ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: My first Sub Design.  (Read 12477 times)

Antone Atmarama Bajor

• http://www.geocities.com/somesoundgreat
My first Sub Design.
« on: October 13, 2005, 02:09:07 AM »

Finally popped my cherry.
Here's my First cab ever.  God What hard work.

index.php/fa/2777/0/

I'm Calling it the BS-212.  Partly because BS can be interpreted as many different things.  But It really stands for Bajor/Steckling.  

I researched and designed the cab, (assisted by Harris Tech Bass Box Pro) around the Lab 12 Subwoofer.  Jerry Steckling gave me some construction and configuration suggestions, and graciously provided the facilities to do the work in.

As far as I can tell I'm -4dB around 25Hz with roll off starting around 50Hz.  Though I haven't gone outdoors with the TEF to see what's really happening.

I'm planning on using these for a bass rig, and possibly reference subs when playing with Some DAW mastering.

Just wanted to Share.

I will post all of the outdoor TEF sweeps once I get these out to the field with some test gear.

Cheers!!!

Antone-

Antone Atmarama Bajor

Re: My first Sub Design.
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2005, 02:11:47 AM »

Heres a rear end shot

index.php/fa/2778/0/

Wayne Parham

LAB12 heat exchanger
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2005, 02:50:22 AM »

Since you're using the LAB12, I encourage you to look at the work I've done on improving thermal performance.

Wayne Parham
π Speakers
PiSpeakers.com

Antone Atmarama Bajor

Re: LAB12 heat exchanger
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2005, 07:06:56 AM »

Hmm Don't know if I want it sticking out in front of this cab with the Differential setup.  I don't think I'd be able to get a grill cloth in front.

Is it just aluminum pipe with some heat sink compound attached to an aluminum plate?  Would Copper pipe work well also?

Antone-

Antone Atmarama Bajor

Close TEF Measures
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2005, 10:51:49 PM »

Here are some close measures I took of the driver an inch or so away overlayed with measures from in front of the port (Almost in).

index.php/fa/2786/0/

Antone Atmarama Bajor

5 String Bass rig!!!
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2005, 03:30:24 PM »

Wow these things are fun.
I felt sick to my stomach from sub bass for the first time playing a 20Hz Tone.  I also experience the same voice modulation phenom' that Michael E.  Was talking about experiencing with his dual 2245 CABS.

Here is a shot of the Boxes with my TL606's on top for mid bass to nice Breakup mode upper mid 80-3kHz.   Its nice to finally have some authority in the sub range.  I can really Rock the house with my LOW A string (maybe I should buy some of the .150 gauge strings and tune to low F# Muahh Hahhh Hahhh).

index.php/fa/2788/0/

And its actually reasonably portable LFE for a bass rig if you got a big enough vehicle.    

Evan Kirkendall

• http://www.evankirkendall.com
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2005, 03:39:07 PM »

Sound guys are gonna hate you.   Twisted Evil

Sound guy: "I can hear the damn band over your bass rig. Im clipping 2 JBL SRX725's with PLX2402's bridged trying to get to vocals on top."

Audience memeber: "My head feels like its gonna explode when you are playing!"

Have fun... Smile

Evan
Not all change is good change.

Antone Atmarama Bajor

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2005, 05:30:56 PM »

Awe Come on I'll just be able to compete with the Marshall Stack players.  Only like 123dB at 27.5Hz with 1600Watts.

You know its actually amazing how intelligible everything is with these cabs since the Diff configuration cuts down on Harmonic distortion.  I can really over hype the Sub Region but the vocals are still really intelligible.

Now its really a chore trying to fight for intelligibility over saturated guitar, especially when you can't convince some overzealous guitarist that its in everyones best interest for him to keep his stage levels down.  Talk about spectral clutter.

I love the guitarists that like to play so loud that you don't need to add them to the mix and your standing 75' or more away from him at mix position (even better playing that loud in a little dive bar).  "But dude I can't get my tone if I don't play like that."  But dude your ears are probably so fried that you need to play it that loud to hear any tone.

I should just announce to the audience that I have come to make them sick.

Antone-

[x]

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2005, 01:51:54 AM »

Actually, to be brutally honest, the LAB12s make a lousy direct-radiating pro subwoofer because they require a cab that is so big to get lots of low. You could have easily fit a pair of 15" in the same space, possibly even a pair of 18".

Wayne, have you measured the T/S parameters of the Lab12 with your heat exchanger contraption stuck up the Lab12's hole? Some important things, like Qes, could change. Loudspeaker motors are designed for a certain amount of flux saturation.
I've said and written things in the past that I wouldn't throw away in my own trash can for fear that you'd find them. My name is mud.

Antone Atmarama Bajor

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2005, 03:29:59 AM »

Yes I could have used a couple of 15's Rory Or an 18.  But my goal was extra LFE in a reasonably sized package.  

Even So the only drivers that come anywhere close to the LF extension are TAD 1603's and 1801's  But they cant handle the same amount of power and would require a cab of similar size.  The TAD 18 would require ~10Cu' port not considered.  A 4Lab cab would need to be 12cu' But I can split it into two 6cu' cabs making it much easier to move.  I have a little lower Cut off and a bit more output (with about 8X the power as a trade off).

There are other more efficient drivers out there for anything above 30-40Hz range but the range where the labs win in efficiency below that range.  

Even the Seismic does not have the same level of extension.  In a not so optimally sized box for the Seismic (10Cu Ft.)  Theoretically I can get 115dB @ 20Hz with 1000Watts Port tuned 25Hz.  With the 4Labs In 12CuFt I can get 117.5dB @ 20Hz with 1000Watts Port tuned 22.13Hz.

If I push the Seismic's box up to 12cu' I can get 118.1dB @ 20Hz Port tuned to 23Hz.  But again I dont want too have to move 1 12Cu' box for a bass rig I'd rather move 2 6cu' boxes.  The seismic really wants a 2.3cu' box with a foot wide 61" long port tuning it to 44Hz ("High Fidelity Tuning").  

Another Driver I was considering is the Sonicraft SC-12SC-.
I could have more low extension greater xmax but in a significantly larger cab with less power handling.

So the Lab 12 may not be much of a low to midbass motor but In the low 30's to twenties Watt For watt Is a much stronger subwoofer than a majority of other direct radiators available.  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.018 seconds with 21 queries.