ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A&H GL2400  (Read 4084 times)

Scott Hibbard

A&H GL2400
« on: October 12, 2005, 09:36:12 PM »

Dear Forum Members,

I am looking for general feedback/impressions on the A&H GL2400 when used as a FOH console.  It seems to be a nicely designed console with some great features in this price range (i.e. for aux feeding subs, matrixing, and a 2nd external power supply).

I've downloaded and been through the owners manual in detail and now looking for real world comments/impressions/pro's/con's. What do you like?  What don't you like?

Regards,
ScottH

P.S. If anyone has any other recommendations for a 24 channel/4 bus/4-6 aux. console in this price range, I would be interested in hearing what that might be.

Joe Athon

Re: A&H GL2400
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2005, 10:05:51 PM »

The new Pre amps sound sweet. The newer encapsulated faders are easier to see than the GL 2200. The only bummer is that there are no mute groups, but they added a new GL 2800 that is an 8 buss console with 4 mute groups, of course it's a bit more expensive.

Also the matrix section is somewhat cooler than other similar boards such as the newer GB4 from Soundcraft, because there is an external input on each channel. You are not just confined to thew bus structure, you can take a direct out of any channel right into a matrix channel to do a stereo in-ear mix.

Ted Christensen

• http://TBA
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2005, 10:23:31 PM »

I am renting right now. Its a nice board. I got the 36 channel version.

Its awesome.

The only thing i dont like is it doesnt have the seperate channels for stereo returns like the 2200 with the 2 band eq.
Ted Christensen
320-491-6422

Scott Hibbard

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2005, 09:13:59 AM »

Josepi,

Thanks for the input.  Please correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the GL2400 has the ability to mute groups 1, 2, 3 & 4????

It would be nice to have one "break" (mute) switch to mute all channels except perhaps a stereo channel for break music.

ScottH

Ted Christensen

• http://TBA
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2005, 11:12:14 AM »

Look here at the image..Im sure it shows if it does or not.

http://www.allen-heath.com/ahimages/hi_res/GL2400_top.jpg
Ted Christensen
320-491-6422

Chris Davis

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2005, 03:28:35 PM »

Ted Christensen wrote on Thu, 13 October 2005 11:12

Look here at the image..Im sure it shows if it does or not.

http://www.allen-heath.com/ahimages/hi_res/GL2400_top.jpg

Yes.

Christopher Myers

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2005, 11:37:15 PM »

As a proud owner of a GL2400 for 4 months now, it's the best investment I've made.  It's made for aux-subs, so that's cake.  The faders are sightly offset from the channel strip, and a few times I've moved the wrong fader, but I cope.  I find myself running out of EQ control if I really need to correct a signal, so I have a couple graphic/peqs on hand for inserts.  It has lots of internal jumpers, so if you constantly use the console for a specific setup it's very versatile, however for someone like me who has a different setup every time I go out, it's kinda not practical to set things one way.  

Now you said your use will be FOH, so I'm assuming no monitors... it'll work great in that sense, but if you're going to do monitors too you'll run out of options fast.  Say 2 or 3 downstage mixes and/or a bass/key mix, and drum mix, well that's 4 auxes right there, plus aux 6 for your subs and aux 5 for effects, and that leaves... nothing.  You could use the matrix outs... okay, so sidefills or in-ears, recording, outfill/sidefill, again these things eat up outputs.  Kinda useless EQ on channels 15 & 16 (fixed band) but again I cope (actually if you read the manual, you can see all of the things you can do with channels 15 & 16).  The metering on each channel is great, as is the HPF, polarity flip, and phantom.  

What else to gripe about... I don't like where the headphone jack is located.  Never used the talkback mic, always just used a channel.  Of course, don't let all my complaining turn you off, this is one of the best boards you can buy in this price range and feature set!

My friend pulled a nifty trick on this console when he mixed a show for me.  He used the board as a 6-bus, using the main bus as busses 5 and 6, and used matrix 1 and 2 to sum them all together for the main output!  

The only other consoles I can think of to compare would be the Soundcraft LX7II or the Yamaha 01v96 with an additional external pre.  
Chris Myers
Tangent Productions, LLC

Joe Athon

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2005, 11:10:59 PM »

You are correct.

You can mute the individual group assigns, but what I was referring to was a separate bank of mute assigns that would allow you to do an all kill, or just the vocal mics, or pretty much and configuration of channels you would ever need. The 8 buss versions of the GL series all have the ability to mute the subgroups, but they also have an additional set of mute assigns just for "mute groups".

Also, I would not compare the GL2400 to the LX7 because they are built very differently. Each channel of the GL2400 (and every A&H console) has it's own individually mounted circuit board and each pot is individually nutted to the chassis... similar to the construction of larger touring type consoles.

With an LX7, all of the channels share a single horizontally mounted circuit board. Bad ju-ju if a channel goes bad, as the entire console is essentially out of commission. With an A&H you can replace just that one channel. This also gives you significantly better audio.

Also, the LX7 has no matrix section. Both the LX7 and the GL2400 24 Channel are about $1999.00. To get the equivalent feature set in a Soundcraft you would have to get a GB4 that costs $2999.00, one thousand dollars more.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 20 queries.