ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Facing subs to a corner?  (Read 8476 times)

Dave Rickard

Re: Facing subs to a corner?
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2005, 01:57:45 AM »

Here's my story and I'm sticking to it.

http://srforums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/m/80345/503/?SQ=8c e5ac322f47191381f4c56668c44b46#msg_80345

The links in my other post are worthwhile reading.

Dave
Dave
Yorkville dealer

"The wrong piece of gear, at the right price, is still the wrong piece of gear."

"If you don't have good stuff at each end of the signal chain, (mics and speakers) what you use in between is just turd polish."--Dave Dermont

Antone Atmarama Bajor

• http://www.geocities.com/somesoundgreat
Re: Down firing cornerloading?
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2005, 07:31:09 AM »

Making a box larger, normally at the cost of adding more noticeable resonances and loosing control over diaphragm excursion.

I'm building a sealed box for a friend.  One Idea was to make a cube using 4 12" drivers.  This box is going to have a either a dual integrator (Elf style Eq) or a linkwitz transform EQ curve.  If I do the integrator Eq than I will only be operating the thing bellow F3, and I'm probably going to have a Q
of .707 so my dimensions are fixed.  I don't want an extra High or Low Q box.

If I do the 4 Driver Cube.  One of the Drivers will be pointing Skyward in 1/4 space loading.  I'm probably going to end up doing a 2X12" for him though that will probably load 1/4 and 8th space fairly well (1 firing forward 1 firing up or both firing 90degrees in the corner).

At least I don't see why not.

Antone-  

Paul O'Brien

« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2005, 10:53:12 AM »

How about an SB1000 style cabinet where 2 drivers fire into a clam shell type opening. This will put the acoustic output of both drivers in phase and in the same direction. You could make the cab a more vertical design instead of the deeper layout of the EAW, so it fits in a corner better.
Paul O

Antone Atmarama Bajor

• http://www.geocities.com/somesoundgreat
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2005, 10:52:11 PM »

If I use these drivers with an ELF style EQ, I will not be using them much above 50Hz.  I don't think phase problems is going to much of an issue, since the drivers will be less than 1/8 of a wavelength apart.

I think it will be all good.

Antone-

Randy Pence

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2005, 08:41:08 AM »

These were homemade subs, built, owned, and operated by someone else.  I know all about boundary loading, and being concrete, there  was nothing transparant about the walls.  I prefer not to boundary load and instead use more subs.  Its not like the mouth of hte box is flush with the wall.  Sure, we're talking about long wavelenghts, but its approaching 80 hz that im not cool with the wall technique so often.

So, were these guys likely just facing their subs the other direction for more protection against destructive guests?  I cant imagine their polar plots were anything but omnidirectional, but have seen cones punctured with pens.

Dave Rickard

« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2005, 01:56:28 PM »

Randy Pence wrote on Wed, 30 November 2005 06:41

So, were these guys likely just facing their subs the other direction for more protection against destructive guests?  I cant imagine their polar plots were anything but omnidirectional, but have seen cones punctured with pens.

Randy,

To whom are you directing this question?  You replied to your own original message with this post.

Dave
Dave
Yorkville dealer

"The wrong piece of gear, at the right price, is still the wrong piece of gear."

"If you don't have good stuff at each end of the signal chain, (mics and speakers) what you use in between is just turd polish."--Dave Dermont

Randy Pence

« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2005, 03:13:22 PM »

Sorry, my reply was not to anyone in particular.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 21 queries.