ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: The most powerful subwoofer in the world :-D  (Read 20330 times)

Magnus "Magic" Johansson

The most powerful subwoofer in the world :-D
« on: November 03, 2005, 04:36:41 PM »

http://www.sonicflare.com/archives/eminent-tech-trw-17-the-m ost-powerful-subwoofer-in-the-world.php

And cheap too, only 12900 $

I'm sorry, couldn't resist !

Michael_Elliston¶

• http://www.geocities.com/xobt
'the most powerful'
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2005, 06:13:12 PM »

Not necessarily the most powerful,but definately goes LOW.

Is 3hz necessary one might think - Already HT heads are deafening themselves with exxagerated unnatural 20hz...

The only time I get bass in real life is from trucks,trains etc.

Probably a multiple 15" IB will do almost aswell to 10hz while saving some money for the piggybank.

[x]

Re: The most powerful subwoofer in the world :-D
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2005, 08:41:04 AM »

I think this is the most impractical thing I have probably ever seen, and it has been posted over and over again to every audio forum I have visited in the last week. This is getting annoying, like that Royal Device "world's largest folded horn" in the floor of some guy's specially-built listening room that everybody seems to feel the need to alert us to. This is insane and needs to stop.

Yes, we have all heard and read about the Eminent Tech 'fan subwoofer'. Some justification for why it is impractical: Hugely inefficient (the motor runs and draws power even when the blades are not pitched), no baffle (adding to the huge inefficiency by an inability to create a large pressure differential in a big room), and mechanical noise (motor bearings, linkages, propeller rotation).
I've said and written things in the past that I wouldn't throw away in my own trash can for fear that you'd find them. My name is mud.

John Halliburton

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2005, 09:22:20 AM »

I'm not going to say it...I'm not going to say it...  Twisted Evil

John

[x]

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2005, 11:56:33 AM »

a Tom Danley creation? (In reference to the 3Hz horn)
I've said and written things in the past that I wouldn't throw away in my own trash can for fear that you'd find them. My name is mud.

Tim Duffin

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2005, 09:24:50 PM »

How about the fact that it can't possibly be very loud when compared to any speaker that isolates the front wave from the rear wave.  I could see this being very novel until the air in the room just starts loading the fan blades and you get very little increase in volume-- Heck, ill build one of those in my garage tomorrow and save you 12 grand, Ill let you know how it sounds.

T

John Halliburton

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2005, 11:59:31 PM »

From a project originally for Georgia Tech, for sonic boom simulations, circa '91 or so.  They parked the system next to a test house with subjects inside.
Tom could certainly give a better account of the history and the design, although the "loudspeaker" in the photo was half of the bottom end of the system-one more unit like the one pictured, then there were four Basstech 7 cabinets and then some 15" and some 2" horns.

Best regards,

John

Michael_Elliston¶

• http://www.geocities.com/xobt
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2005, 09:39:25 PM »

John Halliburton wrote on Sun, 06 November 2005 17:59

From a project originally for Georgia Tech, for sonic boom simulations, circa '91 or so.  They parked the system next to a test house with subjects inside.
Tom could certainly give a better account of the history and the design, although the "loudspeaker" in the photo was half of the bottom end of the system-one more unit like the one pictured, then there were four Basstech 7 cabinets and then some 15" and some 2" horns.

Best regards,

John

I remember him saying something about this thing,testing it in a driveway. Whats the design idea? Obviously not a regular basshorn but some kind of resonant thingimijig

Graeme Goodacre [Centauri

• http://www.centauriaudio.com.au
Re: 3 Hz horn
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2005, 04:54:20 AM »

US Patent 5140641

Cheers
Graeme

Edit: worked out how to format URL ...... Confused

Phillip_Graham

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2005, 12:28:33 AM »

John Halliburton wrote on Sat, 05 November 2005 23:59

Best regards,

John

Hey John,

For what it is worth, there a still a couple of BT7s parked on a shelf at the end of the high bay in the MARC building here at Georgia Tech.  I can't help but wonder if they are part of the remnant of that system.

I remember seeing it featured on the show Beyond 2000, and that the large horns had a rotationally oscillating vane "driver"  Really testing my memory I think they were painted red.  Funny to think I walk by what might be left of that several times a week...
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 21 queries.