ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Your Mother's Name Here:______________  (Read 3238 times)

Zach De'Cou

Your Mother's Name Here:______________
« on: November 07, 2005, 09:01:29 PM »

Nobody in any position in a production or rental company, big or small, wants to be the idiot who is responsible for purchasing a ton of "rider un-friendly" gear, and thus losing good jobs. I would much rather be the idiot responsible for fixing the problem.

I am interested in replacing my "new" peavey QW boxes with somehting that can make everyone happy, myself included. My partner thinks the QW's are the greatest thing since Victoria's Secret because thats what the goon at the music store told him. I was picked up after the fact, and am now in the position of trying to convince him (my partner, not the goon)that jobs are good. **One should note, he's talking about buying more boxes.

So, in the interest of a small startup who doesent want to remain small forever, I have began shopping for my next boxes.
I've come across the new KUDO boxes from L'Acoustic and am intrigued by their versatility. The L'Acoustic name doesen't hurt either. I haven't, however, been able to find a price list. I know, I know, "If you have to ask how much it costs, you don't need to be here in the first place", but I really want to know.

So in the spirit of getting to the point after typing three paragraphs, heres the poop:

1. What do you do if your "investor" insists on making bad (and expensive) decisions that cost jobs?

2. Are the KUDO boxes even available? If so, who can I contact about getting a quote/demo/backrub?

3b.Has any one here used the KUDO boxes, and if so, what are your impressions?

Any insight/grilling/scalding/scathing remarks are welcome.

P.S. This is what part of the alphabet would look inke if Q and R were eliminated.

Dave Dermont

• http://www.geocities.com/livesound101/
Re: Making Room For KUDO Boxes
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2005, 10:52:28 PM »

Egads...where does one start?

First of all, there is a big jump between the KUDO and the QW. A recent magazine review of the L'acoustics 115XT tells me that these smallish boxes list for $2,600.00 each. Use this number to figure what a KUDO might cost, then multiply that by how many you need to buy to have a proper line array rig. Then add the cost of getting the rest of your gear in that league. Silly things like consoles, power amps, processing, and all the related infrastructure.

The QW is a fine box for what it is, and for the market segment it fills, it's a good choice, and quite a bargain.

A bunch of beautiful expensive boxes is not going to get you jobs. It's just going to make you lose jobs for other reasons.

There is also the chance that the lost jobs are not because of the name Peavey, but because the rig was not right for the gig you were after.

What other gear are you using?

Are you providing the expected level of service with the gear you have? This IS a service business, you know.

If you look at the history of the big touring companies and large regional providers, you will see that most of them did not start out as big touring companies and large regional providers. Some have started out with even less than a brand new QW rig.

I might even be so bold as to say that it takes more than a checkbook to be a success in this business.
Dave Dermont - Chief Lizard, LAB Lounge

WARNING: Dates In Calendar May Be Closer Than They Appear

Zach De'Cou

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2005, 11:14:39 PM »

AnotherDave wrote on Mon, 07 November 2005 21:52

I might even be so bold as to say that it takes more than a checkbook to be a success in this business.

I could'nt agree more.

Buying high end boxes is'nt a quick fix for our "slow startin'" blues.  
P.S. This is what part of the alphabet would look inke if Q and R were eliminated.

Greg Cameron

• http://www.cameronproaudio.com
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2005, 11:32:15 PM »

I believe the MSRP on the Kudo is $7150.00 per box. Needless to say, it's a huge jump in price, performance, and complexity. You might want to investigate something else if you want to upgrade unless you've got $48k just to buy 8 boxes before adding on amps and processing, rigging, training, etc.

Greg
Cameron Pro Audio.

"Procrastinators of the world - contemplate uniting!"

Ryan Lantzy

• http://www.lhsoundandlight.com
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2005, 11:50:36 PM »

Zach De'Cou wrote on Mon, 07 November 2005 23:14

AnotherDave wrote on Mon, 07 November 2005 21:52

I could'nt agree more.

Buying high end boxes is'nt a quick fix for our "slow startin'" blues.  

Zach,

If I may be so bold as to offer advice in *this* forum...  I read your other posts in the lounge.  Based on the fact you are having rider acceptability problems.  Also, based on the description of your 8 cabinet 4 wedge QW rig and and my perception of the market you're targeting... along, with your outboard gear and FOH console I'd suggest one of the following.  

4 x EAW kf650z over 4-8 x EAW LA400.  
4 x kf850 over 4-8x BH760 (Pretty big step up in "future proof-ness")
Turbo Hi-light series
Community SLS960s or SLS980s over some horn loaded sub.  Several guys run an SLS960 over LA400 combo that from what I've read works nicely.
The newer JBL SRX stuff is favored in the lounge but I think that's a step sideways.  You might be better equiped for riders, but there is no room to grow IMO.

It all rally depends on your budget.

Make sure you get somekind of processor (PM me for low cost solutions that I've implemented, I won't waste others time posting them here).

Also keep your Peavey amps for the time being.  If you can make them work power wise with whatever solution you choose, you should be fine.  Like discussed in the other thread over in the lounge, an amp is an amp if it does what you need.

At the level you are at I think you can make the QW stuff work.  It will just take more leg work.  As long as you aren't trying to cover a crowd that they obviously won't do, or run sound for A list acts, regional acts should have no complaints if you explain the system to them.  Just my opinion.

I think getting into a line array at this level is not advised.  It's like buying a formula 1 racecar when you've only ever driven a mustang GT.

Ryan Lantzy
"In the beginner's mind the possibilities are many, in the expert's mind they are few."

Tim McCulloch

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2005, 02:30:18 AM »

Zach-

I dont know exactly where in eastern Oklahoma you are, but there are a fair number of competent, larger companies in Okla/Tex/Ark/Mo... and Kansas, too.  It would be very expensive to take them head-on right away.

I think the questions should be about the market you can, or desire to, service.  What does it pay, and how many of those gigs a year can you expect to do?  What equipment and staff are needed?  Is there more than one competitor within 150 miles of me that does my type of work?

Find the "If you could start over...." thread here on the LAB forum, and read W. Mark Helligner's comments and Dave's replies.  Actually, read the whole thread.  Its not all about spending 500 Large on gear and having clients appear.. its about investing in gear that allows you to make a return on that investment before its commercially obsolete.  For some markets, that might be a nice kick-ass 'flavor of the month' speaker system, or a new stage and roof system, or moving lights.

If you tie up a bunch of money in gear that you only *really need* to do a couple of shows a year, you're creating some very expensive additional capacity.  Invest in things that go out all the time.  Pound for pound, our best ROI is from speakers on sticks... I can spend $2000 for a decent SOS rig, and it will be paid for and making us money in a few months.  I can spend $50,000 on a console and not be able to raise my rates on concerts.  Ask yourself, "where will the (client) money come from?"

Zach, it's not about how "big" an event one can do, but how well you do what you do, and how well you can get paid for doing it.  Corporates pay great... bar gigs pay squat... concerts are in between, with lots of variation...

Good luck, and keep us posted as your firm develops.

Tim Mc
"Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?" Crack The Sky

Nick Pires

Re: Your Mother's Name Here:______________
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2005, 12:48:50 PM »

Zach,
If there are larger companies in your area, maybe you could develop a relationship with one and sub-rent gear when you need more rider friendly stuff. It may take some time but it is something that is done often by smaller companies.
Also mentioned before, providing the quality service is just as (if not more) important than providing the quality equipment.
-Nick Pires
Nick Pires

"It takes a really good drummer to be better than no drummer at all".  -Mark Knopfler

ProSoundWeb Community

Re: Your Mother's Name Here:______________
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2005, 12:48:50 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 21 queries.