ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: "special" looking speakers for a pub install  (Read 3108 times)

Eytan Gidron

"special" looking speakers for a pub install
« on: November 10, 2005, 07:01:45 AM »

Hi,

I was approached to design/quote a pub system. I was planning on 8" + 1" tops + subs. I've done this successfully in previous installation. However the architect doesn't want loudspeakers that look like traditional loudspeakers. He wants something "special".

Now he said that he wants panel loudspeakers. The kind that look like pictures hanging on the wall. What do you guys think of such loudspeakers for a pub? My feeling is that they will not cut it. It seems to me that such loudspeakers are more suited for background music at restaurants or maybe for video presentations in offices etc...

Any suggestions for other "special" looking loudspeakers that will fit? Any ideas?
Eytan Gidron
BETTY BAM

David Henry

Re: "special" looking speakers for a pub install
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2005, 07:23:20 AM »

You might want to check out void (www.voidaudio.com) as they have some funny looking speakers, plus, I've never heard a bad thing about them.

David

Dave Slater

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2005, 09:46:21 AM »

i'll second the recommendation for void

the air motion is a particularly nice looking design and having heard them at PLASA can recommend them on the sound quality as well

http://www.voidaudio.com/product_detail.asp?id=42

(might be a little on the large side for your application more meant for clubs but they do smaller stuff as well)

one other thing to consider (seeing as you're in talks with the architect and the soundsystem isn't an after thought as is more traditional in pub/club land) is the possibility of 'hiding' them

ie build the subs to fit under bench seating or act as podiums and the top boxes recessed into walls so they are less obtrusive

Tony Grimwood

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2005, 02:23:14 PM »

If your pub system gets turned up to the "let's party" level, the panel speakers might run into trouble, at least that's been my experience so far. If the system uses multiple zones within the same room you might also have time-alignment / intelligibility issues. I find it so much simpler to get these things right using conventional boxes with horn loaded HF.

Good luck anyway Smile
Tony
Quis custodiet ipsos custodies?

Eytan Gidron

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2005, 01:46:04 PM »

Thank you David, Dave, Tony.

Your comments are helpful.
Eytan Gidron
BETTY BAM
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 20 queries.