ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Noise Monitoring Kit  (Read 1783 times)

daniel meakin

• http://www.danielmeakin.com
Noise Monitoring Kit
« on: November 28, 2005, 07:07:40 AM »

I'm trying to find a product that does the following job: I need a noise level meter that can be accurately calibrated, combined with an AD convertor and an Ethernet output to form a single device that can remotely monitor noise levels, broadcast the noise level data as well as the option of the realtime audio over voip to a remote monitoring system via standard networking protocols. It doesn't need a display or built in logging devices, as i want it those facilities at the central monitoring computer, so sort of a black box type thing.

If no-one can find such a product, i'm interested in finding a group of people to delevop it. I want to be able to set up a network of such devices at a typical festival site, and have all the data monitored and recorded at a single point. This will probably require bespoke software, but i'm sure that an open source solution can be quickly developed. Having these remote devices network enabled expands the possibilites for their use, so perhaps local authorities monitoring sites that require constant monitoring can use one of these connected to a central point via an ADSL VPN connection, so that peaks can easily be identified, plus the associated audio logged as well.

I know there are several expensive noise level meters out there that can transmit their logged audio via GSM or modem, but i'm looking for a cheap and easy to implement solution that is easily scaleable via off the shelf networking products.

Shane Ervin

Re: Noise Monitoring Kit
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2005, 10:07:25 AM »

Thanks for the post, and welcome to the board, Daniel.

Great idea.  Please post any progress on this file.  I'd be very interested in following the story.

Meanwhile, could you post any links you've got for the products you mention that support Tx of SPL data via GSM (or CDMA, a popular North American cellular standard).

You'll find folks on this board very receptive to staying on top of community noise issues, especially as they relate to dealing with the "SPL Police".
Shane

Langston Holland

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2005, 11:57:58 AM »

How about using Smaart on networked computer with remote control software?
God bless you and your precious family - Langston

Soundscapes <><

Iain_Macdonald

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2005, 01:08:42 PM »

Daniel,

I am sure I have talked about this with Jim Griffiths at Symonds Group (East Grinstead). You might be able to hire their system. They will certainly give you a pointer in the right direction.

The sort of product you are after, is well known. Remote monitoring of environmental noise is a growing industry. Symonds do events monitoring in Hyde Park London, Wembly etc. Also, environmental issues, like the Channel Tunnel rail extension. Respectfully I suggest you start with a Google session. There are many entries for 'remote sound level monitoring'.

You could also speak to the Acoustics Dept at Salford Uni.

Iain.

http://www.symonds-group.com/

daniel meakin

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2005, 08:05:42 PM »

<I am sure I have talked about this with Jim Griffiths at Symonds Group (East Grinstead). You might be able to hire their system. They will certainly give you a pointer in the right direction.>

Thanks. I've worked with Jim in the past, he's previously employed me to do noise monitoring. Their system is based on expensive spl meters that log data, store it locally, and then transmit it in packet form. The other method is the use of an analogue rf system whereby a monitoring officer can be sited at an NSP remotely identify a site. I'm more interested in a low cost system that is easily scaleable and more suited to use by small PA companies doing outdoor festivals, so they can pre-empt visits from the local authority. Jim Griffiths and his team do a lot of very good work for the bigger events where budget isn't an issue. PA companies are trying to get the local noise police on their side, and a pro-active monitoring solution is needed, it's just very expensive at the moment. I'm trying to get around that.

<The sort of product you are after, is well known. Remote monitoring of environmental noise is a growing industry. Symonds do events monitoring in Hyde Park London, Wembly etc. Also, environmental issues, like the Channel Tunnel rail extension. Respectfully I suggest you start with a Google session. There are many entries for 'remote sound level monitoring'.>

Loads of which cost in excess of

daniel meakin

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2005, 08:10:06 PM »

thanks shane, the product i found is below, although i think the GSM function is an optional accessory. That given, it probably could be adapted for CDMA fairly easily.

http://www.noise-and-vibration.co.uk/pages/noise/remote.html

Dan

daniel meakin

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2005, 08:16:59 PM »

I considered the smaart option, but it doesn't scale very well. a typical low budget festival here in the UK would probably include 1 main outdoor stage and as many as 5 smaller tented stages. That would entail a measurement device in the 6 FOH positions, and then probably at least 3 local noise sensitive properties. Thus whatever monitoring system was used would need to easily scale up, in both logging ie storage capabilites and ease of use ie a GUI which adapts easily to multiple sources.

Nice thought though

Dan

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2005, 08:16:59 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 22 queries.