ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 18" driver suggestions  (Read 4599 times)

Caley Monahon-Ward

18" driver suggestions
« on: October 16, 2005, 02:21:08 am »

Hello all,

I'm writing in search of help with a driver replacement for a pair of EV sh1801 subs (these are the same as the T18). They're single, horn-loaded 18s that came stock with a dl18mt woofer, rated 400w. I'd like to replace these with something more robust (in the 600-1000w range), as I just blew one of the drivers last week. Anyway, I assume I blew it. It came home one day not working, with no physical signs of stress.

Ideally, I'd rather get another pair of subs to share the burden, but space/portability is a real issue for my operation, so if I can get more handling by replacing the drivers rather than adding a pair, I'd much rather do it.

I do have a brand new JBL 2241 sitting around that I threw in today, as I need both subs for a show next week. EV told me this was a really bad idea, and I mostly believe them. I'll be extremely gentle on it next week. But in the meantime, what should I look at purchasing? I can't find any specs for the dl18mt, and I don't know how to determine what speakers would be appropriate, especially without any info on the stock speaker.

I do have a spec sheet for the enclosure, however. It's attached, below, or at  http://www.electrovoice.com/Electrovoice3/files.nsf/Pages/T1 8/$file/T18-eds.pdf

Any direction you might be able to provide would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Caley Monahon-Ward

Patrick Gillert

Re: 18" driver suggestions
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2005, 12:35:22 pm »

The TS parameters are here as well as many others for comparison.

http://www.thielesmall.com/default.asp

Caley Monahon-Ward

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2005, 06:03:03 pm »

Thanks Patrick. That's exactly what I was hoping to find. I've now eyeballed the specs of about 30 drivers, but I'm quite a novice, and I don't know exactly what to look for. So far, I haven't found anything that's an obvious match. How far can I deviate from the DL18mt's TSP specs? And are there any I should particularly pay attention to? I'm sure this is quite obvious to you all, but I would appreciate some input.

The (stock) DL18mt's specs:

Vas [Liters] 435,72  
Qts  0,3595  
Qes  0,3814  
Qms  6,26  
Fs [Hz] 32,93  
Sensitivity [dB] 94  
Max Power [W] 400  
Power definition  Power Rating, as per EIA-RS426A (Watts)  
Lower freq [Hz] 35  
Upper freq [Hz] 800  
Rec. Filter freq [Hz]  
xmax [mm] 5,59  
Moving mass [g] 120,24
xdamage [mm] 12,7
Coil diameter [mm] 63,5  
Cms [mm/N] 0,19  
Rms [N*s/m] 3,97
Magnet diameter [mm] 190,5  
Magnet material - Ceramic  
Re [ohm] 6,4  
Z [ohm] 8

What seem like the best contenders so far are:

Eminence Sigma Pro 18a
Eminence Omega Pro 18
Eminence Magnum Pro 18HO
18Sound 18W1300
B&C 18 PS46
Peavey Lo Rider 18
EV EVX180B
P.Audio BM-18LF

(specs all available at usspeaker.com or manufacturer's sites)

Do anyone have experience with the above? Any suggestions?

Thanks much

Ivan Beaver

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2005, 08:02:35 pm »

If you are looking for a replacement driver to give you any noticable difference-good luck.  Getting a driver with a greater power handling  (to get you louder)is not the answer either.  Assuming the cabinet is properly designed (and I have no reason to believe it is not-for it's intended purpose), then the chances of finding a replacement driver that is much better are not very good.  A vented box is a different issue however-but this is not.  Get your other driver reconed-by a COMPETANT reconer (there are a lot of bad ones out there) and you will be good as new.  If you need more low end, you either need to look at more boxes or a different design.  

What are you looking for in a cabinet? A deeper freq response or louder?  Sometimes you can get both-sometimes you have to choose.  It depends on money-size etc.  Again a choice on what you want. GOOD-FAST-CHEAP your choice of any 2.
For every complicated question-there is a simple- easy to understand WRONG answer.

Can I have some more talent in the monitors--PLEASE?

Ivan Beaver
dB Audio & Video Inc.
Danley Sound Labs

[x]

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2005, 09:32:18 pm »

More/better boxes (but not a combination of the two) sound like the approach to take in this area. Try some extra boxes (you said these were the same as the T18) and appropriate power, and that should keep you safe.
I've said and written things in the past that I wouldn't throw away in my own trash can for fear that you'd find them. My name is mud.

sheldon harris

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2005, 01:02:29 am »

the perfect driver replacement for the dl18mt in the t18 box
or the sh1810 sub or the er version for that matter is the evx 180b. i have two loaded right now with 180a and 180b.i use them for drum monitors.

alternatively i can suggest something a little radical, buy a pair of dl18mt and use them in isobarik configuration. that way you get the power handling and the performance but keep the size
(providing you have the amp power to effectively drive both drivers).
just a thought.
The things we would do in the quest to attain the highest Levels of Sound! the Pressure that is!

Jason Phair

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2005, 06:36:48 pm »

If you've got room for the big ole magnet, maybe the EVX180?
Jason Phair
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.053 seconds with 19 queries.