ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Carvin TRX Series....  (Read 59875 times)

Tom Manchester

• http://www.electrosoundsystems.com
Re: Carvin TRX Series....
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2005, 03:28:15 AM »

*sigh* well that puts a bit of a damper on my enthusiasm towards these boxes Sad. They seem to be the only boxes I really like for under $1000 per box. Unfortunately this seems to be the only real world review of any sort about them with the exception of Carvin's own site. I fail to see how these could be that bad of a cabinet. Everything seems to be in the right place. 13 ply birch, B&C / Eminence drivers, Heck you can even fly them. What could really be wrong with them? Well, I'm just thinking out loud now. Last call, has anyone else heard these things before I go and order one from Carvin and take them up on the 10 day trial?
-Tom
Electro Sound Systems

Leo Rowe

« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2005, 09:18:24 AM »

1. No I am not a Carvin rep, or am i being paid by Carvin to talk about their boxes. Just a satisfied customer and a believer of carvin products.

2. I use a variety of pro audio products and do not discriminate against any manufacturers. Once you make a good piece of equipment that is worth being in my rack, or in my store room for that matter i will buy it. Just because Mackie makes a good mixer does that mean everything in your inventory will be mackie? Especially with the variety of products that appear on riders' today?

3. I'm no longer in elementary school....so even if i did make a typographical mistake on my profile, or any where else for that matter i dont need u correcting it.

4. Does it really matter to me if those photos are gettin under your skin? They werent for you; they were to help those guys out that needed info on the boxes.

I'll tell everyone on this site, dont take my word for it. Hear it for your self. Carvin has an awesome 10 day money back guarantee on all their products. I had a friend that had a "Full Carvin" setup. I mean boards processors amps with TCS boxes and it made a believer out of me. I then proceeded to purchase and until this day I've had no problems. Great customer support and will do almost anything to get it right for you all the time.
index.php/fa/3327/0/

Evan Kirkendall

• http://www.evankirkendall.com
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2005, 03:05:09 PM »

Well, I do like the TRX, but I know the EAW KF stuff would win. But  thats comparing a $3k box to a $600 box.

Looks like Tom wil have to buy 1 and we'll see what happens from there..

BTW Leo- Those pictures are getting a little annoying. You dont need to post the same picture over and over again. I can see the last ones just fine....

Evan
Not all change is good change.

Tom Manchester

« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2005, 04:09:39 PM »

While I too am certain that these aren't close to EAW KF in performance, after studying them a little more I see no reason they couldn't come close to maybe JBL SR47--X stuff. Everything seems to be in place and the drivers are from reputable manufacturers. If the cabinets are made to be flown in arrays then I imagine there is some degree of quality in the cabinet construction, especially since they are made of Baltic birch. I have heard they are even made along with the TCS stuff. I guess if Leo is anything like Evan or I then perhaps he has found a low priced product that really performs akin to something twice the price. We never expected to get such great performance out of the yorkville ls608's but they are incredible, and I think the same in performance to many items 2 or 3 times the price. As a result you all know we are phanatical about them and would reccomend them to anyone, but we are not dealers nor do we have any connection to yorkville. I suppose I will talk to my dad, the posessor of the credit card, and see if I can get one shipped out to me. If time permits I might be able to arrange a listening test at my church rec hall some weekend for myself and other local Labsters who may be interested. Perhaps this is a deal that has just been overlooked.
-Tom
Electro Sound Systems

Tom Manchester

« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2005, 04:10:29 PM »

While I too am certain that these aren't close to EAW KF in performance, after studying them a little more I see no reason they couldn't come close to maybe JBL SR47--X stuff. Everything seems to be in place and the drivers are from reputable manufacturers. If the cabinets are made to be flown in arrays then I imagine there is some degree of quality in the cabinet construction, especially since they are made of Baltic birch. I have heard they are even made along with the TCS stuff. I guess if Leo is anything like Evan or I then perhaps he has found a low priced product that really performs akin to something twice the price. We never expected to get such great performance out of the yorkville ls608's but they are incredible, and I think the same in performance to many items 2 or 3 times the price. As a result you all know we are phanatical about them and would reccomend them to anyone, but we are not dealers nor do we have any connection to yorkville. I suppose I will talk to my dad, the posessor of the credit card, and see if I can get one shipped out to me. If time permits I might be able to arrange a listening test at my church rec hall some weekend for myself and other local Labsters who may be interested. Perhaps this is a deal that has just been overlooked.
-Tom
Electro Sound Systems

Bennett Prescott

• http://www.adraudio.com
Re: Carvin TRX Series.... (OT)
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2005, 04:56:27 PM »

Thanks, Leo... Audio whore or real life Prostitute, you've still gotta wear nice clothes to attract the clientele, eh?
-- Bennett Prescott
Director of North American Sales
ADRaudio d.o.o.
Cell: (518) 488-7190

"Give me 6dB and I shall move the world." -Archimedes

Bennett Prescott

• http://www.adraudio.com
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2005, 04:59:58 PM »

Listen before buying, Tom. Nothing raises my suspicion more than something that everyone claims matches a $2000 product yet costs only $200...

Drivers don't mean shit. I could take the best drivers in the world and make a really crappy speaker, because I am not a loudspeaker designer and I suspect that most people at Carvin aren't, either. I would also remember that anyone can build an enclosure that sounds OK on axis at reasonable volumes within 50'... what happens at the extreme edges of its coverage, at a rock concert, 100' away, at full power, when you're running 4 a side? That's what I'd like to know, and that's why the KF650 cannot be compared to this box.
-- Bennett Prescott
Director of North American Sales
ADRaudio d.o.o.
Cell: (518) 488-7190

"Give me 6dB and I shall move the world." -Archimedes

Michael 'Bink' Knowles

• http://www.binkster.net/index.shtml
« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2005, 05:18:06 PM »

Quote:

3. I'm no longer in elementary school....so even if i did make a typographical mistake on my profile, or any where else for that matter i dont need u correcting it.

Well, it was kind of a silly misspelling that made me remember the way Benny Hill used to get away with almost saying naughty words on TV. I just thought you would want to know...

-Bink
Michael 'Bink' Knowles
www.binkster.net

Franklin Benjamin

« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2005, 05:28:39 PM »

I think Tom intended to purchase one speaker for demoing (is that a word) and make good use of Carvins ten day return policy.  I have been tempted to do the same a few times.  I will say this, as I have purchased items from carvin before.  A few drivers and crossovers back in the "I've got a circular saw and plywood" days as well as their old TCS (pre TCSAUDIO)boxes.  At the time they sounded okay.  Now I am not so sure.  I will say that the passive networks that I have encountered from them do color the sound.  I can put an sr4725a out and beat the snot out of it because I know it can take the power.  But then again there is a significant difference in price.  The components themself for the most part were decent.  So if they were run triamped, I would think that they can be made to sound good.  Would I put B&C's smallest 1 inch up against a 2426.  I don't think so but then again not many one inch drivers can take the abuser that it can.  To me, it looks like it would be a good box once you were finished rolling your own settings as long as it is used as it should be.  The same TCS boxes that I have I think it was TCS 215, I would put them up against an SR4733 box anyday.  I can say that because I have used both and will tell you that processing makes such a difference.  Also the fact that the passive crossovers left the box after 15 minutes of listening.  If you plan on running the box passive, I would not recommend them unless they have changed their passive networks since last I purchased.
Franklin Benjamin

Tom Manchester

« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2005, 05:43:38 PM »

man what a tough decision. On the one hand I could get some potentially great boxes for $600, on the other hand I could loose out on $100 for shipping returning them. fwiw I don't think these are the smallest of B&C's drivers. It is rated at 100 watts. Having a mid range driver I don't think the horn would have to work as hard either. Remember the jbl srx 3 way box? those had a small horn in them. Does anyone live near Carvin that could go and check these things out? Or, does anyone know anyone who has some and can give them a listen to see if they are worth my time? These are the only boxes I like in the price I want to spend unless anyone else has any ideas.

I guess if they don't sound good I could get some of Bennett's silica spherules to fix it Very Happy
-Tom
Electro Sound Systems
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 19 queries.