ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: A question about large arrayed systems  (Read 7407 times)

Randy Pence

Re: A question about large arrayed systems
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2005, 11:24:05 AM »

not a stupid idea, and why i would never design a dance system around martin w8s.  I think too many designs depend on raising the cutoff for the subs to provide ribsnapping bass.

Chris Davis

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2005, 12:13:43 PM »

Tom Young wrote on Thu, 20 October 2005 08:24

Although this is not commonly used, I have seen this done on some occasions and at least one manufacturer has a specifric product to address this.  See: www.meyersound.com and go to the
DS-4P

EAW also makes such a device as part of the KF series (if I recall correctly).

Historically there have been such products, such as the Martin 2x15 "butterfly" bass horn.  I guess one could argue that prior to us all deploying "real" subs (that extend the frequency response down below 50-60Hz) that most bass horns and/or "subs" we have used covered the range you describe.

Whether or not you really need this depends on the acoustics, the musical style and the whims of you and the others who mix.

I was just wondering about that over on the sub forum.  I do believe you are thinking about EAW's BH853, and unfortunately it seems it is discontinued.  They do show a newer cab on their site though, the BH2312.  It's a 300 lb cab though...Rolling Eyes  I still like the idea of the Meyer DS-4P.  Wonder if they have an unpowered version.  Oww, my back.Razz

Eric Snodgrass

« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2005, 01:55:01 PM »

Rory Buszka wrote on Wed, 19 October 2005 21:15

How would it grab you to have another type of box in addition to the full-range boxes and the LAB Horns, with the same form factor as the rectangular full-range boxes being used (and thus being able to be arrayed together with a consistent appearance) yet designed specifically to deliver bass in the range from 150 to 60 Hz with greater impact and "punch"?

Like Tom and Chris mentioned, Meyer DS4-P is that box.  I've got 4 used in our trap-box clusters, two per side.  They work very well when arrayed and SIMMed with the other boxes in the clusters (6 MSL4-Ps, 2 DF4-Ps, 3 UPA1-Ps, and 3 650Ps per side in addition to the DS4-Ps).
It's all about the right tool for the job and this is the right tool for the job here.
Eric Snodgrass
No, really, I do this for a living.

Phillip_Graham

« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2005, 02:00:57 PM »

Rory Buszka wrote on Thu, 20 October 2005 00:15

Ok, here's the scenario: A big, traditional array of boxes, like Yorkville TX, or EAW KF850, with ground-stacked sub horns like LAB horns.

I'm going to say the same thing as Peter (M.) from down under.  In a large array of something like the EAW 850, or the nexo B1, the undersized low mid horns couple effectively.  This along with the additional directivity of the array, often results in TOO much energy in the region you are talking about.

This is the classic low mid "mud" that has largely gone the way of the dodo thanks to careful design of line arrays.  The dedicated processing of the 850/alpha-type boxes can have substantial cuts in eq for this range to sound balanced.

If you look at the raw frequency response of many of the line arrays (EAW 730 for example), you will see an upward tilt in response from lows to highs.  This is intentional so that the boxes, when coupled together, provide flat response through the low mids.

If you go to meyers website, and read the paper on their LD3 line driver, is covers this kind of low mid eq very effectively.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2005, 02:00:57 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 23 queries.