ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Color Scrollers vs. Elation Stage Color  (Read 1598 times)

Neil Ottenbreit

Color Scrollers vs. Elation Stage Color
« on: September 13, 2005, 06:56:30 pm »

Hi Guys,

I am looking at putting together a budget lighting system. I still want it to be effective though.

I am looking at 6 Elation Power Spot 250's. 4 on the back truss and two on the sides of the stage.

I want to put 12 pars across the back, but I would like the possibility of more than one color/par.

I have a line on some Pan Command Color Rangers for a good price. Are these decent scrollers? Are there any disadvantages to using scrollers.

I also like the Elation Stage Color. Infinate colors, no dimmer packs, etc. They seem a little power hungry, which concerns me. How much do they typically draw? I know the specs say 15 amps full out, but how many color combos use this much juice? Which colors would I have to avoid.

Also here is a list of colors in the scollers;

O/W, 104 lee, 22 lux, 106 lee, 111 lee,  49 lux, 118 lee, 119 lee, 180
lee ,59 lux, 139 lee

Does anyone know off hand what these colors are or where I can look them up?

Finally am I missing another cost effective product to accomplish what I am trying to do?

Neil

Tom Delay

Re: Color Scrollers vs. Elation Stage Color
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2005, 08:00:14 pm »

The disadvantage to scrollers is the cost of gel strings, which burn up. You can get the collers buy ordering a swatch book. Sorry, I don't work a lot with scrollers. As for the Elation Stage color, I just don't like the idea. Too much draw and i can't believe you'd get good color mixing.

Neil Ottenbreit

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2005, 08:18:59 pm »

Any recommendations? A color changing par can replacement seems like a simple concept, but I haven't found any that are in the budget range of smaller operators.

Neil

len woelfel

• http://www.party-chicago.com/rentals/rentals.html
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2005, 08:40:17 pm »

If your rear colors are just for effect, or if you're not playing in large rooms, I'd look at led.  These are among my fave, as they are very bright, but they aren't cheap.   http://www.advancedlighting.com/products/ledfixtures_liveled .html  I'm no fan of color changers outside of the dancefloor/dj world.  Personally, I just don't like to be at the mercy of the mfg. color selection when it comes to bands.  I prefer full cmy mixing.  How about getting some color mixing stuff like a 250 watt moving head?  I think ADJ/Elation/Chauvet makes some.  I'm also hearing a lot of good stuff about Robe, but have never used them.  

tim mcallister

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2005, 02:08:47 pm »

Neil Ottenbreit wrote on Tue, 13 September 2005 23:56

I also like the Elation Stage Color. Infinate colors, no dimmer packs, etc. They seem a little power hungry, which concerns me. How much do they typically draw? I know the specs say 15 amps full out, but how many color combos use this much juice? Which colors would I have to avoid.

I have two elation stage color. You can get a dozen disticnt colors out of them.

As far as draw, which colors (red green or blue) you use doesn't matter. The lamp has three bulbs, one for each color. Running one bulb at 100% with the others off, draws about 1/3 the amps as all on. I replaced the 600 watt bulbs with 475 watt, and it provides more than enough or my needs.

When trying to achieve colors other than the stock RGB, you will use 2 or 3 bulbs at different intensities. The more bulbs at higher intensities, the more the draw. Simple enough.

I spent some time with mine working up color combinations that drew less than 10 amps for the pair.

tim mcallister

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2005, 06:32:15 pm »

len wrote on Wed, 14 September 2005 01:40

If your rear colors are just for effect, or if you're not playing in large rooms, I'd look at led.  These are among my fave, as they are very bright, but they aren't cheap.    http://www.advancedlighting.com/products/ledfixtures_liveled .html  

Any ideas on what that "Live LED 100" costs. Seems the quality LEDs are going for a few grand.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.084 seconds with 19 queries.