ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Minimum Requirements for Good Strobe...?  (Read 1016 times)

Daniel Rheaume

• http://www.reasontoliveband.com
Minimum Requirements for Good Strobe...?
« on: November 11, 2005, 02:14:28 pm »

Hey Everyone,
I want to get some strobes set up for my shows. I know there are a few higher end strobes on the market. I have some criteria though, and I haven't been able to get a straight answer from the companies themselves.

First, They must be able to have a good blinder effect. I'm playing medium sized clubs. Nothing huge, but big enough that the $7.00 strobe from safeway (on clearance after halloween..hehe) isn't gonna work  Very Happy. How many do you generally need to fill a medium sized place?

Secondly, I want to spend the least amount of money I need to (sound familiar?). I know Chauvet makes a mega strobe for around 100, and then there are the neutron (or was it protron?)stars.

What will work for this application??

Thanks,
-Daniel Rheaume

Craig Leerman

• http://www.techworksvegas.com
Re: Minimum Requirements for Good Strobe...?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2005, 02:35:55 pm »

American DJ has the MEGAFLASH strobe. It has an 800 watt bulb and sells for under $150. Its 2 chan DMX controllable (flash rate and dimming). I have seen them in action and they do a good job.

Or, you could use multiple smaller strobes that can sync together. That way, you could start with a few, but always add to them and make a bigger look.

American DJ has the SNAP SHOT strobe series.  The basic SnapShots use a 70 watt bulb, and can link together with 1/4" cables. Linked together, they all flash at the same rate of speed (set by a knob on the back of the first unit in the chain)   You can also use a controller with them that allows you to flash them in patterns or all as one. While nowhere as bright as a big single strobe, the ability to make patterns with multiple units as well as having them all flash as one is way cool.  I own 16 SnapShot strobes and a controller, and I use them as much or more than I do my large single strobe.

I'm so old, when I was doing FOH for Tommy Dorsey, to balance out the horn section I would slide their chairs downstage and upstage to mix!

Christopher Myers

Re: Minimum Requirements for Good Strobe...?
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2005, 04:31:18 pm »

Daniel and Craig, Amen to the ADJ Snapshot II series.  (If you have the s-4, I think pattern 10 is my favorite Smile.) I also have the controller and four strobes, and am waiting to get four more when I get the cash.  Really, really cool starfield-type effect across the entire stage... almost helps me get more gigs.  The strobes are somewhat directional, so you can experiment with aiming them.  I have not used a single large strobe ever, but I can imagine it's nowhere near as exciting.  I only wish that controller was DMX, or at least MIDI controllable... Right now I have it on stage off of a DMX relay pack, with the standby button taped down (it starts in standby when you power the unit).  
Chris Myers
Tangent Productions, LLC
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.059 seconds with 19 queries.