ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: I'm new, HELP!  (Read 3081 times)

Zach Parkscott

I'm new, HELP!
« on: October 29, 2005, 01:42:00 PM »

Hi there.  First of all i am new to this site and forum sites in general, so any tips for anything would be great! haha.

So, I am in a band thats just getting going.  We are in the hunt for PA system.  In our hunt we were directed here.  We have a very small budget (like many young bands) of $2000 CDN.  So far we have been directed to these products:

QSC RMX1850HD
A Mackie or Yamaha MG series mixing board
A pair of Yamaha S115V speakers

I am looking for opinions on these products, and opinions on my situation in general.And I am an EXTREME NEWBIE! to this world of PA systems etc. So feel free to tell me anything and everything!  I'm here to get educated!

Thanks for your comments!

Mac Kerr

• SR Forums
Re: I'm new, HELP!
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2005, 01:51:14 PM »

The first suggestion would be to read the existing information on these forums. There are hundreds of pages covering may topics. You can use the search function to narrow down the number of pages you need to read. There have been many discussions in the recent past on all of the equipment you are interested in. There are always differences of opinion, but by reading what everyone says you can make a, hopefully, informed decision. You should also read the posting rules at the top of each forum that clearly state that you need to use your whole real name as your alias.

Mac

Zach Parkscott

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2005, 01:58:44 PM »

Thanks for the advice.

Zach Parkscott

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2005, 02:22:49 PM »

Whats the JBL and yorkville equivalent to the Yamaha S115V?

Andy Spalla

• http://www.spallasound.com
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2005, 02:32:35 PM »

Go for the Yamaha MG board. I have one and it's great.
-Andy Spalla
GM DNR Pro

Michael 'Bink' Knowles

• http://www.binkster.net/index.shtml
The right amps for speakers
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2005, 03:04:51 PM »

Quote:

...QSC RMX1850HD
A pair of Yamaha S115V speakers...

To get the most out of your speakers you should get an amp that is rated at twice the RMS rating of the speaker. The Yammies you mention are rated at 250w NOISE and 500w PGM. The "noise" spec is the same as RMS so your optimal amp should be 500w at eight ohms. QSC's RMX2450 is a better match. If you go with the 1850HD, it won't be abysmally low in volume, it just won't get as loud while remaining clean and clear.

Here is Chuck McGregor's article on proper matching of amps to speakers:
http://www.prosoundweb.com/studyhall/studyjump.php?pdf=watts

-Bink
Michael 'Bink' Knowles
www.binkster.net

Evan Kirkendall

• http://www.evankirkendall.com
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2005, 03:08:28 PM »

Zach Parkscott wrote on Sat, 29 October 2005 14:22

Whats the JBL and yorkville equivalent to the Yamaha S115V?

JBL MP series
Yorkivlle Elite series

Go for the MG board. It's cheaper and works just as good as the mackie.

Evan
Not all change is good change.

RobertOziemkowski

Re: The right amps for speakers
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2005, 04:04:24 PM »

Michael 'Bink' Knowles wrote on Sat, 29 October 2005 20:04

Quote:

...QSC RMX1850HD
A pair of Yamaha S115V speakers...

To get the most out of your speakers you should get an amp that is rated at twice the RMS rating of the speaker. The Yammies you mention are rated at 250w NOISE and 500w PGM. The "noise" spec is the same as RMS so your optimal amp should be 500w at eight ohms. QSC's RMX2450 is a better match. If you go with the 1850HD, it won't be abysmally low in volume, it just won't get as loud while remaining clean and clear.

Here is Chuck McGregor's article on proper matching of amps to speakers:
 http://www.prosoundweb.com/studyhall/studyjump.php?pdf=watts

-Bink

Bink is, as usual, correct.

You would be underpowered using the Yams with an 1850 in stereo. You could go bridged, but then you'd be overpowering the cabinets, which at your level of expertise, could prove very expensive!

I might add, if you choose the Yams, buy the SM, or monitor version! They'll make fine monitors if/when you have the money to upgrade the mains.

The Yorkville E15 can be used as main or mon.

Zach Parkscott

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2005, 04:08:07 PM »

What does "bridged" mean?

John Roberts {JR}

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2005, 06:15:12 PM »

Zach Parkscott wrote on Sat, 29 October 2005 15:08

What does "bridged" mean?

Bridged in the context of speakers and power amps means connecting both outputs of a two channel power amp to the + and - leads of a single speaker. By inverting the polarity of one of the two amp channels the voltage swing adds so is approximately doubled compared to a single channel. This allows you to put the whole power from a dual amp into one speaker. Care must be taken because the each amp is driving 1/2 the speaker the load looks like 1/2 the speakers impedance. So a 4 ohm speaker would look like 2 ohms to each amp channel.  

JR
 https://www.resotune.com/

Tune it, or don't play it...
-----

Mike McDonald

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2005, 08:08:56 AM »

Zach
It might be helpful to get a bit more info.
I noticed you are spending Canadian dollars, so I assume you are in Canada.  Where in Canada?  Depending on where you are, $2000 can go much farther, depending on what you want and where you shop.
How many are in the band?  What sort of music are you playing?  What sort of gigs are you playing?  The answers to those questions might determine whether you need a 15" speaker system, or something bigger or something smaller, how many channels of mix you require, how loud it needs to be.  It could determine whether it's even worth buying a PA.  In many cases, it might be better to rent what you need.  If the venues are really big, you might determine it's not worthwhile to buy a system for the gigs, but a considerably smaller system for Practise.  The smaller system could require less money, and that money you could invest in good quality microphones or some other asset which can put your mind at rest when you are renting.
Do you have a "sound tech"?  If not, you might consider going with a powered mixer, which will use far less space regarding transport and in the house, but then makes it very uncomfortable for a "sound tech" to use, due to the way the system plugs in.
There are several ways you can go, and more info would give people a better idea of advice for you.  Remember, the advice is free, and worth every penny.
Cheers
Mike Mc Donald

Zach Parkscott

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2005, 01:12:39 PM »

Well i live in BC (canada), but i wanna buy PA equipment in Alberta (canada) to avoid the extra tax.  I live in a little booney town, so i like buying things in places with more selection, like Calgary.  There are 4 of us in the band, 2 guitars, bass, drums, and so far only one vocalist (me).  We are playing hard/heavy/rock/metal and really dig the sound of bands like Black Label Society and Nickelback.  We haven't played a gig yet but hope to before xmas. We are real newbies!  Right now we are running one AKG mic through a 30 watt solid state berhinger guitar amp  Sad for vocals.  So you can probably see why we would like to get a PA system.  I was told early in the PA hunt that if we just need it for vocals, a pair of 12's would do just fine.  But they weren't the best for mic'n the drum kit if we ever wanted to.  Thus thinking the 15's would be a better way to go.  Basicaly we want a simple (simple is the key to anything sound situation in my books), system that is very flexible and allows us to do most things ( mic the drums etc).  We dont have a sound tech.  But that is partially why i am at this site, to learn how to do basic teching.  I hate being at a show where the sound is shit!  I hope this info helps ya'll with your coments.

Thanks again!
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 20 queries.