ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: BS-212 Test Sweeps  (Read 11076 times)

Walt de Jong

Re: Limits of Reflex Cabinets.
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2005, 01:45:14 PM »

A rearloaded conical horn of about 5 metres long with small mouth loaded with the right driver will offer the output of the DTS-20 at 20Hz. The only problem might be a major dip in the 30-50Hz range. Actually you would need a second smaller horn to fill up that response gap. Would be nice if that second shorter horn could use a part of the longer horn for its horn path. That way your design would not be bigger than the longest horn you already had. Try to tap the back of the driver back into the main horn in such a way the second shorter horn is created.

Best regards,

Walt

Antone Atmarama Bajor

• http://www.geocities.com/somesoundgreat
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2005, 02:05:00 PM »

A nice little 18' horn.

I don't think that conical or linear expansion is very effective at coupling the sound energy.  Isn't some logarithmic expansion a little more effective?  Like a Tractrix?  Or Hyperbolic?  It sounds like your talking about recombining the rear wave of the driver at some wavelength relation ship with a separate chamber that reenters the horn at some point?

Interesting.  What about making a high gain cab for something like the Eminent Technology Model 17.  That seems like a very smart idea.  High fidelity HVAC?

Antone-

Walt de Jong

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2005, 02:17:43 PM »

You won't need a 18" to do this, a 12" driver will be enough. Your cabinet will roughly be the size of the DTS-20. In fact I think it will look quite a lot like the DTS-20 Wink

For example Ciare 12.00SW looks like a good candidate. If you got good loading on the cone in the very low frequencies you need less x-max, but in general more is better. Also note that you do not need a driver with very low Fs to get down to 16Hz.

Best regards,

Walt

Antone Atmarama Bajor

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2005, 02:35:33 PM »

No not an 18" driver 5M is ~18'.  Does Horn loading reduce the Fs of the driver significantly the Ciare has a very high Fs 43Hz it is relatively efficient though.  I like the NHT 1259 with a 16Hz Fs.  But its not as efficient as the LAB 12.

How do you calculate the change of the drivers Fs due to horn loading???

Antone-

Michael_Elliston¶

• http://www.geocities.com/xobt
'little 18" 20hz horn?
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2005, 01:47:34 AM »

Antone Atmarama Bajor wrote on Fri, 28 October 2005 07:05

A nice little 18' horn.

I don't think that conical or linear expansion is very effective at coupling the sound energy.  Isn't some logarithmic expansion a little more effective?  Like a Tractrix?  Or Hyperbolic?  It sounds like your talking about recombining the rear wave of the driver at some wavelength relation ship with a separate chamber that reenters the horn at some point?

Interesting.  What about making a high gain cab for something like the Eminent Technology Model 17.  That seems like a very smart idea.  High fidelity HVAC?

Antone-

Exponential and hyperbolic are of the same family.Conical basshorns,when not 'infinite' horns seem to operate similar to exponential types. Tractix arent used for bass due to lack of low output see volvotreter.de 'downloads'
Most folded horns consist of several parabolic or conical sections in series approximating an expo flare.

http://www.geocities.com/xobt/basshorns/basshorns.htm

Mike.e

Antone Atmarama Bajor

Re: 'little 18" 20hz horn?
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2005, 01:43:37 PM »

I always like to think of it as a faceted approximation of an exponential flare.  I guess its sorta connical I would just call it linear expansion.  The curved bends parabolic?  Hmm.  I'm sure inside the horn there will be hotspots at the foci of the bends at very specific wavelengths.

I wish a little 18" 20Hz horn was possible with some serious output.  Very Happy

It be like an air cannon.  Danger do not get close to the sub.  It will shoot a hole through your chest.

Antone-

Too Tall (Curtis H. List)

« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2006, 12:23:33 PM »

Antone Atmarama Bajor wrote on Mon, 31 October 2005 13:43

I always like to think of it as a faceted approximation of an exponential flare.  I guess its sorta connical I would just call it linear expansion.  The curved bends parabolic?  Hmm.  I'm sure inside the horn there will be hotspots at the foci of the bends at very specific wavelengths.

I wish a little 18" 20Hz horn was possible with some serious output.  Very Happy

It be like an air cannon.  Danger do not get close to the sub.  It will shoot a hole through your chest.

Antone-

Hi Antone,

So you didn't build a horn (LAB sub) because it was too big to move, too heavy or too complex to construct?

If you "play out" you want the smallest physical box you can get what you need out of.

What happens when you put the LAB 12 in a smallish sealed box and use a Linkwitz transform (You would of course need active electronics to do this)?

http://www.trueaudio.com/st_lkxfm.htm

Too Tall
        Curtis H. List    
             Bridgeport, Mich.   
        I.A.T.S.E. Local # 274 (Gold Card)
        Lansing, Mich
Independent Live Sound Engineer (and I'm Tall Too!)

Antone Atmarama Bajor

« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2006, 08:49:18 PM »

The BS-212 is the first speaker cab I've ever Built.  I wasn't ready to build something like the Lab Sub.

I am planing on doing a lab sub in a sealed box.

I wasn't sure if I should do the linkwitz Transform or a dual integrator.  4Lab subs in an ~3cu' Cab can produce ~110dB @ 20Hz.  I think it would be good for 1/4 or 1/8th space loading to get  several dB of Gain.  

The only problem with a lab box with a Q of .707 is its tuned to around 50Hz so an integrator would make it only useful to ~ 50Hz.

Is the linkwitz transform a 12dB per octave Slope?

I could get as much output @ 20Hz as the BS-212 with a sealed box if I had optimal boundary loading.

I could get much greater SPL with a lab 12.  But I would need to corner load it to get smooth response down to cutoff (Or have 4 of them).  I would also need a delay to align them with my top boxes.  2 BS-212's are almost as large as 1 Lab 12 (No where near as efficient except bellow 30Hz).  I think the BS 212's are great for a stage rig.  They radiating surface is shallower so more practical than a horn sub.

The biggest problem I have with them is if I'm not careful I can over excurd them in the 30Hz range (just above port resonance) They don't overecurd gracefully (Are there any drivers that do?)  They sorta Clack.  A sealed box would help control that problem.

Anyhow thats why I built the BS-212.  I think its probably close to the best most portable (as two separate cabs) direct radiator "SUB" that anyone can build for the cost (Not specifically my design but just the volume tuning and driver).

Using larger drivers Like the Adire 18's would require a very large enclosure that would not be very portable especially if you wanted to do a diff configuration since this would double the required Volume.

But is it musically Relevant?  It sure feels good.

Blah Blah Blah

Happy New Years.

Antone-      

Too Tall (Curtis H. List)

« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2006, 09:54:14 AM »

Antone Atmarama Bajor wrote on Sun, 01 January 2006 20:49

The BS-212 is the first speaker cab I've ever Built.  I wasn't ready to build something like the Lab Sub.

I am planing on doing a lab sub in a sealed box.

I wasn't sure if I should do the linkwitz Transform or a dual integrator.  4Lab subs in an ~3cu' Cab can produce ~110dB @ 20Hz.  I think it would be good for 1/4 or 1/8th space loading to get  several dB of Gain.  

The only problem with a lab box with a Q of .707 is its tuned to around 50Hz so an integrator would make it only useful to ~ 50Hz.

Is the linkwitz transform a 12dB per octave Slope?

I could get as much output @ 20Hz as the BS-212 with a sealed box if I had optimal boundary loading.

I could get much greater SPL with a lab 12.  But I would need to corner load it to get smooth response down to cutoff (Or have 4 of them).  I would also need a delay to align them with my top boxes.  2 BS-212's are almost as large as 1 Lab 12 (No where near as efficient except bellow 30Hz).  I think the BS 212's are great for a stage rig.  They radiating surface is shallower so more practical than a horn sub.

The biggest problem I have with them is if I'm not careful I can over excurd them in the 30Hz range (just above port resonance) They don't overecurd gracefully (Are there any drivers that do?)  They sorta Clack.  A sealed box would help control that problem.

Anyhow thats why I built the BS-212.  I think its probably close to the best most portable (as two separate cabs) direct radiator "SUB" that anyone can build for the cost (Not specifically my design but just the volume tuning and driver).

Using larger drivers Like the Adire 18's would require a very large enclosure that would not be very portable especially if you wanted to do a diff configuration since this would double the required Volume.

But is it musically Relevant?  It sure feels good.

Blah Blah Blah

Happy New Years.

Antone-      

I have not played around with it so forgive me if I am in error. That is why I sent along John Murphy's web page.

First to the room and any loading from floor, walls or in corners a sealed box is the same as a ported box.

My simplistic understanding is you start out with a driver in a sealed box, so you have a 12dB/oct slope. The Linkwitz transform moves that down in frequency, but maintains the 12dB slope.

So it may be possible that you could tune a ported box a little lower, but with a ported box's 24dB/oct slope. So considering a shallower slope perhaps the Linkwitz transform will not get the last couple of cycles of low end.

Or maybe the LAB 12 driver is not suitable candidate for a Linkwitz transform?

If you have the software you might run the numbers.

Too Tall
        Curtis H. List    
             Bridgeport, Mich.   
        I.A.T.S.E. Local # 274 (Gold Card)
        Lansing, Mich
Independent Live Sound Engineer (and I'm Tall Too!)

Antone Atmarama Bajor

« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2006, 03:48:05 AM »

I think the Lab 12 is a fine candidate for a linkwitz transform, or Dual integrator.  I'm not sure off hand how different the phase shift is between the two circuits but It would definitely be tighter than a vented cab and much smaller.

The only problems I'm foreseeing is that For a live Bass Guitar Rig, Boundaries won't always be available.  And Sheet rock walls start becoming acoustically transparent to Low Frequency Energy in the Low 30's.  So there will not be as much 1/4 or 1/8th space loading at the lower frequencies.    

I am going to build a couple of sealed boxes soon and play with some dual integrators and Linkwitz transform circuits. I'll let you know how it turns out.

The CGN 1808 Looks like it would work nice in a Linkwitz Transform or Dual integrator, the box wants to be tuned to 90Hz so linkwitz transform my not be necessary unless you want to go higher with it like for an LFE channel.

I'm liking the lowered Harmonic Distortion of doing Differential Loading.  My bi-amped rig is almost too clean for Bass guitar.  None of the good extra harmonic distortion from the Bass fundamental being lower than Cab resonance, or all the cone breakup modes.

Antone-  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 21 queries.