ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Digital consoles, subgroup latency  (Read 8762 times)

Branson Sagear

• http://www.chicagorecording.com
Re: Digital consoles, subgroup latency
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2005, 06:21:41 PM »

Sorry Doug, Didn't know that so many new rules could happen in the time that I've been gone.

Don't mean to be a dick, but what's the deal with that?  It's the internet chief, where your 'handle' is supposed to represent your personality.  I don't get it, but I'm a conformist so I'll quietly follow along...

Branson Sagear
Chicago Recording Company

Mac Kerr

• SR Forums
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2005, 06:33:58 PM »

That technique has been debated quite a lot here. If you want to do that on a digital console, you can avoid the latency issue by keeping all the "path lengths" the same. Don't assign your uncompressed drums directly to the LR bus, assign them to an extra pair of groups and assign those to the LR bus. The latency issue arises from different numbers of mix bus assignments, keep them the same, no issue.

Mac

Doug Fowler

Real names, once again....
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2005, 06:49:33 PM »

When the LAB first started in '95, the policy was ALWAYS real names, and no handles.

Reason = accountability.

Handles allow people to hide, and say things they may not otherwise say if they had to do it "face to face".  And this business is small enough that many LABsters encounter each other, sometimes on a fairly regular basis.

When the board was sold to other interests, and we moved to a new software package, the owners decided allowing people to post basically anonymously was a better policy than requiring accountability.

From almost any perspective by those who value this community, the accountability issue is what makes the LAB a place pros can trust.  There are no flame wars, there is no name calling, it stays on topic, and everyone knows who they are talking to.

It's the real deal.

Anyone wishing to post anonymously can go to usenet, or a variety of other places.  But for the most part, they suck.  Hard.  And the reason is because they're somewhat anonymous, and lightly moderated.

There's no heavy hand of moderation here.  The rules are simple (for those who take the time to read them), and those not liking the rules can exercise their right to not post.  

That's why we're back to real names.

Make sense?

best regards

-doug, board moderator

"It's got electrolytes.  It's got what plants crave."

Marty Bilecki

• http://www.performancesound.com
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2005, 06:56:43 PM »

Versions 2.0 and higher of Steinberg Nuendo (popular Pro tools  DAW competition) have Automatic Delay Compensation on all inserts , subgroups, and bus outs... It's a great feature that I,m sure will make it's way into the coding of most Live Digital consoles...

Marty Bilecki
 Martin J. Bilecki
 Performance Recording and Sound
 Orland Hills,Il. U.S.of A.
  WWW.PerformanceSound.com

Bada Bing    Bada Boom...  
 Sumptin Blowed up real Good!!!!!!

Geri O'Neil

« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2005, 07:44:32 PM »

Branson Sagear wrote on Thu, 20 October 2005 17:21

Sorry Doug, Didn't know that so many new rules could happen in the time that I've been gone.

Don't mean to be a dick, but what's the deal with that?  It's the internet chief, where your 'handle' is supposed to represent your personality.  I don't get it, but I'm a conformist so I'll quietly follow along...

Branson Sagear
Chicago Recording Company

Maybe you didn't mean to be a dick, but that didn't stop you, did it?.. Mad

This place ain't about personalities, it's a place for professional sound folks of all varying degrees of talent and stature to meet and discuss audio on a pro level. We don't use stupid handles when we discuss things face to face, why must it be different when we're having discussions online, or anywhere else for that matter? And it's only one rule, not "so many". The rule is use your damn real name. And frankly, it kinda says something to me about a person when they have to scroll past soooo many stickys and announcements about the real-name rule and still use some handle. There's one more thing that hasn't been mentioned here...the request, nay, demand for the real name rule to come back was made by some of the people that are the most valuable contributors here, the ones that really make this place what it is and the ones from whom probably countless people here have immensely increased their knowledge and abilities from. And how much did that knowledge cost?

Rightttt.....

So does it really wreck your day to be asked to adhere to the real name rule? Not just you, Brandon, but anyone that has bitched about it? Please....

Geri O
"Stagelite Sound...A Pin 2 hot-compliant company"

Abdul-EQ

« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2005, 08:40:52 PM »

This place ain't about personalities...

Geri O

Dear Geri O,

?
Abdul-EQ
Informative and entertaining

Jonathan 'JP' Peirce

• http://www.5pointeps.com
« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2005, 09:31:58 PM »

I was going to comment, but f*ck it.
sorry for the bandwidth.

Jonathan 'JP' Peirce
5 Point Event Production Services, LLC
http://www.5PointEPS.com

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2005, 09:31:58 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 24 queries.