« Reply #67 on: January 09, 2006, 08:53:30 AM »

Tom, It's time to start renting generators.  I do it on almost every gig!  They cost me about $150.00 to $250.00 per day depending on size.  With the small stuff you could use a 50amp motion labs racpac and some 6/4 SOOW cable and you are up and running, it will handle your whole rig with no problems.
Ryan Jenkins
"Two days until the end of when I don't know what to think.  Three days until I start the cycle all over again!"

Tom Manchester

« Reply #68 on: January 09, 2006, 05:14:07 PM »

RYAN LOUDMUSIC JENKINS wrote on Mon, 09 January 2006 08:53

Tom, It's time to start renting generators.  I do it on almost every gig!  They cost me about $150.00 to $250.00 per day depending on size.  With the small stuff you could use a 50amp motion labs racpac and some 6/4 SOOW cable and you are up and running, it will handle your whole rig with no problems.

Laughing If only I made that much on the gigs I do. If i rented one now at what I am currently making then I would probably end up $50-100 in the hole! I'm probably gonna push for it at any more outdoor shows because the last few I have done we are promised a gennie but they show up with an old Honda or Briggs and Straton powered one and say "this should be plenty, right?" I've learned to carry a ton of 12/3 extension cords (orange / yellow of course Twisted Evil)  and pray for an open building nearby.
  It's getting hard though to find enough 20 amp outlets with my rig as it is. I do Have a Poor man's Distro and a regular ditro and hopefully can get some places with a 50 amp outlet of some sort. Well, I'm done being off topic....
-Tom
Electro Sound Systems

RYAN LOUDMUSIC JENKINS

« Reply #69 on: January 09, 2006, 06:49:52 PM »

Hey Tom,

If someone is promoting an event with people coming to enjoy the entertainment then they aren't doing it for free unless they are out of their minds.  They may be.  You too need to make money.  

I have a local company that I have built a good relationship with to provide my generators.  They are not expensive.  Average is about $200 per day depending on what size, how far it needs to be delivered and when it needs to be picked up.  I charge for the generator on my invoice to the client!  There is no reason for someone to not pay the extra money so you can provide a better service for them.  Is such a small investment for them.  For out of town event I out the generator requirements in the contract.  When I am not familiar with a venue I will often require two.  The first one for lights and the second one for sound.  I own my own spider boxes and 6/4 cable so it make it a little easier for me but sometimes I need to add a little of that on there too.

So for your next outdoor gig tell the purchaser that you have upgrading the sound system and that you now require a 50 amp 120/240V connection.  Let them know that you can arrange for the generator and add it on to the invoice.  I can almost bet that they won't turn you down.  Try it out and let us know how it works.  

Just remember, "The answer is always "NO" if you don't ask"!!!!

Good luck! Ryan
Ryan Jenkins

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 18 queries.